The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

On 5/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head

If he can be as good as he was his first year here with a solid partner like Bear or Hronek I think he won't be such a burden. He does play tough minutes. With Bear his numbers were alright it was with Schenn and Myers he really struggled. 

And realistically his struggles this season were the least of our problems. Goaltending crucified us. I like the chances of him bouncing back when we have guys like Gonchar and Foote to learn from.

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

And realistically his struggles this season were the least of our problems. Goaltending crucified us. I like the chances of him bouncing back when we have guys like Gonchar and Foote to learn from.

Same. He won’t play at an $8.3M level, but if he can play at say a $5M level we will be ok which is what he did his first season. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Same. He won’t play at an $8.3M level, but if he can play at say a $5M level we will be ok which is what he did his first season. 

We are paying OEL 7.2. Hronek is awesome do he should be able to carry OEL. Heck Htonek carried the entire Detroit D. 

On 5/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head

If he can be as good as he was his first year here with a solid partner like Bear or Hronek I think he won't be such a burden. He does play tough minutes. With Bear his numbers were alright it was with Schenn and Myers he really struggled. 

Schenn can’t skate and Myers us a dough head. Hronek will carry OEL to a fantastic year. That cute little graph will go sharply up. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schenn can’t skate and Myers us a dough head. Hronek will carry OEL to a fantastic year. That cute little graph will go sharply up. 

I agree. Schenn was productive offensively but a bit of a nightmare defensively - I think due to his lack of foot speed. I don't mind bringing him back for $900k because of his physicality and leadership. 

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head

Burroughs doesn't have the size but I think he is a better depth dman, especially on the PK - so he might be the better option. 

Could contain: Text, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Face, Head, Document

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I agree. Schenn was productive offensively but a bit of a nightmare defensively - I think due to his lack of foot speed. I don't mind bringing him back for $900k because of his physicality and leadership. 

Burroughs doesn't have the size but I think he is a better depth dman, especially on the PK - so he might be the better option. 

Yup. Much rather have Burroughs for our 7th D at 750k than Schenn for the 1.5 - 2 he’s going to get somewhere. I’m thinking Woo will push for a spot. He plays a mean game, which we need. 

24 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Good job on the picture JFRESH 

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Face, Photography, Portrait, Water, Text, People

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Body Part, Neck, Beard, Adult, Male, Man

On 5/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, AnthonyG said:

Those 3 “random” numbers are a far greater problem.

-27.51 is Spencer Martins GSAA in all situations for the whole season. He had the worst GSAA in the entire league. He played 29 games. Thats basically 1 bad goal per game.

-11.63 is Delia’s GSAA for the season in 20GP 

one bad goal every other game. He ranked 16th worst.

-10.12 is Demko’s GSAA leading up to his injury, which had him ranked as the 3rd worst GSAA. In a total of 15GP.

But OELs defensive numbers are what concerned you… lol his job isnt to make saves. His job is to shut down the opposition. 

Do you understand that you and many others focus on guys like OEL or Myers is turning a complete blind eye and gaslighting the actual problem? Blame the D all you want, when the worst stretch of hockey combined for -49.26GSAA in a combined 64GP you think OEL was the problem??? Not even Lidstrom would be able to save us. 

When speaking about Hughes vs OEL in their defensive contributions you cant even comprehend

1) Quality of competition (OEL takes on the tougher match ups which would result in higher chances of being scored on)

2) dZS% - Higher dZS% puts OEL at further risk of being scored on. Meanwhile Hughes is down in the o-zone far away from his own net, yet is still surrendering a pretty high amount

3) In less dzone time Hughes the opposition is scoring in fewer entries and time spent than when OEL is on the ice.

4) whos fault is it if the goal comes from the other side? 
5) is it the dmans fault for soft goals?

