The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

16 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Almost everyone?

Wrong deal at the wrong time.

Should have been keeping cap flexibility and picks instead of acquiring an absolute anchor of a contract.

Agree to disagree... Brock and Petey taking half the season off hasn't helped much... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'd do this deal again 11 times out of 10. We could trade Garland alone right now, for more than what we gave up. Complete no brainer. ALWAYS add value to your franchise when available. And he's young and cheap enough that he can be a solid part of this team when they're in their contention window in a couple years.

Never mind the cap clearance of Player Name/Beagle/Roussel.

And OEL has been fine. Our F's need to score more and he'll get more apples. Plus Rutherford and co need to make a move for a younger RD to flesh out our top 4 (and a defensive/PK 3LD while we're at it) and then OEL/Myers won't need to be relied on so heavily for match up duty. He was always going to get less PP points behind Hughes and has otherwise been stellar defensively. Still has plenty of good years ahead of him.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

The trade is decent... But we are spending 13.26mil on a OEL/Myers pairing. That is doing good defensively, but quite poor offensively. 

Considering the last 3 powerhouse teams we just played their top pairings are Skjei Pesce (9.29mil) , Weegar Ekblad (10.75mil), Hedman Rutta (9.17mil). You quickly see a problem we overspend without getting the performance. And we are stuck with this pairing at least for another 3 years at this caphit. 

Speaks more to how much of a discount those guys are signed at than how much we're 'overpaying' Myers or OEL. Both are making largely market value.

Some of that is because of lower taxes, some of that is guys out-playing their contracts (guys playing top pair that signed as mid pair), some of it is cheaper bridge deals, some of it contender discount, etc, etc.

But sure, we could use some of that.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

JB misjudged where the team was the entire time he was here.

Can only imagine where we would be if we held onto picks and even acquired some extras. Might not have had to overspend on D.

That said I’m glad we got Garland. He’s becoming one of my favourite players.

Agreed imo, seems he thought we were further ahead than we were

I didn't mind the trade, I like the players we got, but I can't help but think this sort of trade came a year or two before it should have 

Edited by Coconuts

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed imo, seems he thought we were further ahead than we were

I didn't mind the trade, I like the players we got, but I can't help but think this sort of trade came a year or two before it should have 

We've posted about this elsewhere but IMO you ALWAYS add to your organization when given the opportunity. Sometimes that means selling (like we both agree we should do with Miller soon). Sometimes that's buying (like we did with getting Miller in the first place).

If it adds to your organization, you do it. Period. Doesn't matter 'where' your organization is in its cycle. It's the literal definition of team building. You BUILD.

spacer.png

Edited by aGENT

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We've posted about this elsewhere but IMO you ALWAYS add to your organization when given the opportunity. Sometimes that means selling (like we both agree we should do with Miller soon). Sometimes that's buying (like we did with getting Miller in the first place).

If it adds to your organization, you do it. Period. Doesn't matter 'where' your organization is in its cycle. It's the literal definition of team building. You BUILD.

spacer.png

And I agree with what you're saying, I just can't help but feel JB was trying to make the moves a more solidified playoff team would make 

Benning did well to dump cap and get what he got though, I credit him on that trade, despite my wishing we'd see more from OEL 

Hughes gets the big pp minutes and prime offensive scenario's, but for 7M+ I've expected more offense from OEL 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And I agree with what you're saying, I just can't help but feel JB was trying to make the moves a more solidified playoff team would make 

Benning did well to dump cap and get what he got though, I credit him on that trade, despite my wishing we'd see more from OEL 

Hughes gets the big pp minutes and prime offensive scenario's, but for 7M+ I've expected more offense from OEL 

We'll likely never see his peak Arizona numbers given he's behind Hughes (and getting older) but I think if you get a better team around him (the young, top 4 RD you and I agree we need, some big, defensive/pk D to free him from ALL the match up duties, Pettersson getting back to normal/forwards scoring more etc), we see his offensive numbers rebound a bit.

Otherwise, I can't really complain about how he's playing and those are managerial issues, not OEL issues.

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wait… didn’t the Yotes take on 12% of his salary?

Edited by Me_

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We'll likely never see his peak Arizona numbers given he's behind Hughes (and getting older) but I think if you get a better team around him (the young, top 4 RD you and I agree we need, some big, defensive/pk D to free him from ALL the match up duties, Pettersson getting back to normal/forwards scoring more etc), we see his offensive numbers rebound a bit.

Otherwise, I can't really complain about how he's playing and those are managerial issues, not OEL issues.

