The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Brandon Sutter re-signing in van

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm okay with a NTC if it's under 2 mil/year for a maximum of 2 years. 

Sutter was good for us when he was healthy. Pretty clutch in the playoffs too. 

This. He wasn’t healthy enough to bring his A game all year, but really showed up in the playoffs. And that happened in Pittsburgh too.

Some players can stand out during the season, but disappear when the intensity gets ratcheted up. For instance, I like Khaira, but so far in his limited playoff experience he hasn’t done much (8GP, 1A, -2, 8 PIMs).

If you can sign a guy like Sutter for less than $2M, it’s a win.

I liked what aggressive Benning has been doing until this. 
He had an awful, underperforming team (that he put together) and tore it apart, jettisoning all the flotsam.  
Then goes and re-signs king of the underperforming vets. 
Don’t care the price, didn’t want this guy back he is the symbol of the foundational flaws of Bennings early years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It would be wise for the Canucks to finish the team with one year contracts. As long as they can be fit into this year's cap who cares what they get.

The key is that the contracts are done at year end.

That would give them flexibility for next year. To resign players like Boeser......

if jim can bring in a good 3rd line center, ideally right shot, then let sutter walk. if he decides to roll with dickinson at 3c and intends to sign a 4c instead, sutter would be a good option. 

8 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Oh for FFS.  I think everyone, even the most ardent Benning fanboy, has had enough of Balls of Steel aka "The Foundation." Move on from this guy - he's toast.  

well when you put it like that....

for the right price and term is actually one of our best options for 4C. I'd be fine with <2 mil 1 year term. If he's used for 10-12 min's per night he probably stays healthy. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I think Sutter brings value in several ways. For a low-dollar, short-term deal, I'm okay with it. 

the available UFA right hand C's that are an upgrade on him is a pretty short list. Riley Nash is not one of them, e.g. 

Surprised on the amount of hate Sutts is getting here. He's worn the A, he's shown up with energy, he's sacrificed his body incl. on the PK and in the playoff run, he's been a solid right-handed face-off guy, has been overpaid but has played any role asked of him, can play C or RW fine.  He's paced for around 15 goals a year despite a number of injuries.

We have Motte, Highmore and MacEwen battling for the 4th line W positions. I'm on the 'sign Khaira' train, but in terms of what they'd bring to the team, they're pretty close. Sutter is much faster and might actually compliment Motte and Highmore pretty well. Khaira is bigger and his puck possession skills are probably a bit better. Sutter has a nicer wrist shot and higher offensive ceiling if he's healthy. Both PK well.

Maybe Benning can fit both in and ship Mac off . I like MacEwen - but this team needs someone to replace Beagles' PK abilities somewhat, and dunno if Mac is the best fit for that. Plus - maybe he's another whiner, with his mom advocating for more TOI lol. Might just be a case of - good player, not the right timing to make it as a Canuck.

• Vintage 1

I can understand wanting a veteran 4c like Sutter. Not sure why he'd want to be a fourth liner but he would be the type of add we would want at a tdl. So signing him now wouldn't be terrible. My concern however is his durability.