The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

On 7/26/2021 at 4:50 PM, NUCKER67 said:

What if OEL plays his best hockey in VAN?  I know he's older (30), and some may feel his best days are behind him, but I think there's lots left in the tank. He unhappily toiled in the desert his whole career, and still managed to produce.

VAN has Brad Shaw to work with the D. He won't necessarily be relied on to be the #1 guy, nice to have Quinn Hughes as your team mate. There's great support for him here with the Sedins. Maybe we haven't seen what OEL can actually do yet.  I know, super optimistic, but 30 isn't that old and should have 4-5 good years left. Now go get that Cup.

That's the big gamble Jim Benning is taking.  The big gamble, to me, is a calculated risk worth taking.  As you say, OEL is going to have a cast of up-and-coming and established players to support him and for him to support, so I think OEL will be returning to his Norris-type performance.

As well, IMO, the defence should be better with OEL in the line-up because, at the very least, it will re-distribute responsibilities so everyone's strengths, rather than their weaknesses will be exploited.  Couple this with the Brad Shaw factor (systems and skills coaching), I believe that each player will be 10% (Myers and Hamonic) to 20% (Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi) better...and hopefully even Nolan Baumgartner gets 10% to 20% better than he has been.  Add in Tucker Poolman and Luke Schenn and this defence crew will be significantly better than last season. 

As far as a number for OEL is concerned, I would love to see him wear #32 (sort of a combination of Henrik and Daniel's numbers) - #3 to honour Henrik and #2 to honour Daniel, two guys that endorsed OEL.  #32 is also the reverse of #23, which a lot of players have been doing.

• Cheers 2

im a bit concerned about the D. OEL is the only one with capacity to move alongside Huggybear, He is the one to match QH:s speed and cover the Defensive aspect as well as having outstanding offensive capacities. But besides those 2and  Myers being ok theres not much left. OEL is going to have to take on a huge amount of minutes that schmidt and Edler carried. Whos going to take on some of those minutes? i think its looking kinda thin besides those 3....

I wonder if Superman got the same type of scrutiny as OEL.

Do you suppose people would say stuff like "Yah, he's ok but he's been slumping for the last 5 years. Really hasn't saved the world since that time he got rid of Dooms Day. I'm mean sure, he's put out the occasional nuclear fire, saved planes from falling out of the sky and all that. But he just hasn't been the same.

No longer a super hero, just a measly, old, has been hero, now".

Come on, what the heck do people expect.

Guy is a career .50ppg d man

avg. 23:26 toi in his career

avg. 20:58 last season

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am a huge Edler fan.  Class player and did everything for us.

Enter OEL.  6 years younger.  Better

Comparison:

Career/game

Category     OEL            Edler

Pts.             0.5               0.44

G                0.17              0.11

A                 0.34              0.34

PIM             0.63              0.72

Ave TOI       23:43         22:91

Blks             0.90             1.89

Hits             1.75             1.53

TK               0.34             0.32

GV              0.56             0.66

OEL has received Norris votes 5 times and placed 7,9,11,14,17 (Most recent 2018-19, 11th)

Edler has received Norris votes 1 time and placed 13 (2011-12

OEL has received All Star votes 5 times (Most recent 2018-19)

Edler has received All Star votes 1 time (2011-12)

Other than blocked shots, OEL is a superior player in all categories. 

I don't say this to disparage Edler, but to point out that JB has added a really awesome player.  If he was a free agent and anybody signed him for 6 years at 7.25 mil yesterday, the hockey world would be praising that GM.  JB added him with a top 6 winger while dumping 12 million in dead contracts along with a 1st round pick.  I remember when Dubas was praised for giving away Marleau(who was a much better player than Eriksson, Rousel, or Beagle) and a 1st for a 6th round pick just to save 6 million.

Of course I can't predict how Ekman Larsson will play, but in the right perspective this is an awesome deal and Benning deserves huge props!

Go Canucks Go!!!

1 more thing, of all the defenseman the Canucks have every had, only Jovo had more career years in the Norris voting.  Jovo had 7, OEL 5, nobody else had more than 2.(FYI after 2 years, Quinn has 1 and he is 21)

So he is in the conversation for the most talented defenseman we have ever had and he has not played a game. Quinn is already the best offensive defenseman we have every had.  So these two are a pretty impressive pair to build the defense around.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am a huge Edler fan.  Class player and did everything for us.

Enter OEL.  6 years younger.  Better

Comparison:

Career/game

Category     OEL            Edler

Pts.             0.5               0.44

G                0.17              0.11

A                 0.34              0.34

PIM             0.63              0.72

Ave TOI       23:43         22:91

Blks             0.90             1.89

Hits             1.75             1.53

TK               0.34             0.32

GV              0.56             0.66

OEL has received Norris votes 5 times and placed 7,9,11,14,17 (Most recent 2018-19, 11th)

Edler has received Norris votes 1 time and placed 13 (2011-12

OEL has received All Star votes 5 times (Most recent 2018-19)

Edler has received All Star votes 1 time (2011-12)

Other than blocked shots, OEL is a superior player in all categories. 

I don't say this to disparage Edler, but to point out that JB has added a really awesome player.  If he was a free agent and anybody signed him for 6 years at 7.25 mil yesterday, the hockey world would be praising that GM.  JB added him with a top 6 winger while dumping 12 million in dead contracts along with a 1st round pick.  I remember when Dubas was praised for giving away Marleau(who was a much better player than Eriksson, Rousel, or Beagle) and a 1st for a 6th round pick just to save 6 million.

Of course I can't predict how Ekman Larsson will play, but in the right perspective this is an awesome deal and Benning deserves huge props!

