The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Loui laughs in $36 million of Aqua mans money

Sad Money GIF by G2 Esports

At least no assets were lost in signing Loui.  Just assets lost in unloading him.

OEL was the doubled down.  We gave up assets to acquire the refuse and short of a buyout (which will leave more landmines than Gillis left Benning in terms of future cap penalties) would cost us more assets for another to trade for him.

And this was a guy that was given how many years as GM?

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

At least no assets were lost in signing Loui.  Just assets lost in unloading him.

OEL was the doubled down.  We gave up assets to acquire the refuse and short of a buyout (which will leave more landmines than Gillis left Benning in terms of future cap penalties) would cost us more assets for another to trade for him.

And this was a guy that was given how many years as GM?

The saddest thing is that when benning was hired I spent 2 ish seasons crapping on the hiring.  Then another 2 being told he has a plan and to be quiet, then 2 more being like ok now he is rebuilding the twins are gone let's see what he can do and then....this.

I tried to defend some of his moves but man....

• Cheers 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ballisticsports. said:

The Canucks own one of the leagues most expensive bluelines, while being at the bottom of quality blue lines

I recall Aqua was upset at JB for having to pay newly signed Gagner $6.3 million to play in the minors for 2 years

Doubtful he is happy to pay Meyers $5 Million to not play or to move Ekman-Larsson and his remaining four years of contract in this cap economy because it would cost the Canucks multiple first round picks, at a minimum, and that’s a price they just can’t "Bear"

I believe Aqua is tired of paying multiple players top dollars to sit on the bench, or pay to play for other teams (or minors), giving away draft picks to get players and more pics shortly after just to get rid of them (was a disaster) like he let JB get away with and has told the new management, I know this mess is on me, but just fix it the best cheapest way you can

I think Meyers will be let go after the $5 million paid and defence will look like this next year

Hughes-New Addition

Hirose-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Maybe OEL comes back better, on a 3rd line he is well overpaid ,but better suited for it to excel or be decent (but that is a result of this horrible trade we made)

He can't even be demoted to the farm (if we wanted too) if he underperforms in next 4 years

Depending on who the new addition is, that blueline would get eaten alive in the playoffs. No amount of puck-handling will spare them when the opposing team ups the forecheck intensity. Look at every team in the playoffs. Each blueline has an element of size and aggression to go along with puck handling and offense. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The saddest thing is that when benning was hired I spent 2 ish seasons crapping on the hiring.  Then another 2 being told he has a plan and to be quiet, then 2 more being like ok now he is rebuilding the twins are gone let's see what he can do and then....this.

The tough part is that he did some really good things but much of it was wasted in some real oddball decisions.  I mean, everyone makes mistakes but he made some really whoppers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I gave him until the disaster of an offseason when we lost Toffoli, Markstrom, and Tanev while signing/acquiring Virtanen, Holtby, and Schmidt.

He had a chance that year to undo some mistakes and build on some really good reputation we were building around the league after the bubble play.  The team was heralded as the most likely Canadian team to hoist the Cup next.

He ended up batting absolutely zero that summer and on top of that, did it in a way that disrespected well regarded leaders like Tanev and I that impacted the locker room.  If they wanted to move on from Tanev, that is fair.  Just tell him that he has earned his chance to look into free agency and that you don’t think you can match what he can get on the open market.  Offer him something you can afford, like a 2 year deal at $3 million per saying that is all you can do while still building a winning roster… but wish him well and say he can circle back when he sees what is out there if he wanted to.  Doing it that way doesn’t piss off the entire team.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Provost said:

I gave him until the disaster of an offseason when we lost Toffoli, Markstrom, and Tanev while signing/acquiring Virtanen, Holtby, and Schmidt.

He had a chance that year to undo some mistakes and build on some really good reputation we were building around the league after the bubble play.  The team was heralded as the most likely Canadian team to hoist the Cup next.

He ended up batting absolutely zero that summer and on top of that, did it in a way that disrespected well regarded leaders like Tanev and I that impacted the locker room.  If they wanted to move on from Tanev, that is fair.  Just tell him that he has earned his chance to look into free agency and that you don’t think you can match what he can get on the open market.  Offer him something you can afford, like a 2 year deal at $3 million per saying that is all you can do while still building a winning roster… but wish him well and say he can circle back when he sees what is out there if he wanted to.  Doing it that way doesn’t piss off the entire team.

Yep, I was one of the people that thought it was time to move on from Tanev mostly due to his inability to stay healthy but definitely the way it was done was disrespectful and upset the locker room. 

I still think the most egregious move that summer was picking Virtanen over Toffoli though. Toffoli clearly meshed well with the team and was immediately productive, plus wasn'tasking for a crazy contract. Jake on the other hand showed up to training camp out of shape for the umpteenth time and even though he eventually ended up having a decent regular season he showed up out of shape again to the bubble to the point that he got healthy scratched the first game. It didn't take hindsight to see that picking Jake over Toffoli was the wrong call.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 1:25 AM, AnthonyG said:

Hahahahahahahahahah hey officer Doofy how many games played does Hughes and OEL have???? Are you that incompetent and that careless that when you did your “research” you didnt even look at games played AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMGGG THIS IS HYSTERICAL. Your brilliance just shines through hahahahahahahahahaha

Hey bud hows Neidermayer and Scott Stevens doing? Err sorry Olli Juolevi and Erik Gudbranson 3732E68F-4B74-44FB-9C54-C293A7D03722.thumb.png.e0bbcf824f6f28042ac0a6b66b0bc105.png4E4F43EB-8A9F-40CB-98DD-F27525E0A027.thumb.png.0f5993346a15b06812439ee78846f742.png

I think you should just sit out of the hockey talk Alf. I dont want to keep pulling up embarrassing quotes from you.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahhahhahhaahhaahhahhahaha

Oh you are confused??? Me too man, I’m confused why you are comparing total 5v5 ice time with completely separate games played.

