Beary Sweet

With our current $20.7m in cap space I want to sign:

Petterson - $9m x 8 years

Hughes - $6m x 4 years

Dickinson - $2.5m x 3 years

Zajac - $1.75m x 1 year

Juolevi - $1m x 2 years

Opening night (at EDM on Oct 13) I'm going with:

Miller Pettersson Boeser (stick with Lotto line for opening night, proven chemistry)

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Zajac Sutter

(Highmore)

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Poolman

(Schenn)

Demko

(Halak)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Hughes - $6m x 4 years

Zajac - $1.75m x 1 year

Juolevi - $1m x 2 years

No thanks to Zajak. At 36, I dont think he'd keep up with Sutter, let alone Motte.  (But then I don't know his record as 3rd man in)

Forward lines

TJ Miller/Fan of these things/ L'Oreal for men

Highlander/Bo Knows/Thank god I'm out of Arizona

Danny Tanner/Meat and two vegison/9 Feet tall

Energizer Bunny/FOUNDATIONAL/Dude...I just...I need you to tell me I can leave this room-more

Defensive pairs

Thank god I'm out of Arizona part 2- Electric Boogaloo/Nic with ham on his head

Bear that hugs/The pool cleaner

Boner of wrath/2 minutes for holding

Goaltenders

Cory Schneider part 2: Electric Boogaloo/

Remember that playoffs where I took Price's job?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Haha 2

I'm glad Benning signed extra D, and isn't solely relying on OEL to turn back the clock and do everything. Injuries happen, so it'll be nice to get Schenn in the lineup if needed, or Burroughs and Hunt, as opposed to Chatfield or Sautner, etc. 

They were saying on SN650 that OEL has struggled with the details in his game the last few years, some decision making, but I think the Canucks coaching staff can get on this and correct some things. I believe he lost focus because he stopped caring as much as he should. It's got to be soul crushing to play for the same desert team year after year, with hardly any fans, no one there cares. 

Reaves leaving the West is great, and because they lost their security blanket in Fleury as well, I don't think Vegas will be the same dominating team, their decline begins now. 

VAN wins the Pacific. 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser - don't reinvent the wheel

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland - Garland wants to play with Horvat.  This line will irritate the hell out of opponents while scoring consistently

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin - Shutdown line with some scoring punch

Gadjovich-Sutter-Motte - Good defensive line with a couple of physical players on the wing

MacEwen, Highmore

(Petan)

OEL-Hamonic - Strong defense, should be our shutdown pairing

Hughes-Poolman - Poolman skates well and is responsible defensively.  Ideal partner for Hughes

OJ-Myers - Nice size for a third pairing.

Schenn

(Rathbone)

Demko

Halak

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Nils Hoglander - Bo Horvat - Conor Garland

Tanner Pearson - Jason Dickinson - Vasili Podkolzin

Matthew Highmore - Brandon Sutter - Tyler Motte

---

Justin Bailey

Zack MacEwan

Phil Di Giuseppe

Justin Dowling

Jonah Gadjovich

Quinn Hughes - Travis Hamonic

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Tucker Poolman

Jack Rathbone - Tyler Myers

---

Olli Juolevi

Luke Schenn

Brad Hunt

Thatcher Demko

Jaroslav Halak

---

Michael DiPietro

Arturs SIlovs

This team can finish as high as 3rd in the division and as low as 6th, IMO.  

20 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Hughes - $6m x 4 years

Zajac - $1.75m x 1 year

Juolevi - $1m x 2 years

Opening night (at EDM on Oct 13) I'm going with:

Miller Pettersson Boeser (stick with Lotto line for opening night, proven chemistry)

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Zajac Sutter

(Highmore)

OEL Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Poolman

(Schenn)

Demko

(Halak)

I like the idea of Zajac, he is much older now though. We should have some cap space available to sign someone on top of Hughes, Dickinson, Juolevi and Petey. I wonder if they might go for someone like Ritchie for some grit and toughness, although we could just slip Podkolzin into the lineup, even on the 4th line for 10 minutes of fun.

We do really need another center though in case Sutter goes down with injury. I know we could move Miller to center but that would disrupt our whole lineup. Highmore is another option as our 5th center too, so JB has some options there because we should hopefully have a couple of million dollars in cap space to spend once the kids are done. I think JB's just holding out in case someone offersheets Petey and he needs to drop 10M on him.

Other options are Stepan, Bozak, Anisimov and Johansen, although I think only a couple of them will be within our price range. We could use them as 4th liners but I'd rather have some size on our 4th line like MacEwan, Sutter and then Podz/Ritchie, but a guy like Zajac/Anisimov as a 13th forward would be perfect in case of a center injury. Depends how much JB trusts Highmore.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser - don't reinvent the wheel

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland - Garland wants to play with Horvat.  This line will irritate the hell out of opponents while scoring consistently

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin - Shutdown line with some scoring punch

Gadjovich-Sutter-Motte - Good defensive line with a couple of physical players on the wing

MacEwen, Highmore

(Petan)

OEL-Hamonic - Strong defense, should be our shutdown pairing

Hughes-Poolman - Poolman skates well and is responsible defensively.  Ideal partner for Tanev

OJ-Myers - Nice size for a third pairing.

Schenn

(Rathbone)

Demko

Halak

Don't know enough about Poolman to say he should be higher than Myers but I like your line up and hope he is better. If so, it will mean we have a very strong team on the backend.

