The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A lot has been made of OEL's decline in play over the past couple of seasons, and while it is worrisome, there's pretty recent precedence that shows us that a good defenseman can rebound and find their game again.

People forget that for quite a few years Edler was seen as a shell of his former self. From around 2013 to around 2017 he was basically the team whipping boy. Then a couple years ago he seemed to figure it out again, and up until this last season when his age finally started to catch up with him he was solidly our number one defenseman. 

So for anyone thinking that it's just wishful thinking that OEL returns to form, just remember that Edler had a pretty great comeback not long ago. Not saying it's going to happen with OEL for sure, but stranger things have happened.

He's also still been very productive. He was on a 40+ point pace last season, Edler did that.. once? At his peak.

And it's not like Hughes is going to take a total backseat with OEL coming in.

As much as OEL might be more so the matchup guy, Hughes is too talented to not play big minutes & a big role. Should be a beneficial situation for both.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:23 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Agreed. 

Miller Petey Boeser

OEL Hughes

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Rathbone Myers

Something like that?

I think another cool thing we could do is run two different power play structures and make it more difficult for teams to plan against us.

Miller

Boeser              Petey

Hughes OEL

Podkolzin

Garland Horvat Hoglander

Rathbone

Pearson can sub in for Podkolzin if he has a difficult time translating his game right away. I would keep Myers away from the power play to better manage his minutes.

Anyone who thinks that OEL suddenly just deteriorated and lost all his skill at age 28-29 needs to seriously rethink their position.  For a player of his ability, there's just no way.  I can say with 99.9 accuracy that he got burned-out from being the heart and soul leader of a perennial doormat in Arizona, and that the thing he needed the most was a change of scenery.  Being here in Vancouver, with all the skilled youngish players surrounding him and the Sedins in his corner, I have no doubt that he will resurrect his career.  Mark my words!:gocan:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Some defencemen, especially non-physical ones, don't hit their prime until 30 so let's see what Ekman-Larsson can do. I'm quite optimistic he'll be even an upgrade on Edler, at least offensively.

Defensively we just really need to support him. Myers did a great job at times plugging the defensive holes of Hughes and OEL is nowhere near that risky, so Myers might be a good shout - two tall lean defencemen who don't play physically next to each other seems a bit strange though.

Poolman might be the perfect partner for OEL, he's a really calm, steady and very safe/boring defenceman which is perfect. Myers did a great job mentoring the young guys as well so it'd be nice to see Myers paired with Juolevi or Rathbone.

I'm hoping for this next season:

OEL - Poolman

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi - Myers

Schenn

We've basically got 8 decent defencemen, around 5-6 proper top-4 defencemen pending how well the two kids play. It'll be interesting to see who gets playing time with our top line defensively, and who's on the PP. We have traditionally gone for Hughes on point with 4 forwards, maybe we'll see OEL and Hughes together on the PP? Ekman-Larsson has a hell of a shot that Hughes lacks so could get interesting, but regardless it'll be nice to have 2 proper puck movers (maybe even 3 when Rathbone is on the ice).

As long as we support these 3 puck movers with decent defensive players and structures (eg. centers tracking back fast or playing very safe) then they should be fine.

One thing that Nash said that caught my ear was "I hope he gets back in the gym".

That makes me think that OEL sort of gave up. For what ever reasons.  

If he is going to be a top pairing guy he will need to be in top shape. The twins were always one and two at training camp.

Edler was right behind them. You can't play into your mid thirty's if you aren't. 

Hopefully he is in the gym.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, appleboy said:

One thing that Nash said that caught my ear was "I hope he gets back in the gym".

If he is going to be a top pairing guy he will need to be in top shape. The twins were always one and two at training camp.

Edler was right behind them. You can't play into your mid thirty's if you aren't. 

Very true. I never heard that Nash statement but I'd thought along the same lines myself, the spirit has gone. Remember when Sundin played his first shift for Vcr his first shift i believe was only 12 seconds long and he realized how much work was ahead of him. JB had put his entire pot all on Red, fingers crossed

23 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would hope that with a new team, that he believes is a couple of levels up from Arizona, he'll feel reinvigorated. I would also hope that the injuries that have plagued him don't have long lasting implications on his performance, and that he's essentially healed and ready to go. 

30 isn't that old for a defenseman anymore. The Finals had Hedman (30) and Weber (35), so OEL being 30 shouldn't have a massive effect on his performance. 

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Hoping for the best.

