The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aku Koskenvuo | G

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Would be amazing if he found another Korpisalo like prospect and developed him like he did in Columbus.

Korpisalo was a relative unknown with pretty unimpressive stats before Clark got his hands on him.

Love that we have another scout like Clark that can bring us these gems!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I guess Koskenvuo got those weekend crash course technique lessons from Clark as promised.

I watched the last two periods of this game, and this goalie is really solid.  He looks like a pro already.  He’s big, moves really well, and is calm.   He was easily the best player for both teams.  

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Goalie guru Ian Clark thrilled to get down to business with prospects like Koskenvuo:

When you stand next to Vancouver Canucks goalie prospect Aku Koskenvuo, you immediately understand why he appeals to Canucks director of goaltending Ian Clark.

“Length” is a word the veteran coach has long used to described what he looks for in a goaltender — and that doesn’t just mean tall.

Koskenvuo is tall, but his arms dangle low. Even in your peripheral vision, you can see the size of his hands.

It adds up to an athlete who is different from most, Clark explained Wednesday at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Centre at the University of B.C.

Length, he explained, is more than being big in frame. You must be a top competitor, you must have elasticity in your movements, you have to be quick.

And it’s not just being able to stop the puck. It is also to take away space to shoot into, which he calls “coverage.”

“In game situations that are close proximity, when time is limited, to be able to stand in and gain a few extra inches of coverage is really powerful,” he said of athletes built like Koskenvuo.

Getting back to in-person coaching with his young prospects is a big deal for Clark. Most of his season is taken up working with the organization’s top goalies, but working with young goalies is a throwback to how he first started as a coach.

“You have the opportunity to really have an impact on these young players. And of course, that’s what ultimately we’re trying to do here, get them from point A to point B in their career, with point B being in the National Hockey League. And so anytime that we have an opportunity to get to our youngest assets is always exciting, and it’s always exciting to just see them in this environment against peers.”

Koskenvuo said learning online was nice — it was important to get the theory in his head — but in-person is another thing.

“I’m really starting to understand what he means, and I feel like every day I’m starting to notice stuff I can work on,” he said.

“Ian has thought so much about this goalie stuff. Some really great stuff,” he added with a laugh.

In preparing for development camp, and then moving to Harvard University next fall, Koskenvuo has been working with a fellow Finn, Marko Torenius. Torenius had been the goalie coach for SKA St. Petersburg for the past decade, but isn’t returning to the KHL next season.

His most notable past protege is the New York Rangers’ Igor Shesterkin. 

“It was Ian who connected us. It’s great to see that Ian also has like contacts over there,” Koskenvuo explained.

“Of course, we’re doing Marko stuff, but I feel like Marko and Ian see things pretty much the same. There are some personal differences, but I’ve noticed that most of the drills have the same idea in them, and I think they envision a modern goaltender to be sort of the same.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-goalie-guru-ian-clark-thrilled-to-get-down-to-business-with-prospects-like-koskenvuo

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...