The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

15 hours ago, Darkstar said:

For anyone reading this in 2026, you'll know that this was a good move. 

any more predictions, I mean what will the price of bitcoin will look like in 2026?, what will the price of Amazon look like in 2026?. Obviously you think you can read the future. So I expect you to provide me with some answers. 

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

A deeper look at some of his basic underlying metrics suggest that although his puck possession is alright, many of his other defensive stats look quite poor. His offense is obviously still solid, and it looks like he was used as a 2/3 guy in terms of TOI. I think we'd be wise not to expect too much out of him, but hope he can regain at least some of his game back.

Some positives:

- Reasonably responsible on the penalty front for a defenseman

- Played on the 2nd PK unit last year

- Decent puck possession

- Two years removed from receiving some Norris attention (2018-19, he received a single 3rd place vote, so he finished 11th in voting)

- Played on PP1 for Arizona all of last year

- Had the highest PP goals per 60 of all Coyotes defensemen (goals by the team while on the ice for the PP)

thanks for your post and especially for your balance view on OEL, outlining not only the negatives but also the positives. I think there is a good chance that Canucks don't get full value out of his contract, not only for the final two years of his contract but over the whole duration of his contract. Good chance that Canucks added another inefficient contract, can't imagine that OEL is going to have a performance which would justify his cap hit of 7M+ over the next 6 years.

How often has Benning mentioned that he wants to add size and strength? countless times and then he adds a D-Man like OEL who is not know for playing a physical game. Let's take a look at the left side of Canucks D:

OEL + Hughes + Juolevi: none of them is know for playing a physical game. I  expect that Canucks are one of the easiest teams and softest teams  to play against next season.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

There is zero chance he puts up 40 points if Hughes is on the PP1.

He averages a bit over 23 even strength points a year, so maybe making such a definitive statement is a bit rash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

I disagree. We will have a stronger PP2 thus year, and he should play plenty of 5 on 5. I'm not going to sit here and say it's going to happen, but I think it is at least possible.

11 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Think we'll try 2D on the first PP unit with OEL here? Horvat in the middle with Petey and Boeser shooting on their off wings and both OEL and Hughes at the point

Hughes cannot be the shooter on the point, it's his biggest weakness. Have to try something different. Maybe it's OEL, Rathbone has a bomb. There's a few options.

5 hours ago, Josepho said:

Sam Girard had 32 points in 48 games on the 2nd power play. It's definitely possible, it be foolish to say zero chance.                                                          

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

thanks for your post and especially for your balance view on OEL, outlining not only the negatives but also the positives. I think there is a good chance that Canucks don't get full value out of his contract, not only for the final two years of his contract but over the whole duration of his contract. Good chance that Canucks added another inefficient contract, can't imagine that OEL is going to have a performance which would justify his cap hit of 7M+ over the next 6 years.

How often has Benning mentioned that he wants to add size and strength? countless times and then he adds a D-Man like OEL who is not know for playing a physical game. Let's take a look at the left side of Canucks D:

OEL + Hughes + Juolevi: none of them is know for playing a physical game. I  expect that Canucks are one of the easiest teams and softest teams  to play against next season.

Hearing that they’re still in on Hamonic. 

• Cheers 2

On 7/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, Iron Fist said:

For anyone reading this in 2026. Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Zach Hyman just signed 5 million for 8 years and they're around the the same age.  

We paid 2 million a season more on the capto save 2 years of dead cap.

We got best deal so far of the off-season. 

By far.  Trade Ladd away, 3 2nds.  Trade Eriksson, Beagle and Rousell while addressing two glaring holes in the years roster and beyond, one with a player with the most Upside, proven anyways, and the best player in the deal while also shedding dead cap overspent on bottom line players.  Kinda epic.  

there is some buzz about Klim.  He is in the Q Import draft, hope he is encouraged to come over vs the KHL rookie development school, gulag style.  6’2 202, RW/C, passionate and loves to score and play aggressive.  

some scouts wanted this guy in the first, Maybe JB was one of them.  