Probably not, and I don't expect it, I just expect more. But yeah, improving our top 4RD would probably go a long way to getting more out of him. Myers is about all we've got, I'm not convinced Hamonic is top 4 caliber anymore. But we haven't seen enough of him to get a very good gauge on where he's at. 

And yeah, he's rock solid defensively. He plays the minutes he's given, it's on management to figure things out.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Wait… didn’t the Yotes take on 12% of his salary?

Yup, his original cap hit was 8.25M per season. But he's still making 7M+ as a Canuck. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably not, and I don't expect it, I just expect more. But yeah, improving our top 4RD would probably go a long way to getting more out of him. Myers is about all we've got, I'm not convinced Hamonic is top 4 caliber anymore. But we haven't seen enough of him to get a very good gauge on where he's at. 

And yeah, he's rock solid defensively. He plays the minutes he's given, it's on management to figure things out.

Yup, his original cap hit was 8.25M per season. But he's still making 7M+ as a Canuck. 

I think he’s excellent. He checked Ovy the entire game and Ovy couldn’t get going. 

More than not, OEL is at the right place at the right time making the right play. 

He is finally getting utilized the right way by the coaching staff. He’s making his partners, mostly Myers, better players.

The knock on him was that he may be slow. Turns out he’s got some serious wheels so that knee injury is in the rear view mirror. 

Uninspired play? I surely don’t see it. He’s everywhere on the ice. 

He is worth every penny.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I think he’s excellent. He checked Ovy the entire game and Ovy couldn’t get going. 

More than not, OEL is at the right place at the right time making the right play. 

He is finally getting utilized the right way by the coaching staff. He’s making his partners, mostly Myers, better players.

He is worth every penny.

Exactly. Continue to flesh out the team around him as we continue to come out of our rebuild, and the assists/points will come.

Like I said, that's largely a management (or in the case of Pettersson, Boeser etc,  other player) issue.

I have zero issues with how OEL is playing given the context of the rest of the team, and his usage.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The knock on him was that he may be slow. Turns out he’s got some serious wheels so that knee injury is in the rear view mirror. 

Uninspired play? I surely don’t see it. He’s everywhere on the ice. 

He is worth every penny.

Nobody said anything about his play being uninspired, but if you're being paid 7M+ there come the expectations of producing offense alongside a solid defensive game. You can explain this, and laud him for that, but at the end of the day folks have expectations of highly paid players and they're not wrong in doing so.

Yes, he's a great player defensively and we're a better team because of it. No, folks aren't wrong in questioning his point totals. Dude hasn't had fewer than 24 points since his rookie season, he's got 6 points. 

You can acknowledge what a player does well while being critical at the same time. Offense from the defense has been an ongoing problem this season, prior to this season even. It can't just be Hughes going forward. OEL is paid a premium. No, how he's deployed and yadda yadda isn't on him, that's on the coaching staff, but the bottom line is we need more offense from him and the rest of our D. 

Hughes has two goals, OEL has two goals, Schenn has one, Burroughs has one, Poolman has one. Hughes leads the way with 28 points, followed by Myers with 10. And then OEL with 6, Schenn with 6, Hunt with 4, Burroughs with 3, Poolman with 3, and Hamonic with 1. Offense from the D is a serious question mark. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nobody said anything about his play being uninspired, but if you're being paid 7M+ there come the expectations of producing offense alongside a solid defensive game. You can explain this, and laud him for that, but at the end of the day folks have expectations of highly paid players and they're not wrong in doing so.

Yes, he's a great player defensively and we're a better team because of it. No, folks aren't wrong in questioning his point totals. Dude hasn't had fewer than 24 points since his rookie season, he's got 6 points. 

You can acknowledge what a player does well while being critical at the same time. Offense from the defense has been an ongoing problem this season, prior to this season even. It can't just be Hughes going forward. OEL is paid a premium. No, how he's deployed and yadda yadda isn't on him, that's on the coaching staff, but the bottom line is we need more offense from him and the rest of our D. 

Hughes has two goals, OEL has two goals, Schenn has one, Burroughs has one, Poolman has one. Hughes leads the way with 28 points, followed by Myers with 10. And then OEL with 6, Schenn with 6, Hunt with 4, Burroughs with 3, Poolman with 3, and Hamonic with 1. Offense from the D is a serious question mark. 

For sure. 
But OEL is indeed a defenseman. And oh boy can he defend. That is the surprise. To many, he was done.

Can OEL be inspired to play? Check.

Will his knee be a problem? Check.

Has he slowed down? Check.

Is he regressing? Check.

Can he find his game back? Check.

OEL is back on his game, defending like a 1D.