I would like to think you understand QH is not a shut down dman right? And if he isnt (which he is not) who does that leave as your shutdown pair? Because Schenn was stapled to Hughes to make up for his deficiencies. So that leaves OEL and or Myers in shut down roles 

Hey why dont we use a timeline that OEL was actually present for??? Not use a timeline where  he was on IR and Demko returned and learned how to play goalie again? Something I was sarcastically trolling you about with your original timelines and your way of breaking it down as “comparable”

Season opener to OEL’s injury

QH 52GP 

OEL 54GP

5v5 TOI

QH 970:10

OEL 908:36

So far lookin pretty close

GA

QH 44

OEL 59

ooooh yikes… not lookin good for OEL. Right?

Lets look at their expected goals against to breakdown how much of those goals they were  “at fault”

xGA

QH 44.16 - every single goal accounted for

OEL 44.88 - 14 times our goalie let OEL down.

SCA 

QH 447

OEL 454

HDCA

QH 213

OEL 203

HDGA 

QH 27

OEL 29

LDCA

QH 319

OEL 354

So far Hughes surrenders more high danger chances in slightly more TOI and lets be honest the MAJOR bulk of his TOI is in the ozone and OEL’s is in the dzone.

Oooh this is my favourite 

LOW DANGER GOALS AGAINST

QH 4

OEL 14

CLEARLY THATS A GOALIE ISSUE. Not making the easy saves OR they are shots coming from an area of the ice defensemen are not responsible for.

Offensive zone starts

QH 132

OEL 105

Further adding to my point QH spends more of his icetime further from the net. 

Defensive zone starts

QH 101

OEL 123

oZS%
QH 56.65%
OEL 46.05%

dzone faceoffs

QH 262

OEL 313 

51 more faceoffs in the dzone for OEL. 

How about the PK??? Seeing how QH is this almighty defensive shutdown second coming of Lidstrom that you believe him to be and OEL is a pylon

PK TOI

QH 50:09

OEL 55:46

GA

QH 10

OEL 15 

Before you get all excited, just remember… its about breaking down that number further to gain a true representation of what is actually happening.

xGA

QH 9.03

OEL 6.04

What happened bro?? OEL has more time short handed and less xGA than Hughes??

scoring chances against?

QH 56

OEL 53

looking worse and worse for Hughes short handed as it did at 5v5

HDCA - (high danger chances against just so you fully understand)

QH 31

OEL 21

oooooooh yikes. My argument looks better and better the further this goes.

HDGA 

QH 4

OEL 5

looks like QH had his bacon saved quite a few times in those 31 attempts. 

LDCA

QH 31

OEL 29

LDGA 

QH 2

OEL 5

3 more low danger goals allowed by garbage goaltending and you still think OEL is responsible. Yet when breaking down their time spent in the Dzone OEL plays far more minutes than QH yet Hughes is allowing nearly the same or greater chances etc which would indicate that teams need less time to score goals or get chances when QH is in the dzone than when OEL is in the dzone. If you truly think that all 970 mins of QH 5v5 time from game 1 to game 52 that he played were all in the dzone, you should probably stay off the forums and stop embarrassing yourself. 

i mean this sincerely, this is the most impressively constructed argument in favor of an opinion that most disagree with.. 

that used to include me until i read your synopsis and evidence

im 100% with you, i cant argue with facts presented like that

impressive. we will watch your career with great interest. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:53 PM, Coconuts said:

Why don't we just trade OEL and Garland for players with a single season remaining, a 1st, a 2nd, and a 7th smh

we can do that if toronto hires Benning

Fully expect his highness to get another 6x6 (the regal special) deal as well

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Provost said:

So reporting that we are buying out OEL… sweet.

Gotta make sure we do more of that long term pain stuff to incrementally help our chances of being a fringe playoff team over the next couple years.

Ridiculous situation. This team is going to be unwatchable for the next little bit, due to mismanagement of this team. This buyout could've been waited. The Hronek trade could've waited.

Honestly, just sell the team already. That's how I feel about this now.