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hearing that they’re still in on Hamonic. 

Hamonic should really think of what a bounce back year in Vancouver would be like.  

could be a lot of fun.  We need a Murzyn role playing d man, Hamonic is a prefect fit as a $&!# down RHD with size.  

The players know a lot more about guys like OEL and they will show their feelings by how they sign or seek trades elsewhere.  This is a GM trade and a locker room trade.  

Schmidt might want to reconsider staying as a 3rd d man vs a top pairing guy.  He has alot less pressure with OEL here than last year.  

like it our not, OEL is our big off season improvement to our defence.  He cannot make things much worse than Edlers offensive game and should surrender less penalties so we already are improved.  

love edler, but I won’t miss his penalties.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Josepho said:

That entirely depends on how the PP is structured, doesn't it?

Green seems to favor a 4F/1D unit, but with Hughes, OEL, Rathbone and Myers all being viable PP options, maybe he chooses to go with a 3F/2D unit this time around. And with the added help of Garland and Hoglander coming into his own, I expect the 2nd unit to be more lethal this season, which should get them more ice time. 

It's possible Horvat moves down to the second unit as well, considering that Garland is pretty good at getting garbage front of the net goals and the 2nd unit is in desperate need of a good center. 

Whatever the case may be, the 2nd unit should be miles better than what it's been over the last few years.

Unit 1

Miller- Petersson- Garland

Boeser- Hughes

Unit 2

Hoglander- Horvat- Podkolzin(?)

OEL- Myers

I think something like that could look great, and would allow the 2nd unit to get more ice time.

9 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

How would you know what a balanced view is, son?

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

difference between Canucks and other teams when it comes to drafting is that other teams have a much higher rate of success with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Romanov as a second rounder just one example.

It's a joke - I can't say it in other words - that Canucks have zero prospects in the system than can step in and play 3C or 4C. On defence it's only Woo who might make it to the NHL. Canucks amateur and pro scouts have done a poor job over the last couple of years.

Dahlen a miss. Goldobin a miss, Leipsic a miss. Chatfield a miss, Rafferty a miss. Gadjovich most likely a miss because he can't skate, Lockwood a miss won't make it, most likely.

Best way for Jim is to trade 2nd and 3rd round picks away because Canucks won't strike with those picks.

This franchise isn't going anywhere.

Forgetting Hoglander and Demko? :lol:

You don't watch Canucks hockey, do you? You're just a troll.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

How would you know what a balanced view is, son?

Forgetting Hoglander and Demko? :lol:

You don't watch Canucks hockey, do you? You're just a troll.

To be fair, Benning has drafted so many young star players, it’s easy to miss one or two. :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To be fair, Benning has drafted so many young star players, it’s easy to miss one or two. :towel:

Wolfgang Durst praises the poster for having a "balanced" view, but nothing in Wolfgang Durst's reply was positive at all. Everything was overwhelmingly negative, and you can see an example of his blatant bias above. He's anchoring himself onto someone tried to be balanced, and filling the rest of the post with negativity. That poster is not objective at all.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Similar age as Shea Weber when he arrived in Montreal, so I think OEL will be fine here. Keep in mind that this is a player who waived his NMC and willing to list Vancouver as one of the teams. I have a good feeling about OEL will rebound once he put on a Canucks jersey. He doesn't have to be OEL of 4-5 years ago, all he has to be is a dependable 2 way defenseman that can relieve the pressure of Quinn Hughes, that would be huge. I look forward to watch OEL.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

The dude talks about praising the poster for having a "balanced" view, but nothing in Wolfgang Durst's post was positive at all. Everything was overwhelmingly negative. He's anchoring himself onto someone tried to be balanced, and intentionally anchoring it with negativity. That poster is not objective at all.

Looking at our team now compared to last week, and we look really good.  We’ve got three really good lines, and a quality top four D.  

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Garland

Pearson, Dickinson, Pods

Schmidt, OEL

Hughes, Myers

Bone, (Hamonic?)

OJ

Demko

?

• Cheers 2