I'm much more optimistic about OEL's resurgence.

1) He chose Vancouver/Boston as his two places he'd waive his NTC for, and it still applied, even though we had a poor season last year. Furthermore, I've seen a video from about two years ago that suggested he had been looking at Vancouver earlier (he compared Scottdale's housing prices with Vancouver). He really could've chosen anywhere else, but for some reason, he loves Vancouver. As a result, I have no doubt he'll be all-in for us. He has something to prove, and I believe him.

2) OEL has put up decentish points on some very bad AZ teams. Is this a reflection of him as captain? Absolutely not. The team has faced a ton of obstacles, including distractions like bankruptcy, rumours about moving away, and the cheating scandal too, to a much smaller extent. I hope AZ turns it around when they rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, appleboy said:

Things that affected his play:

1) Death of his Mom (huge for most people)

2) Broken finger

3) Not getting along with his head coach.

4) Not made to wear the "C".

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dixon Ward said:

1 more thing, of all the defenseman the Canucks have every had, only Jovo had more career years in the Norris voting.  Jovo had 7, OEL 5, nobody else had more than 2.(FYI after 2 years, Quinn has 1 and he is 21)

So he is in the conversation for the most talented defenseman we have ever had and he has not played a game. Quinn is already the best offensive defenseman we have every had.  So these two are a pretty impressive pair to build the defense around.  

1 more thing.  Of all of the active dmen between the ages of 27-32, OEL is among the elite in terms of number of times in the Norris voting.

Name, Age, Yrs. In Norris Voting, Salary

Doughty  31      9      11.5

Karlsson  31     8       11

Hedman   30     7       7.875

Pietrangelo 31   7      8.8

Josi     31           7      9.059

OEL   30           5        7.25(for us)

Carlson   31      5       8

Hamilton  28      5      9

Slavin     27       5       5.3

2 things:

OEL is very much undervalued by the media and some of the fans on here.  I think he will be one of the top 3 dmen we have ever had.

I wish I was Slavin's agent!

• Cheers 1

I would say OEL is at his peak....what is left is how he wants to finish his career. the next 4 years is what is left if he wants to win the cup. OEL is not just offensive force, its his Defensive plays that makes a large difference. Hes all-round and skilled in so many ways as well as being a leader. 

meanwhile...2 videos from swedish magazines, one from his home in Arizona and one from his familys home in Sweden where hes also building a house....at least one has english subtitles.

9 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

I would say OEL is at his peak....what is left is how he wants to finish his career. the next 4 years is what is left if he wants to win the cup. OEL is not just offensive force, its his Defensive plays that makes a large difference. Hes all-round and skilled in so many ways as well as being a leader. 

meanwhile...2 videos from swedish magazines, one from his home in Arizona and one from his familys home in Sweden where hes also building a house....at least one has english subtitles.

I've seen this video already.

It's interesting that this video is 2 years ago, and yet he already made references to the real estate being crazy in Vancouver, compared to the Arizona suburbs. This indicates that he's aware of the real estate. I believe you generally don't make an off-the-cuff reference like that unless you're genuinely interested in the city. He really could've cited Toronto, San Fran, Seattle, etc, all of these places have inflated real estate prices. For some reason, he has a love-in with the city - not that I'm complaining.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

Things that affected his play:

1) Death of his Mom (huge for most people)

2) Broken finger

3) Not getting along with his head coach.

4) Not made to wear the "C".

Everything you said is true. 

So Canuck fans should be concerned about where his mind is at and what kind of condition is he in?

30 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Everything you said is true. 

So Canuck fans should be concerned about where his mind is at and what kind of condition is he in?

nope, he did a Swedish mind meld with Sir Dank 

Sir Dank has pronounced him fit as a fiddle and returning to 2017 standards

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I think that OEL is going to be rejuvenated by this move and will be a big contributor for the next few years. B) 

for reference sake

who are the last 3 players that you can name that have been rejuvinated by a trade?

we have him for 6 with a NMC so are we going to be happy during the final 3 years he is here, or do we trade him for some other overpriced player we hope will be rejuvinated ?

I think we should call this line of thinking the Loui Ericksson effect

Hoping a player performs for 1/2 the length of their stay here

(loui didn't, that is why fans will now accept 1/2 the service for full pay)

Remember when fans spoke fondly of the Trevor Linden trade tree?

We are now on the second branch of the Loui E trade tree

how many more time will an overpriced player be punted down the road to be replaced by the newer version of 6X6?

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1