The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

for reference sake

who are the last 3 players that you can name that have been rejuvinated by a trade?

we have him for 6 with a NMC so are we going to be happy during the final 3 years he is here, or do we trade him for some other overpriced player we hope will be rejuvinated ?

I think we should call this line of thinking the Loui Ericksson effect

Hoping a player performs for 1/2 the length of their stay here

(loui didn't, that is why fans will now accept 1/2 the service for full pay)

Remember when fans spoke fondly of the Trevor Linden trade tree?

We are now on the second branch of the Loui E trade tree

how many more time will an overpriced player be punted down the road to be replaced by the newer version of 6X6?

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/nhl-players-all-stars-after-trade/

Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, and Blake Wheeler are the ones that I definitely remember and are on this list. The rest I'm a little iffy on.

For the Canucks: Sven Baertschi, Todd Bertuzzi, Markus Naslund. Brendan Morrison too.

Pearson, who was toiling away in Pittsburgh and needed a change of scenery.

A lot of players actually when you think about it, lmm. Sometimes I wonder whether or not you actually watch the team that you criticize. Maybe this is proof. :picard:

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, and Blake Wheeler are the ones that I definitely remember and are on this list. The rest I'm a little iffy on.

Ryan McDonagh.  And he was huge in the two TBay Cups.  OEL is going to be HUGE in us winning the Cup.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Taylor Hall, after which trade?

Seguin and Wheeler are interesting, as neither were as old as OEL and both left Boston and went to teams that have only had 2 good playoff runs during their combined 18 years of service

Seguin scored 6/13 playoff goals in Boston before the trade

All 3 players are cronic playoff missers

Is that what we hope to get from OEL

besides OEL's numbers never dropped, he has been a consistant .5 ppg player, its his defense that has sagged

anyway, let me rephase that Q

name 3 players to resurect their careers at age 30+

16 minutes ago, lmm said:

Seguin and Wheeler are interesting, as neither were as old as OEL and both left Boston and went to teams that have only had 2 good playoff runs during their combined 18 years of service

besides OEL's numbers never dropped, he has been a consistant .5 ppg player, its his defense that has sagged

Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Eric Staal?

Anyway, I think OEL will have a good season beecause this is probably the best roster he's EVER played with in his career. If he sinks or swims, it's on him.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Everything you said is true. 

So Canuck fans should be concerned about where his mind is at and what kind of condition is he in?

I do not think so. He has had time to come to grips with his Mom passing. His finger should be healed. He will not wear the "C" in Vancouver and a new coach.

His is also coming over with a friend in Garland and the Sedins are here. If he spends time with the Twins then you know he is going to be doing something active: Hiking, biking, and or soccer.

This could be the best thing he has done in his career, thus his on ice performance could be seasons highs in the next couple years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

The Sedins, Bergeron, Marchand, Burns...

Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Naslund, Koivu, Sakic, Bourque... 

All the above, had their best years or match their best in their 30s and continue to be good hockey players into their retirements. That just off of the top of my head. OEL Will do the same.

Edited by vancan2233
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

The Sedins, Bergeron, Marchand, Burns...

Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Naslund, Koivu, Sakic, Bourque... 

All the above, had their best years or match their best in their 30s and continue to be good hockey players into their retirements. That just off of the top of my head. OEL Will do the same.

you have lost track of the bouncing ball

the point was bounce back after being traded after a fall off of 3 seasons

Burns is the only player to have a career on both sides of a trade and his 46 points pre-trade was not actually a slump

So you are 0/11

Half of those players were traded at some point in their careers (Sedins prior to the draft, Bourque before his final season, Datsyuk after his career ended) however none of them had a fall off prior or a bounce back after

Who can you name who had a fall off, got traded, then made an all star recovery?

and was 30+

Edited by lmm
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

I do not think so. He has had time to come to grips with his Mom passing. His finger should be healed. He will not wear the "C" in Vancouver and a new coach.

