The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank you Aquaman

Rate this topic

CanucksJay

1 minute ago, linden17 said:

Can u go into detail a bit on your last paragraph so people can understand?

Nahh, read it as interpretive..may mean whatever you'd like it to mean.

Essentially the criticisms which have piled up(often on other sites & platforms) have not affected ownership's perception of JB's performance. Fortunately the key people here appear to be on the same page.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Essentially the criticisms which have piled up(often on other sites & platforms) have not affected ownership's perception of JB's performance. Fortunately the key people here appear to be on the same page.

Fair enough

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Aqulini's reputation as a spender has never been in doubt.  That is the last thing some fans have issue with him over.

Not true at all. Some people accused him of being a cheap owner all last season.

• Cheers 1

wish aqua would buy the whitecaps so we can actually field a team to compete, but not these backwater players who can barely play ( minus a couple players ) but in all seriousness, if whitecaps had a owner like aqua we would field a always decent team that would compete, but as it stands, we will always be farming the bottom rankings

than Vancouver would have a good hockey/soccer team

Edited by x00x

24 minutes ago, x00x said:

wish aqua would buy the whitecaps so we can actually field a team to compete, but not these backwater players who can barely play ( minus a couple players ) but in all seriousness, if whitecaps had a owner like aqua we would field a always decent team that would compete, but as it stands, we will always be farming the bottom rankings

than Vancouver would have a good hockey/soccer team

Soccer is the most boring game in the world after lawn bowling and paint drying competitions, where people sit for 3 hours and have orgasms with a 0-0 outcome, with no spontanious action, molasses type excitement and players that fake injuries like 2nd graders - that only Euro's and grandmothers could appreciate.  You'll never catch real Canadian men at a soccer game !

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I agree with the OP. As for the accusations of ownership meddling- pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. It's just hearsay without actual proof. I also appreciate FA's loyalty to Benning and not making a knee jerk reaction to certain moronic members of this fan base. I'm hoping their patience and dedication is rewarded with a Cup soon. 

Not firing Benning was ballsy and I'm glad our owners gave him their support.

Who knows if these moves will pay-off but it's pretty crazy the dead cap he unloaded without gutting the team.  If a new GM had come in we have no idea what moves he would have made but usually a new GM signals a rebuild. 

The funniest thing is the amount of positive comments on other sites, the Dickenson trade, the blockbuster and the Garland signing especially were well received which as anyone who is familiar with the other site knows that almost never happens.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Essentially the criticisms which have piled up(often on other sites & platforms) have not affected ownership's perception of JB's performance. Fortunately, the key people here appear to be on the same page.

I think what's telling about the anti-management people on other sites is how the real douche ones have gone pretty quiet the last while here with all these moves. There are some still that still whine but they look silly considering leaf fans, flame fans and oiler fans are pissed with how are team is shaping up and the fact Benning solved multiple issues with one trade while entering free agency with 30 million minus what Quinn, Petey and Dickenson get. Still a big chunk left to improve while our rivals bargain shop or worse regress.

Looking forward to today to see what else happens.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Well I'm relieved that the ownership is not going through a bankruptcy. For about a year, Van media kept reporting that the ownership is letting people go, wants to cut player salaries, can't afford to pay Travis Green and Ian Clark, and is keeping J.B. only because they don't want to pay someone else to be G.M. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Not firing Benning was ballsy and I'm glad our owners gave him their support.

Who knows if these moves will pay-off but it's pretty crazy the dead cap he unloaded without gutting the team.  If a new GM had come in we have no idea what moves he would have made but usually a new GM signals a rebuild. 

The funniest thing is the amount of positive comments on other sites, the Dickenson trade, the blockbuster and the Garland signing especially were well received which as anyone who is familiar with the other site knows that almost never happens.

Keeping J.B. is the correct move for now because he is an average G.M. which means that he is competent but not exceptional. By definition, exceptional means rare. People think that if you fire a G.M. a better candidate will magically show up to apply for the position. This is nonsensical and devoid of reality. 

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't want to hear any crap about ownership. The past few days should be quite evident that we are lucky to have an owner willing to spend what seems like dead money to improve this club. 

