The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are the Canucks now a legitimate playoff team?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Will the Canucks make the playoffs next year?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who do we classify as the core?

Petey (1C)

Bo (2C)

Bess (Scoring winger)

Miller (power forward)

Hughes (scoring D)

OEL (all around D)

Demko (cute newly engaged guy, who can stop pucks too)

Rest are supporting cast.

I think you have to add Garland with that 5 year contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

For your sake, you better hope this is what happens.  But I'm liking my chances that the Canucks will still be better than Seattle.  Then VOTING YOU OUT time :)

If Green is still our coach I’m not worried.

6 hours ago, Nave said:

I'm the most excited about this team as I've been since 2010-2011.

Last season went wrong in so many ways. I look forward to getting some redemption.

H Sedin - Petey

D Sedin - Brock

Kesler - BO

Burrows - Hoglander

Hansen - Podkolzin

Higgins - Miller

Raymond - Garland

Torres - Motte

Samuelsson - Pearson

Malhotra - Dickinson

Lapierre - Sutter

Glass - Gadjovich

Hodgson - Highmore

Oreskovich - MacEwen

Tambellini - Lockwood

Bolduc - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Quinn

Edler - OEL

Bieksa - Hamonic

Hamhuis - Poolman

Salo - Myers

Rome - Schenn

Alberts - Bowey

Ballard - Rathbone

Tanev - Juolevi  (Tanev only played 5 games in the playoffs)

Luongo - Demko

Schneider - Halak

There is alot of resemblance from that 2011 playoff team to today's team.  The one main difference is most of the core in today's team is quite a bit younger than the 2011 team, which was at its peak.  Give the current team 2 years of playing together and you will have a similar result I think.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

H Sedin - Petey

D Sedin - Brock

Kesler - BO

Burrows - Hoglander

Hansen - Podkolzin

Higgins - Miller

Raymond - Garland

Torres - Motte

Samuelsson - Pearson

Malhotra - Dickinson

Lapierre - Sutter

Glass - Gadjovich

Hodgson - Highmore

Oreskovich - MacEwen

Tambellini - Lockwood

Bolduc - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Quinn

Edler - OEL

Bieksa - Hamonic

Hamhuis - Poolman

Salo - Myers

Rome - Schenn

Alberts - Bowey

Ballard - Rathbone

Luongo - Demko

Schneider - Halak

There is alot of resemblance from that 2011 playoff team to today's team.  The one main difference is most of the core in today's team is quite a bit younger than the 2011 team, which was at its peak.  Give the current team 2 years of playing together and you will have a similar result I think.

Hoglander, do we really need him?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Viper007 said:

I think you have to add Garland with that 5 year contract.

Agreed. Plus I see the younger cost-controlled as part of the core since if we manage to keep the JT and Horvat through their late 20s early 30s respectively were gonna need those ELCs and 2nd year deals like Hogs, Podz, Rathbone, Mikey, Danilla, Woo etc.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

H Sedin - Petey

D Sedin - Brock

Kesler - BO

Burrows - Hoglander

Hansen - Podkolzin

Higgins - Miller

Raymond - Garland

Torres - Motte

Samuelsson - Pearson

Malhotra - Dickinson

Lapierre - Sutter

Glass - Gadjovich

Hodgson - Highmore

Oreskovich - MacEwen

Tambellini - Lockwood

Bolduc - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Quinn

Edler - OEL

Bieksa - Hamonic

Hamhuis - Poolman

Salo - Myers

Rome - Schenn

Alberts - Bowey

Ballard - Rathbone

Luongo - Demko

Schneider - Halak

lol you are literally comparing apples to orange.. none of the players are remotely similar to each other in terms of play style strength and weakness.. 

Bo = Kesler?? kesler is a selke caliber center... and nasty as hell to play against.. bo is no where close as much as we want to hype him up. EP and Brock is not really comparable to the sedins as u can't just plug a career bottom 6 guy in there and turn him into a top line scoring winger.. hoglander = burrows?? in what way or sense? 

the 2011 team have far more grit and nastiness to it's lineup than the current team.. and it's not even close.. that defense you have players like hamhuis bieksa even alberts that'll flat out lay you out and clear the front of the net.. we have no one on that current defense to do that.. lapierre hansen burrows kesler all plays with a nastiness and edge.. who on the canucks have that in them? it's not like in 2 years they'll magically have that grit and nastiness required in the playoff.. the team looks good to make the playoff.. but i don't see the canucks having 2011 result in 2 years lol. 

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you are literally comparing apples to orange.. none of the players are remotely similar to each other in terms of play style strength and weakness.. 