His is also coming over with a friend in Garland and the Sedins are here. If he spends time with the Twins then you know he is going to be doing something active: Hiking, biking, and or soccer.

This could be the best thing he has done in his career, thus his on ice performance could be seasons highs in the next couple years. 

you paint a picture of a delicate flower

the guy was a cap dump traded for more cap dumps

he will get eaten alive in this market

so, have we been reduced to bringing in "Veteran Leadership" that needs Veteran leadership from retired players?

the sky is falling

Edited by lmm

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Eric Staal?

Anyway, I think OEL will have a good season beecause this is probably the best roster he's EVER played with in his career. If he sinks or swims, it's on him.

Pavelski- no

Kessel - no

Staal - which move?> still no

if he sinks or swims its on Jim

Just now, lmm said:

Pavelski- no

Kessel - no

Staal - which move?> still no

if he sinks or swims its on Jim

This isn't a yes/no thing.

I'm telling you, Pavelski, Kessel, and Staal are three players that are 30+ who got traded and ended up doing great in new environments. You don't get to set the parameters, and change them when they're not convenient to your original point.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, lmm said:

you have lost track of the bouncing ball

the point was bounce back after being traded after a fall off of 3 seasons

Burns is the only player to have a career on both sides of a trade and his 46 points pre-trade was not actually a slump

So you are 0/11

Half of those players were traded at some point in their careers (Sedins prior to the draft, Bourque before his final season, Datsyuk after his career ended) however none of them had a fall off prior or a bounce back after

Who can you name who had a fall off, got traded, then made an all star recovery?

and was 30+

You keep changing you question and get schooled in hockey history. Your have been answered just admit you did not think about your question before posting. OEL has only fallen short on defending (not by much) his points have been pretty much the same his whole career.

Two things with all the players I listed (big proof of 30+ production matching career production) and why they continued to succeed into their 30s: Elite skating and hockey IQ. They had one or two at very high level. OEL has both, not as elite as some, but high in both. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Cheers 1

I totally did not realize that OEL put up two 20+ goal seasons in this league. Impressive any way you slice it.

Also funny to think that a guy who put up 24 points from the back end, in a shortened season, is widely considered a bum. He must have been atrocious defensively to get that kind of treatment... I honestly couldn't tell you, I don't watch Zona games.

But I'm excited to see what he can do. 

I recall he has a sneaky wrister, is that how we got all those goals? Is there room on PP1 beside Quinn?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, lmm said:

for reference sake

who are the last 3 players that you can name that have been rejuvinated by a trade?

we have him for 6 with a NMC so are we going to be happy during the final 3 years he is here, or do we trade him for some other overpriced player we hope will be rejuvinated ?

I think we should call this line of thinking the Loui Ericksson effect

Hoping a player performs for 1/2 the length of their stay here

(loui didn't, that is why fans will now accept 1/2 the service for full pay)

Remember when fans spoke fondly of the Trevor Linden trade tree?

We are now on the second branch of the Loui E trade tree

how many more time will an overpriced player be punted down the road to be replaced by the newer version of 6X6?

I see what you did here - asked us a clever question while supplying a clue in your question. Of course the answer is our very own Trevor Linden! Stump CDC - great thread.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

You keep changing you question and get schooled in hockey history. Your have been answered just admit you did not think about your question before posting. 

not at all

I started with someone else saying  "OEL will bounce back"

I have reframed my question because the so called answers do not fit the current situation

I'll start again,

OEL has, by his own admission, had 3 bad seasons

OEL says he will bounce back

OEL is 30 years old

OEL was just traded, and some posters believe that the trade will trigger an amazing bounce beck

OEL has 6 years remaining on his $7M NMC contract

So which of your examples fit the same criterion?

none

I have reworded my question because some posters have veered away from the situation involving OEL