He not only re-signed Benning, but paid for his blunders to give him a fresh slate. (who knows, maybe some costly mistakes were due to him meddling and he's taking ownership of it). Regardless, we could be far worse if we had a guy like Melnyk. I for one am surprised he was okay with buying out Holtby after 1 year. Bought out Jake. Spending money on OEL and Garland. He's gonna open up his wallet for Hughes and Pettersson. 

We are damn lucky. 

I can compare Katz to Melynk and he'll look favorable. It's not indicative of the quality of the ownership by doing so. Compare him to an owner like Jeff Vinik (Lightning), Tom Gaglardi (Stars) or Leonsis (Capitals) and see how he looks.

One good offseason (so far) does not mean you can revise history here.

I appreciate spending to the cap, that is but one component of a successful team. He cheaped out on the front office, we had one of the leanest staffs in the league (which is being resolved thankfully) and we still don't have a president of hockey ops. Plus the body of work suggesting ownership meddling that forced Benning to retool rather than rebuild.

Props should be given of course, and it appears better now, but fair or not, more needs to be done to shed the perception what has happened since even before Benning's time.

I don't deny FA's passion for the team, or him wanting a cup as badly as us. But he has his flaws. 

9 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I agree with the OP. As for the accusations of ownership meddling- pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. It's just hearsay without actual proof. I also appreciate FA's loyalty to Benning and not making a knee jerk reaction to certain moronic members of this fan base. I'm hoping their patience and dedication is rewarded with a Cup soon. 

You're never going to get ownership to admit to meddling to any form of media, or have concrete proof in the way you want it, basically expecting a politician to be honest here. I'd also challenge the 'knee jerk' description, this smoke has been here since Nonis. 

And we all know how this game works. We can show you links, you call it fake news. It's much easier to appeal to authority.

For the sake of devil's advocate. I'll bite. You can thank the late Jason Botchford (rip) for really seeding this perception and the whole Linden fiasco. 

February 2016

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/the-provies-the-night-the-earth-shifted-in-vancouver

The Aquilinis involvement in hockey ops is the stuff of legends in back channels.

Mythical stories ooze from the city’s elite and from the city’s in-the-know hockey community, about trades which were vetoed , trades which were demanded, and supposedly that time all the defencemen were to be moved.

All of them.

If we dip into the not-too distant past, the former regime had final say and total control of all hockey decisions until the 2011 Game 7 loss in the Cup finals.

After that, power was whittled away, one shaving at a time.

Before tonight, however, no one had ever put ownership on one side and management on the other in terms of what should be the direction of the Canucks.

Sure, it was strongly hinted at on more than one occasion.

The most memorably public was probably Gilly’s final 1040 interview where he said the team had strayed from the style of hockey which had made them successful.

But it has never been black-and-white and on a stage like tonight.

There were some jaws-that-met-floors around this city and the NHL with this one.

How else do you take a headline which read kinda like:

“Canucks owners standing in Benning’s way.”

Or whatever one you want to write out of this.

The Aquilinis just got nudged toward the local crosshairs.

Benning wants to start over, and is yearning for a tear down?

Ownership doesn’t see it that way, at least not yet, and has interceded, and is currently standing in the way of what hockey ops wants to do?

And, this just went live on HNIC?

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/the-provies-the-virtanen-hit-some-owner-content-and-of-course-the-usual-old-17-shade 

This is the same hockey team where the owners selected the coach — you remember, the one before this one — and when that little fact started getting out in the media, legal action was threatened.

This is the same city where just two months ago, with the Rangers in for a visit, a former head coach, and the last to lead the Canucks to any kind of success, went out of his way to tell the story about that time the owners wanted him, well, fired.

Or are we just going to pretend this didn’t happen (From Fast Ebby):

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 6.47.27 PM

This is the same team where the owner once wanted Brad Richards so badly — at the 2008 trade deadline — that when Tampa turned down a rumoured Cory Schneider-Alex Edler offer, the Canucks GM was instructed to give up more.

How much more is unclear, but the rumour has long been Schneider, Edler, Kesler and Raymond.

This is not an organization which has owners who are involved in a way you’d see in most NHL teams.

If you think it is, you haven’t talked to enough people who have worked for the Canucks and other organizations.