The Canucks just won a fantastically defended game against Washington and OEL was in the way of anything the Capitals tried to muster. OEL 24:07, and Myers 25:28, oh they’re just heating up. 

Completely shut down Washington 5 on 5. 

Having OEL on the team makes Myers a nasty piece of work to play against, it allows Hughes to grow his game until he doesn’t need Schenn anymore; perhaps developing one of the best future Hall of Fame defensemen in the game.

Poolman, Hunt, and Burroughs also benefit from having OEL on the team, watching him defend almost half the game, 82 games a year. That’s gonna pay off massive dividends whoever is in the system.

And finally a durable defense. (I don’t consider Hamonic part of the team; he’s the modern day Ballard)

And now that Pettersson may be looking to turn the corner, watch out. That’s a game changer completely and highly likely OEL is going to start to benefit from that.

But as a Defenseman, boy can he defend. 

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Me_ said:

For sure. 
But OEL is indeed a defenseman. And oh boy can he defend. That is the surprise. To many, he was done.

Can OEL be inspired to play? Check.

Will his knee be a problem? Check.

Has he slowed down? Check.

Is he regressing? Check.

Can he find his game back? Check.

OEL is back on his game, defending like a 1D.

The Canucks just won a fantastically defended game against Washington and OEL was in the way of anything the Capitals tried to muster. OEL 24:07, and Myers 25:28, oh they’re just heating up. 

Completely shut down Washington 5 on 5. 

Having OEL on the team makes Myers a nasty piece of work to play against, it allows Hughes to grow his game until he doesn’t need Schenn anymore; perhaps developing one of the best future Hall of Fame defensemen in the game.

Poolman, Hunt, and Burroughs also benefit from having OEL on the team, watching him defend almost half the game, 82 games a year. That’s gonna pay off massive dividends whoever is in the system.

And finally a durable defense. (I don’t consider Hamonic part of the team; he’s the modern day Ballard)

And now that Pettersson may be looking to turn the corner, watch out. That’s a game changer completely and highly likely OEL is going to start to benefit from that.

But as a Defenseman, boy can he defend. 

He can defend, absolutely, but that hasn't been my point of contention. I haven't argued against his defense. 

I didn't think he was done, just buried on a lousy Arizona that got his best and didn't deserve it. Imagine having a younger OEL while the Sedin's were closer to the peak of their powers. 

He's played well this season, given up very few goals when on the ice. Saw a stat about it the other day. Him and Hughes give us to legit top 4 guys. Myers maybe gives us 3, though I'm not convinced he'll be around beyond his contract. Guess we'll see over the next couple seasons, assuming he finishes them here. 

I'd disagree about Washington, our D played well but they absolutely didn't shut them down. Ovi alone had 7-8 chances, that win against Washington is primarily on Demko. 

The rest of our D benefit from having OEL around, agreed. He'd benefit from Pettersson finding his game, agreed. Though it'll take more than a game for Petey to silence doubters and rightly so. 

OEL and Hughes are the only D we have that I consider keepers, it's not as if I don't see value. He needs to produce more, our entire team needs to produce more. Unlike some of our other D he legitimately has the ability to take over games and produce more, we need him to. 

As for Hamonic, I don't see him being a long term fixture here. I've been disappointed in how this season has played out for him. The injury ain't his fault, but the rest of it? Yeah, that's on him. I think our D needs upgrades on both Myers and Hamonic, or at least replacements sooner than later. Maybe Woo and Rathbone can take bottom pairing roles, that remains to be seen. But I'm strongly of the opinion that Rutherford will need to make significant trades to help the roster get younger in key areas like D. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Agreed.  
OEL and Garland are great, but seeing where the team is even with them…..

Id much rather have the 1st round pick and all that juicy cap space that was coming.  
Could have utilized it to take a bad contract or two for some picks.  

Could you imagine where we’d be if we had used our top 10 pick last year, the inevitable top 5 we’d have this year, plus another 1-2 firsts this year?

Rebuild would be almost done. Just time to develop.  

Instead we have no picks and a couple aging guys to compliment our garbage team. Gahahahah

Klimovich will be better than Guenther. And Garland helps our core now and is young enough to be a core player.

As for picks this year, JR can always trade Miller and Boeser at the deadline if we are nowhere near a playoff spot. We would easily get two 1sts plus two top prospects for Miller and Boeser. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, AC30 said:

Garland needs to be traded for a bigger version of himself 

he will be neutralized in the playoffs against a big defence 

Nah he’s a beauty.

Every cup team has a guy like him. He just needs more big bodied guys on the roster so he isn’t the only one going to the net.

• Vintage 2