If you want to answer my question, start with a player in a similar circumstance to OEL

it is OEL we are talking about

If I try real hard I can probably come up with a player or two who have done this feat, however given that the names given do not fit the criteria, it seems rare

so,

name a player who had 3 bad seasons

was 30 years old

was then traded

had a great bounce back

the player of your choosing need not play well for 6 years, ( but OEL needs to) but must play well for at least 3

I'll check back tomorrow

• RoughGame 3

31 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Pavelski

Pacioretty 

Tavares

Oshie

I think Pacioretti is a good example

Maybe Tavares, however he is only 30 now after 3 years in TO

I don't see Oshie or Pavelski slumping before moving to their new teams

none have gone through a 3 year slump

Pacioretti had one bad year in Montreal, then similar numbers his first year in Vegas, then back to his old self

but I think the preassure was similar

Tavares too, I guess.

Oshie had the same numbers fro 2 years for and aft

Edited by lmm
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think Pacioretti is a good example

Maybe Tavares, however he is only 30 now after 3 years in TO

I don't see Oshie or Pavelski slumping before moving to their new teams

none have gone through a 3 year slump

Pacioretti had one bad year in Montreal, then similar numbers his first year in Vegas, then back to his old self

but I think the preassure was similar

Tavares too, I guess.

Oshie had the same numbers fro 2 years for and aft

OEL has not slump in point production. He only admitted to not defending well for the last couple years. This is where your argument is weak. Good on you accepting at least one example though, many example were given. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, lmm said:

not at all

I have reframed my question because the so called answers do not fit the current situation

I'll start again,

OEL is 30 years old

OEL was just traded, and some posters believe that the trade will trigger an amazing bounce beck

none

I have reworded my question because some posters have veered away from the situation involving OEL

If you want to answer my question, start with a player in a similar circumstance to OEL

If I try real hard I can probably come up with a player or two who have done this feat, however given that the names given do not fit the criteria, it seems rare

so,

was 30 years old

was then traded

had a great bounce back

the player of your choosing need not play well for 6 years, ( but OEL needs to) but must play well for at least 3

I'll check back tomorrow

By his own admission three bad seasons? His point totals going back from last year, adjusting for 82 games - 43, 37, 44, 42, 39, 55, 43, 44, 24, 32, and 11. The guy is so regular he must be eating Colon Blow cereal for breakfast every morning.

But back to your question…Patrick Roy had three “down” years of GAA of 2.95, 2.97, & 2.50. After being traded at 31 he “bounced back” with 2.68, 2.32 & 2.39.

What’d I win?!!

5354D2EF-D9A8-43E4-AFF7-539B795FAF45.gif

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, lmm said:

not at all

I'll start again,

OEL is 30 years old

none

so,

was 30 years old

was then traded

had a great bounce back

I'll check back tomorrow

Ok I will play this game:

1) Only his defense has slowed down, factors into why could be:

A) Mind was not into games because of his mother passing.

b) broken finger.

c) Again a mind state: he should not have been given the worry of wearing the "C".

d) Coach and him where not a match.

2) Most decline in play show up in declining points not the case here

3) Even all the facts in point 1, he still put up points, why because points come naturally for him.

4) Like the saying goes defense can be learned (OEL case more focus) offense is a gift.

5) Show where his point production has drop off.

6) Content goes a long way in an argument. 

7) All the example I gave show that players past 30s can produce just like in their 20s. How they did on defending is another thing. 

Edited by vancan2233
spelling
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

you paint a picture of a delicate flower

the guy was a cap dump traded for more cap dumps

he will get eaten alive in this market

so, have we been reduced to bringing in "Veteran Leadership" that needs Veteran leadership from retired players?

the sky is falling

Your right, he going to produce like 5 points and be a minus 100.  How dare the Sedins support friends. Do you even think before you post. Our is your hate for: Vancouver, Benning or OEL that high that its makes you look like a fool.

• Haha 1