Bo = Kesler?? kesler is a selke caliber center... and nasty as hell to play against.. bo is no where close as much as we want to hype him up. EP and Brock is not really comparable to the sedins as u can't just plug a career bottom 6 guy in there and turn him into a top line scoring winger.. hoglander = burrows?? in what way or sense? 

the 2011 team have far more grit and nastiness to it's lineup than the current team.. and it's not even close.. that defense you have players like hamhuis bieksa even alberts that'll flat out lay you out and clear the front of the net.. we have no one on that current defense to do that.. lapierre hansen burrows kesler all plays with a nastiness and edge.. who on the canucks have that in them? it's not like in 2 years they'll magically have that grit and nastiness required in the playoff.. the team looks good to make the playoff.. but i don't see the canucks having 2011 result in 2 years lol. 

On what planet is Brock Boeser a career bottom 6 guy??  23 goals in 56 games is bottom 6?  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

On what planet is Brock Boeser a career bottom 6 guy??  23 goals in 56 games is bottom 6?  :lol:

what are you talking about? i'm talking about plug a bottom 6 guy with the sedins and viola he's a legit top line scorer a la burrows hansen anson carter etc etc

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

what are you talking about? i'm talking about plug a bottom 6 guy with the sedins and viola he's a legit top line scorer a la burrows hansen anson carter etc etc

I see.  Petey is 22, the Sedins were 30 when they went to the Cup.  So like I said this team is much younger than the 2011 team.  However unlike 2011 our core is pretty much finished after the "Summer of Benning" and now we can move forward and make a playoff run and see what happens.  With the 2011 team most of the core was already in their late 20's or early 30's.  With the current team most of the core is still under the age of 27.

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think he's comparing apples to apples, but at different stages of ripeness. They are not meant to be exact comparisons--just roughly equivalent.

Pettersson and Boeser are ahead of where the Sedins were at the same age. It's not ridiculous to say they could make a similar impact in their primes. I'm not really sure what you mean by "u can't just plug a career bottom 6 guy in there and turn him into a top line scoring winger," cause Pettersson and Boeser are both top line forwards, and basically have been since their rookie seasons. If you're talking about putting a bottom 6 player with them, and turning him into a top liner, they have already done that with Miller. While I would liken Pettersson to being more of a Datsyuk stylistically, I definitely see the Boeser to Daniel comparison. Obviously Boeser isn't as good at cycling--almost nobody is--but the shot, sniper mentality, but lack of selfishness are all very similar. Again, Hoglander is way ahead of Burrows was at the same stage of their careers. With Hoglander's rookie season, we can already see the potential. In Burrows' rookie season, he was a 4th liner who would get the occasional breakaway but not score--we had no idea how good he'd be. They are both good at getting pucks in the corner for their teammates. Burrows is obviously taller and chippier, but Hoglander's heart does remind me a bit of Burr.

I agree with you that Horvat will probably never be a perennial Selke candidate like Kesler. Even though defense was considered his bread and butter when he got drafted. Still, I think we sometimes forget how young Horvat is, since he's already our captain. This season will really show his offensive potential, cause he'll have much better wingers. I wouldn't be surprised if he cracked 80 points at some point, which Kesler has never done. 

Podkolzin plays a lot like Hansen, but I have a feeling he won't have "No Hands" Podkolzin as a nickname.
As much as I love Higgins, I would way rather have Miller.
Raymond - Garland. Raymond is way faster, but Garland is more steady on his skates, and is a better playmaker.

Torres - Motte. Torres was a one man wrecking crew, and one of Gillis' best pick ups. But Motte is a better penalty killer, and won't get those suspensions.

Samuelsson - Pearson. Samuelsson was definitely better, but both can play up and down the line up.

Malhotra - Dickinson. Malhotra is probably the best faceoff guy I've ever seen. Dickinson, not so much. But both are great shot suppressors who can center a PK1.

And now we get to defense:
Ehrhoff - Hughes. No question Hughes is better. Ehrhoff was a great puck-moving defenseman, but Hughes is just on another level.
Edler - OEL. Very similar players, but OEL was a top 10 defenseman in his prime. With Edler, we thought he could maybe become elite, but he never got there. For OEL, it's more of a question of "can he get back there?"
Bieksa - Hamonic. Pretty similar, but Bieksa is better.
Hamhuis - Poolman. Hamhuis is one of the most underrated players to ever suit up in Canucks colours. I still think that if he didn't get injured we'd have won the cup. We've yet to see how Poolman will be for us, but he could surprise.
Salo - Myers. Don't really see the comparison either. Salo had an amazing slapshot, whereas Myers usually uses a wrister that's not nearly as dangerous. Salo was so good at positioning he barely needed to move. Whereas Myers is more mobile, has more size, and is much more durable.
We all know how Tanev turned out, but if Rathbone and Juolevi meet their potential that could tip the scales. 

