The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions for Canucks opening night lineup

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

22 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I hear you but I would do everything possible to have him as a 3rd line center.

It's tough because numbering the line implies he is "third" but I would still see him start the game as a 3rd line center and finish the night top 3 forwards in ice time.

Third line center, first unit pp and pk, most critical draws. Massive assignment, in which the "third" line center is not appropriate.

With Miller as a 3rd line center 

They could be our best line on quite a few games.

Balanced scoring. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we see a lot of Miller at centre.  If it makes you more comfortable, label whatever line Miller is cantering the number one line.  

We might see a line of Hogs, Miller, Garland.  Or, Pearson, Miller, Podkolzin.  

For Miller it’s about him playing where he helps us win.  If that’s with Petey, fine.  But likely we see him at centre quite a bit too.  

It's been stated that Miller wants to play center. He enjoys being more involved. He showed well when Petie went down. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's been stated that Miller wants to play center. He enjoys being more involved. He showed well when Petie went down. 

I hadn’t heard that about Miller.  Usually when guys say stuff like that they believe that’s where they can best help their team win.  Miller is super competitive.  I expect we see him mostly at centre and on Petey’s wing on the PP, and in games we are behind in P-3.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hadn’t heard that about Miller.  Usually when guys say stuff like that they believe that’s where they can best help their team win.  Miller is super competitive.  I expect we see him mostly at centre and on Petey’s wing on the PP, and in games we are behind in P-3.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

It's all in the numbers.....

Podz - Petey - Brock ... 92 - 40 - 6  .... is it coincidence that 92 = 2 x (40 +6)

Pearson - Bo - Garland (TP has to lobby for Edler's old number, to give  ... 23 - 53 - 83  ....  tell OEL that it's an unlucky number)

Hoglander - Miller - Dickinson. ...  36 - 9 - 18 (think double, and double again)

Doesn't quite work for the 4th line, but that looks like it may have a revolving door anyway 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Think he gets an A on his sweater?  I think he should.  

I do too.  My guess is that Sutter relinquishes his, and Miller together with Myers, get "A"s.  OEL too, maybe, as a sign of respect - after all, he was named Arizona's captain the year before Bo was anointed in Vanciuver

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we see a lot of Miller at centre.  If it makes you more comfortable, label whatever line Miller is cantering the number one line.  

We might see a line of Hogs, Miller, Garland.  Or, Pearson, Miller, Podkolzin.  

For Miller it’s about him playing where he helps us win.  If that’s with Petey, fine.  But likely we see him at centre quite a bit too.  

A friendly reminder that 1C Miller did NOT. get the Canucks into the playoffs. He’s better on the wing.

Edited by Me_

EP-Boeser-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-UFA--Bozak/Anisimov/Zajac/Donato/Svechnikov/Galchenyuk

Motte-Sutter-Dickinson

I think we still add 1 more forward on a cheap 1 million dollar deal to play with Bo and Pearson.  We will have a ton of flexibility to roll 3 quality scoring lines, and an excellent 4thshutdown line.  I would expect that our top 3 lines would all play reasonably similar minutes depending on matchups.  

This is probably a bit too much fantasy but if the Canucks end up moving Miller to C next year, then I wonder if something like this could happen:

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Gadjovich-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Miller-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-Sutter

MacEwen

This obviously assumes that Gadjovich would show well enough to make the team and not only make the team but play in role requiring offensive production, but to me this could intriguing.

Pearson-Horvat-Garland is a line that has already been considered to be highly probable and can probably compete against most top defensive players on other teams.  Miler centering Hoglander and Podkolzin could be a monster line to play against, especially if they can get away from top defensive matchups.  Gadjovich-Pettersson-Boeser provides Pettersson and Boeser with a net front guy who will hopefully be able to wreak havoc on the forecheck (though I'm not sure if his skating will enable him to do that as effectively as a guy like Miller).  Again, if they can get away from top end matchups, then they could become even more productive.  Motte-Dickinson-Sutter could be an excellent line to match up defensively against other teams.  Sutter would not be a bad 4C but he has also played a lot of RW and, with his problems staying healthy over the years, may have greater longevity if used on wing.

Just throwing this out for discussion if it hasn't already been put out there.  The great thing heading into camp this year is that the forward group truly has mystery since there could be a wide variety of combinations that could work but this will depend on a number of factors including how well some prospects/bubble guys show at camp.

What are the differences from last year’s team to this one?

Petey was injured, and we had a lot of AHL guys, but what were our lines exactly to end the year?  

? Miller, Bess

Pearson, Bo, Hogs

?, ?, ?

?, ?, ?

Hughes, Hamonic 

Edler, Schmidt

Bone, Myers

Demko

Holtby

now we have a way better team!

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Garland

Pearson, Dickinson, Pods

Highmore, Sutter, Motte

Lockwood, Gads

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic

Bone, Poolman

OJ

Demko

Halak

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are the differences from last year’s team to this one?

Petey was injured, and we had a lot of AHL guys, but what were our lines exactly to end the year?  

? Miller, Bess

Pearson, Bo, Hogs

?, ?, ?

?, ?, ?

Hughes, Hamonic 

Edler, Schmidt

Bone, Myers

Demko

Holtby

now we have a way better team!

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Garland

Pearson, Dickinson, Pods

Highmore, Sutter, Motte

Lockwood, Gads

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic

Bone, Poolman

OJ

Demko

Halak

With the exception of Zack MacEwen over Lockwood and Gads, i agree that on paper we are a better team.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:09 PM, Me_ said:

A friendly reminder that 1C Miller did NOT. get the Canucks into the playoffs. He’s better on the wing.

1C Miller meant Petey was out. Of course a team with both Petey and Miller will be better, regardless of who plays wing or center.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Miller at center + past proven chemistry: 

I've stated my previous line combos but am 'thinking outloud' with regards to deploying Miller at center + incorporating past chemistry.

Dickinson-Pettersson-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser (line used during post Petey injury this past season.  Canucks went 8-3-2).

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin - Horvat and Pearson have played with each other for awhile and have usually had a bigger sized board battler playing with them.

Motte-Sutter-MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Halak

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 6:55 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

With Miller at 3C we'd have a 3 headed beast. 

Petey isn't even close to a top line cman yet.  He either needs to stay on the wing, or play reduced mins to get away from tough matchups

• Cheers 1