11 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

Don't know enough about Poolman to say he should be higher than Myers but I like your line up and hope he is better. If so, it will mean we have a very strong team on the backend.

Myers is a better player overall but does not fit well with Hughes.

• Like 1

Miller Pettersson Boeser  With Petey missing so much hockey, he’ll be ready to put on a show!  

Hoglander Horvat Garland  Just makes sense

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin   Pearson’s a good role model for Podz. And you know Dicks gotta play

Highmore  Sutter  Motte   Use MacEwen>Highmore for a more physical game.

MacEwen

Pedan

Hughes  Hamonic  at least to start the season

OEL Myers  Who knows it just might work.

Rathbone  Poolman, but hopefully spotting in Schenn. He’d help give confidence on the ice for Jack’s development like he did with Quinn.

Joulevi

Hunt

On 7/29/2021 at 2:32 PM, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Garland

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin 

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Halak

Strengths:

• Upfront depth 
  • A solid combination of playmakers, snipers, two way forwards, grinders, and shut down forwards
  • Very good left defense depth, skill, and puck moving abilities
  • Very good goaltending depth + possible burgeoning superstar in Demko.
  • Very good defensive prowess and physicality on right side defense

Weaknesses:

• Still a little soft up front although they have substantially improved in this area.
  • Lack of a true top pairing shut down guy on defense which could make them susceptible to getting hemmed by opposing top lines.  Can OEL be a two way d-man?  Is Poolman anything more than a #6?  Are Hamonic and Myers anything more than a #4?  Can any of our right side Dmen cover for Hughes, or even OEL if required?

Long term outlook:

• The Canucks should be able to consistently make the playoffs over the next few years or so, but will they be able to ascend to the elite level?  
  • The current Canucks cap configuration seems to suggest that any cap coming off the books will simply be used to re-up internal players, whether that’s accommodating Holtby’s and Virtanen’s buyouts, or re-upping Boeser, Horvat, Miller, and eventually Pettersson and Hughes again.  Canucks might not be able to become truly elite until Tyler Myers’ contract comes off the books three years from now.

My verdict:

• This is a good but not great team that should be able to make the playoffs for the next little while here.  I see us being similar to the Edmonton Oilers of last season.  If making the playoffs was the goal, then I think we will very likely achieve that over these next few years. However, this is likely not an elite team due to a lack of top quality shut down men on the top four.  
  • If the Canucks can somehow find a true top pairing shut down man to play with OEL or Hughes, then we should be able to join the elite ranks.   

My suggestion:

• At some point, the Canucks will need to get Tyler Myers off the books.  Preferably at the end of this season if possible.  While my Quinn Hughes + Tyler Myers suggestion to New Jersey was not a good one, we still need to find a way to move him out.  Chicago and Detroit were (are?) taking big contracts with term and so perhaps something can be worked out with one of those teams.  A Tyler Myers for Connor Murphy type deal might be ideal.

Solid and safe prediction. But not “aggressive” enough.  Canucks are NOT done here imo. 

Could we pry Pulock from NYI?  Use Ferland ltir to recap a FA winger?

I called the OEL deal because it made sense to me if they were going to be “aggressive” which meant finding someone to take our crap.  Only one taker I could think of lol.  Garland was an amazing surprise that opens options to make one more big trade. 

I also feel they are still targeting a top pair RHD for Ekman-Larsson, even if they have to weaken that sexy looking forward group… Miller to a contending American team… Pretty sure that’d be skipping to the airport.   Miller + Myers for Beaulivier + Pulock…. In a heartbeat. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, 250Integra said:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Sutter-MacEwan

Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Myers

Poolman

Demko

Halak

Apparently Shaw pushed hard for Poolman so I think he's going to be a regular.

The pairing I'm curious about is who pairs with OEL.

OEL had his best season playing with Yandle so Myers makes sense but of all the regulars last season he saw the least amount top pairing minutes.

TSN's "Odog"  and Button are both fans of Poolman and think his speed and style make the most sense for OEL.

Off topic a bit but I found it very interesting how different TSN views the moves Benning has made compared to SN.

TSN had us as the winners in free agency among the Canadian teams and praised Benning for the recent moves, while SN gave them a D+ while giving the Oilers an A and the leafs a B+.

SN keeps getting worse and have become so political and woke, very annoying. 

• Cheers 1

My prediction is that Juolevi will make the team unless 

1) Juolevi stinks it up at camp, AND/OR

2) Rathbone absolutely kills it in camp and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's already a top 4 calibre dman..

Given that Juolevi won't be able to bounce back and forth between the AHL and NHL without requiring waivers, I think Rathbone will be the one to start in the AHL.  In the AHL, Rathbone will be able to log big minutes and grow accustomed to being 'the alpha' on the team.    

Also - I know the Canucks won't do the lines below, but what if they went with a pure balanced line-up?   Before the covid outbreak, the Canucks went 8-3-2 with Hoglander-Miller-Boeser as their top line (during the Pettersson injury).  What if they just kept things like that?   Dickinson then becomes the gritty and defensive conscience on the Petey line.  Speaking of Petey, what better way to get Podkolzin up to speed than to play him with an elite centerman right from the get go?

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Dickinson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman

Juolevi-Myers

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Garland-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

… playing tougher teams I could see defence being swapped and Schenn coming in for Poolman and the duos shuffling