The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tucker Poolman | #5 | D

-AJ-

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 10:55 AM, BlastPast said:

At 2.5, all he needs to be is a decent #5 and eat 17-18 mins a night; if he can chip in a little more offense I think that isn't out of the question. He doesn't take penalties, he blocks shots, he doesn't give the puck away too much; he doesn't really hurt you in other ways. Everything is dependent on health at this point.

I doubt he has the ability to carry a third pairing (which is what a #5 is).  It's less an issue of this cap hit & more the term he was given (duration of his contract). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 6:55 PM, BlastPast said:

At 2.5, all he needs to be is a decent #5 and eat 17-18 mins a night; if he can chip in a little more offense I think that isn't out of the question. He doesn't take penalties, he blocks shots, he doesn't give the puck away too much; he doesn't really hurt you in other ways. Everything is dependent on health at this point.

Agreed, problem is we've got plenty of bottom pairing defencemen who are cheaper. Rathbone, Schenn, Burroughs are all good options. 

Poolman was ideally going to be a cheap top 4 guy but may end up being an expensive bottom pairing guy. I don't mind him at 2.5M as the 5th defenceman though if he's killing a lot of penalties, that's fair, but he's got to log 17-18 minutes a night, not just 13-15. 

If we really fail to find a RD for Hughes, it's going to be a carrousel next season and I know Bruce will try everyone with Hughes, starting with Schenn. I worry Schenn will be older and slower next season so maybe Poolman will get a shot with Hughes...

On 7/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For him, and for the team, I hope he fully recovers from his health problems.

When he did play for us, I thought he played fairly well, and he has good size (6'2" 215lbs) and he's right-handed.

If he is healthy, I don't think we will find a better rhd for 2.5m/yr.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm honestly pretty willing to give this guy another shot before writing it off as a terrible signing. Barring his health, of course.

He's a big boy. Listed at 6'2, but he really did look closer to 6'3 on the ice. Really long limbs.

Potentially getting taller if his pant legs are any indication ^

Never really hated what I saw from him on the ice. He's just pretty unremarkable, and we need some unremarkable RHDs with size right now...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I thought Poolman and OEL looked quite good together last preseason but for some reason Green decided to immediately separate them when the season started. If Poolman is actually healthy now, we can bring in a new partner for Hughes via trade, and end up trading Myers, I wouldn't be opposed to starting the season with OEL - Poolman as the second pairing. 

A lot of ifs, but not completely out of the question. Poolman's more defensive style theoretically allows OEL to play a more offensive game. If he can be to OEL what Schenn was to Hughes this past season I think it works as a second pairing (as long as Hughes has a partner that can actually log 20+ minutes).

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I thought Poolman and OEL looked quite good together last preseason but for some reason Green decided to immediately separate them when the season started. If Poolman is actually healthy now, we can bring in a new partner for Hughes via trade, and end up trading Myers, I wouldn't be opposed to starting the season with OEL - Poolman as the second pairing. 

A lot of ifs, but not completely out of the question. Poolman's more defensive style theoretically allows OEL to play a more offensive game. If he can be to OEL what Schenn was to Hughes this past season I think it works as a second pairing (as long as Hughes has a partner that can actually log 20+ minutes).

If that actually worked it would be cool.

Rathbone / Schenn or Dermott / Schenn on the 3rd pairing.

If only they could ship out Myers for about nothing and use the cap$ to find the big-talent defensive RHD.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

If that actually worked it would be cool.

Rathbone / Schenn or Dermott / Schenn on the 3rd pairing.

If only they could ship out Myers for about nothing and use the cap$ to find the big-talent defensive RHD.

True but so hard to find and acquire. 

5 hours ago, nergish said:

I'm honestly pretty willing to give this guy another shot before writing it off as a terrible signing. Barring his health, of course.

He's a big boy. Listed at 6'2, but he really did look closer to 6'3 on the ice. Really long limbs.

Never really hated what I saw from him on the ice. He's just pretty unremarkable, and we need some unremarkable RHDs with size right now...

How much of a choice do we have anyways? 3 more years haha. Honestly though nobody factors in the hardships of completely moving your whole life to another city / country. Knowing nobody, Trying to become a member of the room ect. Everyone should be given time to adjust. Not to mention covid

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I tried to make that as sarcastic as possible:P

Sorry man; my old brain doesn't do sarcasm very well on the internet; who am I kidding?

I don't do anything (no twitting, facebooking, nothing) except CDC.

We are all Canucks and we all have to do everything we can, every second, to help The Canucks Win The Stanley Cup!

• Haha 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Sorry man; my old brain doesn't do sarcasm very well on the internet; who am I kidding?

I don't do anything (no twitting, facebooking, nothing) except CDC.

We are all Canucks and we all have to do everything we can, every second, to help The Canucks Win The Stanley Cup!

That's okay, Emotes are usually the sign to look for! Haha

Honestly with only a handful of guys who went to demmers wedding, Its nice to see guys like pools and pears there. Shows they sure mean something to that lockerroom!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nergish said:

If he's healthy (and that is the number one issue), he is good value for his contract at our most vulnerable position.

I also think people think he is kind of dumb because he has a kind of friendly dumb guy face. lol

He is not; and he is very serviceable indeed; but I would not doubt that everyone is concerned for his long-term health.

If he is healthy, it helps the team so much; just opens up so much for PA and JR and all the staff.

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

That's okay, Emotes are usually the sign to look for! Haha

Honestly with only a handful of guys who went to demmers wedding, Its nice to see guys like pools and pears there. Shows they sure mean something to that lockerroom!

Pearson will help us Win The Stanley Cup.

To hell with the young analytical types who have no respect for their elders!

Sorry, sorry, too many beers, well, almost too many.

I get tired of the 'get rid of Pearson etc' stuff out there, and I let it spill out into my rant.

Will Poolman be JB's last parting gift to JR if he's healthy?

Or will there be more to reap from GMJB's acquisitions?

I'm going with more.

I'm thinking JR and PA are gleefully picking through the bones of the last regime.

This is the Tucker Poolman thread and I am a fan of Tucker Poolman.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2