So I just pulled a Dougiedumbdumb and decided I’d just throw sh*t in a blender that makes no sense and throw out “dougiefacts”

riddle me this. Who was Vancouvers top defensive shutdown pair last season, that was also one of the top shutdown pairs in the entire league.

Me neither

54 is equal to 66 therefore the ice time comparison is fair 

lmfao

in that case 

OEL has more goals and assists than Hughes…. According to you and your “calculations”

Hey stupid...I only mentioned total minutes because you were comparing TOTAL goals against for both Hughes and OEL, while Hughes at that point had played a ton more minutes due to OEL having been out. You must be some kind of complete idiot if you think I based Hughes' superiority over OEL on their minutes played. You must be a bigger idiot to compare TOTAL goals against when one player had played over 10 more games and a ton more minutes than the other.

BTW...here is The Athletic's assessment of OEL's and Hughes' (among others) offensive and defensive impacts.

Edited by dougieL

9 hours ago, BoKnows53 said:

Beagle, rousell and Erik are out of the league. Jim Bennington character players and his big free agent signing. We were bad, the retool was so dumb.

Honestly I have no issue with his decision to bring in Beagle and Roussel. For a young developing team, Roussel brought competitiveness to and pushed the bottom 6 and Beagle brought in leadership and mentorship qualities as well as insulated the young guys from having to shoulder heavy defensive loads. Even LE, even though I disagreed with the signing, I understood the justification behind; bring in a player that has previously had chemistry with the Sedins to try and give them one last run.

Where Benning screwed up was that once the team developed enough to no longer need them, rather than waiting out one more year and freeing up 12M in cap space, he decided to try and rush things, keep the Canucks tight to the cap, and saddle the Canucks with a new anchor contract.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:13 PM, Provost said:

Letting Markstrom go was the right move, Toffoli and Tanev were a whiff. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ye know. I don't think I agree. Having Marky and Demko = 11mill. We are currently paying 8 mill on goaltending when you factor in Holtbeast. I think we buy an extra 10 wins for 3m with Markstrom Demko at the expense of a 3rd line W or #5D. Which is more than enough to make the playoffs. 

We couldn't run it back with Tanev he was  too brittle. The fire Benning chants would only intensify. It only takes a glance at this forum in that timeline to know what the temperature was in this city. 

Toffoli meh. I won't cry a river there.  Another middling w to throw on the pile with the plethora we already have.  

I would have loved to see the Marky Demko saga continue. I think a huge contributing factor in Ulmark's incredible season was that he only played 49 games. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, dougieL said:

Hey stupid...I only mentioned total minutes because you were comparing TOTAL goals against for both Hughes and OEL, while Hughes at that point had played a ton more minutes due to OEL having been out. You must be some kind of complete idiot if you think I based Hughes' superiority over OEL on their minutes played. You must be a bigger idiot to compare TOTAL goals against when one player had played over 10 more games and a ton more minutes than the other.

BTW...here is The Athletic's assessment of OEL's and Hughes' (among others) offensive and defensive impacts.

Buddy who you callin stupid and an idiot?? This took you EIGHT WEEKS TO REPLY???? 8 F***ING WEEKS?????? TWO WHOLE MONTHS AND THATS ALL YOU GOT???

i’ve been living rent free in that tiny little head of yours. Lmao you’ve been losing sleep over this lmfao. 2 months later at midnight on a saturday  you finally get the words you’re trying to say out of your mouth hahahahahahahahahhaahhahha

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It was just terrible timing that all those contracts were coming to an end and the Canucks were in a random playoff spot. If we weren’t in a playoff spot we don’t buy Taffoli and likely trade Markstrom and Tanev for good returns. That’s the Canuck luck lol

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Ye know. I don't think I agree. Having Marky and Demko = 11mill. We are currently paying 8 mill on goaltending when you factor in Holtbeast. I think we buy an extra 10 wins for 3m with Markstrom Demko at the expense of a 3rd line W or #5D. Which is more than enough to make the playoffs. 

We couldn't run it back with Tanev he was  too brittle. The fire Benning chants would only intensify. It only takes a glance at this forum in that timeline to know what the temperature was in this city. 

Toffoli meh. I won't cry a river there.  Another middling w to throw on the pile with the plethora we already have.  

I would have loved to see the Marky Demko saga continue. I think a huge contributing factor in Ulmark's incredible season was that he only played 49 games. 

We keep Toffoli and Tanev we don’t acquire OEL and Garland leading to the salary issue. 

• There it is 1

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We keep Toffoli and Tanev we don’t acquire OEL and Garland leading to the salary issue. 

Yup. We went from 9 mil for Tofu and Tanev to 9.8 mil for Jake and OEL. And to do that we gave up assets, like a 9OA. 
Benning :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1