So I did find it funny when people suggested this was all just an opinion that was blown way out of proportion, starting here at The Provies.

There aren’t many in the media who would buy that.

I know a couple, but not many.

Linden Era (2014 to 2018)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/may-trevor-linden-leaving-canucks-meets-eye/

Friedman continued: “I can’t tell you with 100 per cent, black-and-white certainty, but I think what happened was they had their meeting, Trevor said, ‘I think we should do it this way,’ there was pushback wherever it came from and they said, ‘No,’ and ultimately I think ownership decided, ‘We could do it this way,’ and Trevor said ‘I don’t support that,’ and ownership said ‘Well, we’re going to do it this way.’ …

“I think it comes down to a point where if you’re not going to support it, you don’t want to be there, and if you’re not going to support it, ownership probably doesn’t want you there. So, people can decide what that means but I do think both [sides] looked at each other and said, ‘This is not going to work.’”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnet-tonight-650/friedman-canucks-owners-tweets-hint-within/

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

ITS ABOUT BENNING LOOKS AT CHARACTER NOT JUST SKILLS AND STATS....CLEAN UP ON THE GUYS THAT JUST WANT TO PLAY FOR THE MONEY...GET HOCKEY PLAYERS THAT PLAY CAUSE THEY LOVE HOCKEY AND THE MONEY IS JUST THE PACKAGE..STILL NEED TO GET A BIG TOUGH D MAN AND ONE MORE  WITH ZACK THAT CAN BE INSERTED IN AND OUT OF LINE UP...2 MORE FORWARDS AND ONE  D MAN ID BE HAPPY..

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

I can compare Katz to Melynk and he'll look favorable. It's not indicative of the quality of the ownership by doing so. Compare him to an owner like Jeff Vinik (Lightning), Tom Gaglardi (Stars) or Leonsis (Capitals) and see how he looks.

One good offseason (so far) does not mean you can revise history here.

I appreciate spending to the cap, that is but one component of a successful team. He cheaped out on the front office, we had one of the leanest staffs in the league (which is being resolved thankfully) and we still don't have a president of hockey ops. Plus the body of work suggesting ownership meddling that forced Benning to retool rather than rebuild.

Props should be given of course, and it appears better now, but fair or not, more needs to be done to shed the perception what has happened since even before Benning's time.

I don't deny FA's passion for the team, or him wanting a cup as badly as us. But he has his flaws. 

You're never going to get ownership to admit to meddling to any form of media, or have concrete proof in the way you want it, basically expecting a politician to be honest here. I'd also challenge the 'knee jerk' description, this smoke has been here since Nonis. 

And we all know how this game works. We can show you links, you call it fake news. It's much easier to appeal to authority.

For the sake of devil's advocate. I'll bite. You can thank the late Jason Botchford (rip) for really seeding this perception and the whole Linden fiasco. 

February 2016

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/the-provies-the-night-the-earth-shifted-in-vancouver

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/the-provies-the-virtanen-hit-some-owner-content-and-of-course-the-usual-old-17-shade 

Linden Era (2014 to 2018)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/may-trevor-linden-leaving-canucks-meets-eye/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnet-tonight-650/friedman-canucks-owners-tweets-hint-within/

LOL what is your point?

I would rather have a passionate owner spending to the cap. He bought the team, got excited and wanted to control things because he was passionate.  The last few years turn of events proved to him hockey ops should do hockey ops and ownership should trust the ppl he hired and write cheques.

FA is doing that now

The alternative doesnt mean a cheapskate who doesnt care about the team but  I would rather have an owner fully invested in the team and wnt the cup as badly as us

On 7/28/2021 at 2:15 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Soccer is the most boring game in the world after lawn bowling and paint drying competitions, where people sit for 3 hours and have orgasms with a 0-0 outcome, with no spontanious action, molasses type excitement and players that fake injuries like 2nd graders - that only Euro's and grandmothers could appreciate.  You'll never catch real Canadian men at a soccer game !

On 7/28/2021 at 7:36 AM, rychicken said:

A soccer game is over after 2 hours....why do you sit there for an extra hour?

......wake up time - from the coma !

Any other questions ???

Edited by RU SERIOUS