The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Got to love these hockey “experts” who wrote OEL off as a has been. Garland has been good but this OEL has been a definite top end defender so far….

An argument could be made that some people don't actually like the Canucks, or even hockey in some cases, because they don't want the stuff they analyze. 

People like Jfresh sound like they know what they are talking about, but really, they don't. Or at least he doesn't actually know how to analyze the numbers he crunches. The analytics are missing context.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 1

On 11/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, Jester13 said:

I think people are forgetting that this deal was a win for Arizona as well. They get a ton of money freed up next year and a very high pick in this upcoming draft, plus what they got from us with 9th OA and a 2nd. 

This was a really good hockey trade from both sides. 

Neither team gifted players , That was the best deal for both teams to move those players and salary that any other team was willing to do

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, J-P said:

Analytics are useful imo but definitely has flaws, and definitely don't paint the entire point. Your comparison with learning to swim from watching YouTube is spot on, and there's also lots of contributions that don't show up in analytics. EP:s back check before the OT goal last game, OEL calmly avoiding the forecheck, Horvat dumping the puck just deep enough for tired linemates to change, just as a few examples.

Yes exactly, the little things like you mentioned is exactly what I'm talking about. 

Honestly my biggest gripe is with people who cherry pick stats to crap on someone without actually watching them. I think they can be useful to an extent for sure when used side by side with the eye test.

7 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

3rd

People who use analytics as a be all end all in hockey remind me of people who think they can learn to swim by watching a YouTube video thinking theory can transfer to application then abruptly drown or get eaten by a shark lol.

Analytics might work for baseball but until they can quantify chance, chaos etc the data will always be subjective. 

There is a thread on HF praising Quinn for his excellent play and a bunch of haters who look only at analytics say he's still horrible 5on5, when in reality the numbers are skewed because our forwards have been poor for the most part offensively. the reality is he's been on the ice for 3 GA 5on5 while being on the ice for 8 of our 14 goals 5on5.

All one has to do is watch to see the truth.

Analytics are garbage and the fact that somebody decides what's considered a high danger shot or all the rest of them that show you something without factoring in the randomness and the million little things that can't be crunched into a number or % is why they can only be taken with a grain of salt.

Very well said. Hockey analytics are such a joke. Completely don't measure what people want to believe they do. Unless they actually change the way they gather stats these analytics will never produce true results.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

E r i c k s s o n

9GP 0G 1A 1Pts

Beagle

10GP 0G 0A 0Pts

Roussel

6GP 0G 0A 0 Pts

Garland

10GP 3G 7A 10Pts

OEL

10GP 1G 1A 1Pts

But Player Name had some goals in the preseason, so for sure we lost this trade, hehe

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Canuck Luck said:

Home run trade.

Nah, too early to say anything. 
I hope you realise that Loui, Beagle and Roussel only is on their roster for a year they’re tanking. 
So if Coyotes take 1st in the draft part of it is because the Canuck ”stars. Then we have how Guenther is beside Garland in the future.

We got OEL for a bunch of years.

So come back in around five years. 

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, Me_ said:

E r i c k s s o n

9GP 0G 1A 1Pts

Beagle

10GP 0G 0A 0Pts

Roussel

6GP 0G 0A 0 Pts

Garland

10GP 3G 7A 10Pts

OEL

10GP 1G 1A 1Pts

I think for this season though Arizona is winning the trade since they did this so they can get to the basement. 

OEL and Garland have been good players for Vancouver but not enough to make them a playoff team 

• Vintage 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, rekker said:

I can't believe how much of an improvement Garland and OEL are.......and yet we suck. Never saw this coming. 

Regression elsewhere on the team is countering improvement by these two.  If the regression reverts itself like hopefully we saw tonight, we're definitely a playoff team, and if everyone plays to their potential (unlikely to have them all do that at the same time), we're a division and cup contender.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Regression elsewhere on the team is countering improvement by these two.  If the regression reverts itself like hopefully we saw tonight, we're definitely a playoff team, and if everyone plays to their potential (unlikely to have them all do that at the same time), we're a division and cup contender.

Bang on, bang on. 

As much as I love the OEL and Garland acquisition, trade Roussel and Beagle hurt the PK. They were the fixtures along with Motte and Sutter the last few seasons.

I do think the Canucks sorta lack that gritty aspect in the bottom six without Roussel and Beagle stirring it up. I love the trade as much as it was necessary, but gotta admit we are sorta missing Roussel and Beagle too on the PK and probably in their fearlessness.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As much as I love the OEL and Garland acquisition, trade Roussel and Beagle hurt the PK. They were the fixtures along with Motte and Sutter the last few seasons.

I do think the Canucks sorta lack that gritty aspect in the bottom six without Roussel and Beagle stirring it up. I love the trade as much as it was necessary, but gotta admit we are sorta missing Roussel and Beagle too on the PK and probably in their fearlessness.

Roussel didn't really PK...would you rather have Roussel and Beagle, or Garland.  I know what I'd pick every time.  We'll be able to find inexpensive fits on the PK eventually and hopefully Motte helps out when he gets back, he's a better PKer than any of the guys who left us.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

With a bit less whining too

I think both threads had 150 pages of whining, and then when they saw how good the trade was when the season started it all turned to positive posts.  Actually, I believe there was a lot more discussion before the season started in this thread than the Miller thread, but the Miller thread got a ton more activity when he started putting up a point per game for us.

It's kinda funny, we now get a younger point per game player, and a number 1 D while unloading a ton of dead cap for just a slightly higher price and so far the reaction to this trade has been a lot more tempered than the excitement from the Miller trade at this point.  It might be because we got off to a decently hot start in 2019, while it's been a much slower start this time around, but it also might be because we're now more expecting that sort of thing because of the Miller trade

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...