Goalies:
We had a goalie controversy in 2011, not so much now. Luongo is the best goalie we've ever had, but Schneider had so much potential.
I see Demko as being more like Scheider, and Halak is just a great back up.

Considering all of this, I think we could make another run with this core.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Nave said:

I think he's comparing apples to apples, but at different stages of ripeness. They are not meant to be exact comparisons--just roughly equivalent.

Pettersson and Boeser are ahead of where the Sedins were at the same age. It's not ridiculous to say they could make a similar impact in their primes. I'm not really sure what you mean by "u can't just plug a career bottom 6 guy in there and turn him into a top line scoring winger," cause Pettersson and Boeser are both top line forwards, and basically have been since their rookie seasons. If you're talking about putting a bottom 6 player with them, and turning him into a top liner, they have already done that with Miller. While I would liken Pettersson to being more of a Datsyuk stylistically, I definitely see the Boeser to Daniel comparison. Obviously Boeser isn't as good at cycling--almost nobody is--but the shot, sniper mentality, but lack of selfishness are all very similar. Again, Hoglander is way ahead of Burrows was at the same stage of their careers. With Hoglander's rookie season, we can already see the potential. In Burrows' rookie season, he was a 4th liner who would get the occasional breakaway but not score--we had no idea how good he'd be. They are both good at getting pucks in the corner for their teammates. Burrows is obviously taller and chippier, but Hoglander's heart does remind me a bit of Burr.

I agree with you that Horvat will probably never be a perennial Selke candidate like Kesler. Even though defense was considered his bread and butter when he got drafted. Still, I think we sometimes forget how young Horvat is, since he's already our captain. This season will really show his offensive potential, cause he'll have much better wingers. I wouldn't be surprised if he cracked 80 points at some point, which Kesler has never done. 

Podkolzin plays a lot like Hansen, but I have a feeling he won't have "No Hands" Podkolzin as a nickname.
As much as I love Higgins, I would way rather have Miller.
Raymond - Garland. Raymond is way faster, but Garland is more steady on his skates, and is a better playmaker.

Torres - Motte. Torres was a one man wrecking crew, and one of Gillis' best pick ups. But Motte is a better penalty killer, and won't get those suspensions.

Samuelsson - Pearson. Samuelsson was definitely better, but both can play up and down the line up.

Malhotra - Dickinson. Malhotra is probably the best faceoff guy I've ever seen. Dickinson, not so much. But both are great shot suppressors who can center a PK1.

And now we get to defense:
Ehrhoff - Hughes. No question Hughes is better. Ehrhoff was a great puck-moving defenseman, but Hughes is just on another level.
Edler - OEL. Very similar players, but OEL was a top 10 defenseman in his prime. With Edler, we thought he could maybe become elite, but he never got there. For OEL, it's more of a question of "can he get back there?"
Bieksa - Hamonic. Pretty similar, but Bieksa is better.
Hamhuis - Poolman. Hamhuis is one of the most underrated players to ever suit up in Canucks colours. I still think that if he didn't get injured we'd have won the cup. We've yet to see how Poolman will be for us, but he could surprise.
Salo - Myers. Don't really see the comparison either. Salo had an amazing slapshot, whereas Myers usually uses a wrister that's not nearly as dangerous. Salo was so good at positioning he barely needed to move. Whereas Myers is more mobile, has more size, and is much more durable.
We all know how Tanev turned out, but if Rathbone and Juolevi meet their potential that could tip the scales. 

Goalies:
We had a goalie controversy in 2011, not so much now. Luongo is the best goalie we've ever had, but Schneider had so much potential.
I see Demko as being more like Scheider, and Halak is just a great back up.

Considering all of this, I think we could make another run with this core.

oh the core wise definitely but the supporting cast and the defense is still a work in progress i mean he's saying we could replicate the success of 2011 ie a deep playoff run. i see this team a playoff team but i don't see this team as a team good enough for a deep playoff run yet. the defense even if OEL bounces back is still suspect defensively unless OJ and Rathbone surprises everyone. and i'm not sold on poolman.. Winnipeg in general is a good defensive team.. just like the vegas was.. Schmidt looked amazing in vegas and looked terrible in vancouver.. we might see the exact same thing in poolman.. looked great in a well structured system.. and will get exposed playing in vancouver.. i mean who knows maybe poolman is a defensive steward but until the defense proves they can play defense and we get more grit/toughness up and down the lineup i don't see the team be at 2011 lvl in 2 years.. maybe more like 5-6 years which would put our core more like the 2011 core age wise