Go Canucks Go!!!

Fans just hate contracts that are longer than 2 years remaining, or a contract that takes them past the age of 30. There is some sense to this because:
If a player blows, it doesn't matter what age, the contracts will suck if it's longer than 1-2 year remaining.
If they play well, most forwards will do well into age 30-32, and defensemen into age 32-34.

But in the end, contracts being good or bad are all about how well the player the plays. If they play well, their value is good/fine even into age 35-36 no problem.

But with that kind of logic, you're not likely to get any good players through trades/UFA, because no one would give those players up without massively overpaying. It's only possible by drafting that player years beforehand.
We needed another really good dman, and this is as good a choice as any that is actually possible to obtain.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Forsy said:

Fans just hate contracts that are longer than 2 years remaining, or a contract that takes them past the age of 30. There is some sense to this because:
If a player blows, it doesn't matter what age, the contracts will suck if it's longer than 1-2 year remaining.
If they play well, most forwards will do well into age 30-32, and defensemen into age 32-34.

But in the end, contracts being good or bad are all about how well the player the plays. If they play well, their value is good/fine even into age 35-36 no problem.

But with that kind of logic, you're not likely to get any good players through trades/UFA, because no one would give those players up without massively overpaying. It's only possible by drafting that player years beforehand.
We needed another really good dman, and this is as good a choice as any that is actually possible to obtain.

I actually don't think we need another really good dman.  We currently have 2 of the top 5 dmen we have ever had in the 50 history of the team and we have them at the same time.  I think Rathbone and OJ have a chance to be long term excellent nhlers and we just need Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, etc..  to be defensive warriors to support them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I actually don't think we need another really good dman.  We currently have 2 of the top 5 dmen we have ever had in the 50 history of the team and we have them at the same time.  I think Rathbone and OJ have a chance to be long term excellent nhlers and we just need Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, etc..  to be defensive warriors to support them.

I really hope Schenn, Hamonic and the Pool boy can really bring dependable gritty D. 

edit: hilarious autocorrect for Poolman, but I’m keeping it :lol: 

Edited by Bure_of_94
Autocorrect
  • Haha 2

A lot has been made of OEL's decline in play over the past couple of seasons, and while it is worrisome, there's pretty recent precedence that shows us that a good defenseman can rebound and find their game again.

People forget that for quite a few years Edler was seen as a shell of his former self. From around 2013 to around 2017 he was basically the team whipping boy. Then a couple years ago he seemed to figure it out again, and up until this last season when his age finally started to catch up with him he was solidly our number one defenseman. 

So for anyone thinking that it's just wishful thinking that OEL returns to form, just remember that Edler had a pretty great comeback not long ago. Not saying it's going to happen with OEL for sure, but stranger things have happened.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

OEL is a huge gamble by management.While yes he may ( and lets hope he does ) rebound if he doesn't he's Mr Ericksson Mk2. It's like sitting with a pair of dueces and upping the anti. Let's hope JB and Pro Scouts have it right this time. You gotta give JB anod of the cap for this trade, he's all in. If the OEL graph just continues in the same direction there will be changes me thinks

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

OEL is a huge gamble by management.While yes he may ( and lets hope he does ) rebound if he doesn't he's Mr Ericksson Mk2. It's like sitting with a pair of dueces and upping the anti. Let's hope JB and Pro Scouts have it right this time. You gotta give JB anod of the cap for this trade, he's all in. If the OEL graph just continues in the same direction there will be changes me thinks

I think this is Benning saying that if OEL doesn’t work out then he knows he’s out. Huge gamble since he’s up for a contract extension after next year no? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think this is Benning saying that if OEL doesn’t work out then he knows he’s out. Huge gamble since he’s up for a contract extension after next year no? 

That takes a lot of jam but I suspect it's true

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That takes a lot of jam but I suspect it's true

I would tend to agree. If the team falters and fails to make significant headway this year, I would think that Benning is done here. I hope that they come out a juggernaut, and do some damage though. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A lot has been made of OEL's decline in play over the past couple of seasons, and while it is worrisome, there's pretty recent precedence that shows us that a good defenseman can rebound and find their game again.

People forget that for quite a few years Edler was seen as a shell of his former self. From around 2013 to around 2017 he was basically the team whipping boy. Then a couple years ago he seemed to figure it out again, and up until this last season when his age finally started to catch up with him he was solidly our number one defenseman. 

So for anyone thinking that it's just wishful thinking that OEL returns to form, just remember that Edler had a pretty great comeback not long ago. Not saying it's going to happen with OEL for sure, but stranger things have happened.

I would hope that with a new team, that he believes is a couple of levels up from Arizona, he'll feel reinvigorated. I would also hope that the injuries that have plagued him don't have long lasting implications on his performance, and that he's essentially healed and ready to go. 

30 isn't that old for a defenseman anymore. The Finals had Hedman (30) and Weber (35), so OEL being 30 shouldn't have a massive effect on his performance. 

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Hoping for the best.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:23 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Agreed. 

Miller Petey Boeser

OEL Hughes

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Rathbone Myers

Something like that?

I wouldn't even split up the original 1sr unit like that.

Boeser Horvat Miller

Hughes Pettersson

Garland Dickinson/Sutter Hoglander

OEL Rathbone

The thing here is both 'defense' pairs have the #1 QB type, then also the big shot.

Not sure who the better 2C option is but you mainly want them to win the draw & play net-front anyways. So the perceived skill level shouldn't matter as much. (So long as they can tip pucks)

It's shaping up to be a nice 1A/1B situation, with plenty of versatility. If one unit isn't going we won't have the drop off we've seen before.