The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Brandon Sutter re-signing in van

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t mind the signing at all if it’s 2 million or under.  The Canucks will need a good RH face off guy that can kill penalties and provide bottom 6 scoring.  If Boyd wants to test free agency, then I have no problem at all in bringing Sutter back.

We really need to stop paying 4th line players 2 mill. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Dude Sutter scores like 5 goals in 2 games then disappears for 30. He won’t provide you with any offence. 

He’s good for about 8-9 goals a season which is decent 4th line production if I understand correctly.   Aside from that, it’s his face off abilities and PK abilities that will provide a benefit and use for this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We really need to stop paying 4th line players 2 mill. 

Perhaps, but if you're gonna pay any of your fourth liners something in the range of 1.7-2M it may as well be your center. He's effective on the draw, in the defensive zone, and on the PK. Defensive hockey is just as important as scoring goals. Doesn't matter if you've got all the offensive tools in the world if you're constantly giving up goals against. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but if you're gonna pay any of your fourth liners something in the range of 1.7-2M it may as well be your center. He's effective on the draw, in the defensive zone, and on the PK. Defensive hockey is just as important as scoring goals. Doesn't matter if you've got all the offensive tools in the world if you're constantly giving up goals against. 

I think 1.75 is more than fair 

• Cheers 4

Sutter on the 4th line C with Dicky, Horvat and Petey ahead of him…. Boys.. and girls!!…this is depth down the middle and a good start to winning more games. Face-off wins = possession 

Sutter has a decent shot and hands, has the ability to put up 20g on the 3rd line... this could pay off quite well for the club if he comes in at a reasonable cap hit and short term. He’d be a pretty damn strong 4th line C

Really hope that he can stay healthy for once.

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Cheers 2

I think 1.75 is more than fair 

Somewhere between the 1.5-2M realm is fine by me. Sure beats paying 3M for a fourth line winger. 

JB and co have been pretty on the ball lately, here's hoping it carries over to the next few days. 

Edited by Coconuts

I cant see how thats possible. 

Waiting on the Dickinson contract he should get north of 3 million right?

Lineup almost set for opening night at forward.

Miller-Petersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland 

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter- ????? Lockwood/Highmore/MacEwan/FA battle for the final 4th line spot.

Time to turn the attention to the d core once backup goalie is taken care of tomorrow quickly hopefully.

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

He’s good for about 8-9 goals a season which is decent 4th line production if I understand correctly.   Aside from that, it’s his face off abilities and PK abilities that will provide a benefit and use for this team.

If he can play more than 40 games 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Dude Sutter scores like 5 goals in 2 games then disappears for 30. He won’t provide you with any offence. 

Dude, with a squad this young you need a good PK. It's not all about offence. Signing Sutter for 1 year would be a win as long as it fits under our cap after signing our RFA's.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

My only concerns are:

Can he stay healthy?  He's not really built to play that physical 4th line role.

Excellent PKr, but footspeed is an issue.

Offense?  Suter can kinda sorta chip in but probably not going to get a productive 4th line I hate to say. 

Also a quality guy no doubt.  Teammates seem to love him.  If they can somehow get him and Khaira signed on the cheap if be happy