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

H Sedin - Petey

D Sedin - Brock

Kesler - BO

Burrows - Hoglander

Hansen - Podkolzin

Higgins - Miller

Raymond - Garland

Torres - Motte

Samuelsson - Pearson

Malhotra - Dickinson

Lapierre - Sutter

Glass - Gadjovich

Hodgson - Highmore

Oreskovich - MacEwen

Tambellini - Lockwood

Bolduc - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Quinn

Edler - OEL

Bieksa - Hamonic

Hamhuis - Poolman

Salo - Myers

Rome - Schenn

Alberts - Bowey

Ballard - Rathbone

Luongo - Demko

Schneider - Halak

This is a massive advantage. This team has time to grow as a unit. If anyone can't/doesn't live up to expectation, they can be changed out, and the core will still have time to make it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh the core wise definitely but the supporting cast and the defense is still a work in progress i mean he's saying we could replicate the success of 2011 ie a deep playoff run. i see this team a playoff team but i don't see this team as a team good enough for a deep playoff run yet. the defense even if OEL bounces back is still suspect defensively unless OJ and Rathbone surprises everyone. and i'm not sold on poolman.. Winnipeg in general is a good defensive team.. just like the vegas was.. Schmidt looked amazing in vegas and looked terrible in vancouver.. we might see the exact same thing in poolman.. looked great in a well structured system.. and will get exposed playing in vancouver.. i mean who knows maybe poolman is a defensive steward but until the defense proves they can play defense and we get more grit/toughness up and down the lineup i don't see the team be at 2011 lvl in 2 years.. maybe more like 5-6 years which would put our core more like the 2011 core age wise

You make some good points.  This team today is young so it has time to make changes if some players don't pan out.

Another team you can compare the 2021 Canucks to is the 1994 Canucks.  Alot of the 1994 core was still in their mid 20's when they made their Cup run.  I could go through the list of players but I won't.  I do remember that team being quite large and aggressive which was needed back in the day.  I don't think we need to have a team that big in today's NHL, but I'd like to see guys like Gadjovich and MacEwen become regulars.  We still need grit and toughness in the lineup, especially during the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

On 7/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, Lil B From The Pack said:

maybe if OEL has a rebound season. otherwise no

One player a team does not make.

I fully expect OEL to play and contribute to our team better than he has for the yotes for the last couple of years.

As others have noted our young guys have another year of development under their belt,we have added some other solid additions.

Hope Petey is fully recovered and plays the whole season.

We have some depth.

Good time to be a Canuck fan.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

H Sedin - Petey

D Sedin - Brock

Kesler - BO

Burrows - Hoglander

Hansen - Podkolzin

Higgins - Miller

Raymond - Garland

Torres - Motte

Samuelsson - Pearson

Malhotra - Dickinson

Lapierre - Sutter

Glass - Gadjovich

Hodgson - Highmore

Oreskovich - MacEwen

Tambellini - Lockwood

Bolduc - Bailey

Ehrhoff - Quinn

Edler - OEL

Bieksa - Hamonic

Hamhuis - Poolman

Salo - Myers

Rome - Schenn

Alberts - Bowey

Ballard - Rathbone

Luongo - Demko

Schneider - Halak

Sigghhhhh 

Soooo close 

Bang for buck Lappy was one of our best players 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

You are right for now.   Difference is with this core, the guys on this team have showed way more at a much younger age then any of our draft picks on the 2011 team with the exception of maybe Edler.   

2011 team also had its faults.   Sedins never elevated their game in the post season.  Sure tiny sample size but EP and QHs even too, produced at a higher rate then they ever did in the post season in a limited sample size (PGP).  17 playoff type games so far too.   And calling our team nasty back then is kind of umm well compared to whom? Pesky a little maybe but nasty not really.   I would say Myers players "nastier" then any guy on that team or at least matched them.   Bieksa maybe was nasty that's it.   Lappy and Torres compared to AR not really any different.   That 2011 team did have nice depth for sure though.   From what i've seen Podz should be in the same realm of "nasty" as Torres/Lappy were.    And hopefully produce more.     2011 D was 7 deep.   Ours doesn't at all compare to that yet.   Our forward group for sure has the chance or potential to surpass or match them though. 

• Vintage 1

At this point, given the improvements and the division they play in, its a reasonable assumption to say the Canucks have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

Are they good enough to be legitimate playoff team and do damage in the playoffs themselves?

The answer to that will depend heavily on the defense and the coaching. Our top 4 on paper is not really shutdown quality. They will need to prove they are to get past the heavyweights in the playoffs. And the entire style of the team especially defensively needs to change or they will get shelled in the playoffs.