The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank you Aquaman

Rate this topic

CanucksJay

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't want to hear any crap about ownership. The past few days should be quite evident that we are lucky to have an owner willing to spend what seems like dead money to improve this club. 

He not only re-signed Benning, but paid for his blunders to give him a fresh slate. (who knows, maybe some costly mistakes were due to him meddling and he's taking ownership of it). Regardless, we could be far worse if we had a guy like Melnyk. I for one am surprised he was okay with buying out Holtby after 1 year. Bought out Jake. Spending money on OEL and Garland. He's gonna open up his wallet for Hughes and Pettersson. 

We are damn lucky. 

I like the Aquillinis as owners of the Canucks, but here's something for you to chew on...buying out both Holtby and Virtanen saved CSE a combined $3.45M in actual money.  At the end of the day, cutting Holtby and Virtanen loose was a smart financial decision for Aquillini. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I like the Aquillinis as owners of the Canucks, but here's something for you to chew on...buying out both Holtby and Virtanen saved CSE a combined $3.45M in actual money.  At the end of the day, cutting Holtby and Virtanen loose was a smart financial decision for Aquillini. 

Yes that's a good point. I wondered how much actual cash value that was... 

He also has to sign and pay 2 other players though... 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't want to hear any crap about ownership. The past few days should be quite evident that we are lucky to have an owner willing to spend what seems like dead money to improve this club. 

He not only re-signed Benning, but paid for his blunders to give him a fresh slate. (who knows, maybe some costly mistakes were due to him meddling and he's taking ownership of it). Regardless, we could be far worse if we had a guy like Melnyk. I for one am surprised he was okay with buying out Holtby after 1 year. Bought out Jake. Spending money on OEL and Garland. He's gonna open up his wallet for Hughes and Pettersson. 

We are damn lucky. 

I’m a big fan of our ownership we are very lucky to have such passionate owners this team is gonna be great under this group.

I agree with the OP. As for the accusations of ownership meddling- pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. It's just hearsay without actual proof. I also appreciate FA's loyalty to Benning and not making a knee jerk reaction to certain moronic members of this fan base. I'm hoping their patience and dedication is rewarded with a Cup soon. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Aqulini's reputation as a spender has never been in doubt.  That is the last thing some fans have issue with him over.

This. It’s the interference in the actual hockey operations decisions that piss people and management off. It’s never been about their will to spend or win. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yes but that money is being put back into the budget to spend to the cap this year.  So whatever savings Aquilini had with the buyouts is going right back into the payroll.  If Benning spends to the cap then Aquilini will have technically spent more than the $81,500,000.  He would have saved more money if Benning had simply buried Eriksson and Roussel in Abbotsford as the bulk of their contracts would have counted against the cap.

Also, Ferland's contract is not insured, so Aquilini is also paying out of pocket that additional $3.5 million on top of the $81,500,000 and the buyout money, so his total expenses this season for payroll will be close to $90,000,000.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I agree with the OP. As for the accusations of ownership meddling- pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. It's just hearsay without actual proof. I also appreciate FA's loyalty to Benning and not making a knee jerk reaction to certain moronic members of this fan base. I'm hoping their patience and dedication is rewarded with a Cup soon. 

Pretty sure there has been numerous people around the league confirm their meddling. 

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If true,  looks like lesson learned. They paid the buyouts and will leave hockey ops to the ppl they hired

Hey, 100%. It looks entirely like that...at least from bennings part. I’m on board...not that I’ve ever jumped off the bandwagon but this club has done a major overhaul here. I think it’s fair for the haters and the lovers to kind of reset here, move forward and hold off judgment for at least the off season of next year.

In giving JB the authority(buyouts, contracts, etc...) they are being wise. He has drafted them a nucleus which enables a sustainable winner.

The missteps are temporary blips & mostly cosmetic. Glad the ownership can distinguish between the bleating media & haterz insignificant poison, with the lasting building blocks that JB has acquired.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In giving JB the authority(buyouts, contracts, etc...) they are being wise. He has drafted them a nucleus which enables a sustainable winner.

The missteps are temporary blips & mostly cosmetic. Glad the ownership can distinguish between the bleating media & haterz insignificant poison, with the lasting building blocks that JB has acquired.

Can u go into detail a bit on your last paragraph so people can understand?