The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

Just now, gurn said:

Nobody is doing the team any favours by jumping on a guy this early on.

If it puts pressure on him to get into game shape or shore up his skating, sure it does. If Green is doing his job, he'll certainly be "jumping on him" for this. 

Believe me, I would love for there to be some context to this where it looks better for OEL, but unless some is provided, we can only go with what we see.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This is the information we have available to us on the player at the moment, and it is concerning, especially considering that his foot speed has been a big issue for him since his knee surgery. Nobody is doing the team of the player any favors by looking for excuses to give the guy a free pass.

And right there you have it. Perhaps he is focusing more on proper stride instead of speed? Rehabbing through repetition, reducing chance of re-injury. It is just the beginning of training camp… no need to go all out and potentially have a set back.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

but unless some is provided, we can only go with what we see.

No, another option is to remember that there is context, to everything  you see.

I see OEL has not denied being an axe murderer, thus without context I can only assume he is an axe murderer?

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

No, another option is to remember that there is context, to everything  you see.

I see OEL has not denied being an axe murderer, thus without context I can only assume he is an axe murderer?

If the next video out of camp was OEL axe-murdering you'd tell us to wait for the context. 

4 minutes ago, -SN- said:

If the next video out of camp was OEL axe-murdering you'd tell us to wait for the context. 

Double bladed axe or single sided?

I'm just not big on  looking at a 30 second long(max) video to decide whether someone is in shape, trying, injured, or dogging it.

As far as I know they traded for OEL to play defence, not be first up in a fastest skater competition.

I was reading on Reddit and it looked like some fans actually expect OEL to be a solid top pairing guy.

I personally think that any fans expecting a 1/2 guy are going to be disappointed. My expectation is a #3 guy who can put up 30-40 points. He's overpaid, but that's irrelevant to me. All I care about is how he plays going forward and I'm okay with him being a #3-level guy. Fans expecting him to be a #2 or especially a #1 d-man are going to be very disappointed IMO.

50 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Looks like conditioning rather than skill or ability to me. Probably reflective of how amateur the Yotes training is. Reminds me of when Tryamkin showed up from the KHL. 

Don't worry, Tucker Poolman can skate and will rush the puck up ice for OEL :lol:

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I was reading on Reddit and it looked like some fans actually expect OEL to be a solid top pairing guy.

I personally think that any fans expecting a 1/2 guy are going to be disappointed. My expectation is a #3 guy who can put up 30-40 points. He's overpaid, but that's irrelevant to me. All I care about is how he plays going forward and I'm okay with him being a #3-level guy. Fans expecting him to be a #2 or especially a #1 d-man are going to be very disappointed IMO.

If our #3 guy outs up 40 pts I'm okay with that lol

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If our #3 guy outs up 40 pts I'm okay with that lol

Yeah, I think his offense will be pretty decent, but I think it's his defense that will drop his play down to a #3 level. Perhaps I could say that I expect that offensively, he's a #2, but defensively, he's a #4, and thus averages out to be a #3.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I think his offense will be pretty decent, but I think it's his defense that will drop his play down to a #3 level. Perhaps I could say that I expect that offensively, he's a #2, but defensively, he's a #4, and thus averages out to be a #3.

I think OEL will make fans really appreciate how Myers plays in the D zone. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Sounds like Edler but at 7.25 per.

4 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Sounds like Edler but at 7.25 per.

Maybe, but Edler did shore up his defense in later more recent years. Current Edler has very little offense though, so OEL probably has a huge leg up on him there.

38 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Don't worry, Tucker Poolman can skate and will rush the puck up ice for OEL :lol:

14 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I think OEL will make fans really appreciate how Myers plays in the D zone. 

10 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

When Edler was OEL's age, Edler was a much much better defensive player. OEL is no where near Edler in the D zone. 

Well aren't you a fountain of positivity. All that from one bag skate. :rolleyes: hahaha