The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Anybody mention that Utica is 7-0 so far this season?

Good for their fan base, they deserve it.

So as far as their success doesn’t come at the expense of Abby.:P

On 11/4/2021 at 11:01 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its not an ideal situation at the moment.

Of the 7 games the break down of game splayed (Dipietro 3 , Silovs 3, Martin 1). I get that they don't want to have border issues and quarantine issues if a goalie goes down in Vancouver or Abbotsford, but goalies need a rhythm especially Mikey and Arturs needing multiple reps after they both basically lost a whole season of development.

Especially with Mikey having a shaky start to the season, he needs to play to gain his confidence back, especially if you have him earmarked to take over the backup role as soon as next year.

Think Mikey’s issues are lack of playing time.  How he was handled last season was garbage.  He’s almost played as many games as ALL of last season so far this season!  That’s how little he played.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So as far as their success doesn’t come at the expense of Abby.:P

Think Mikey’s issues are lack of playing time.  How he was handled last season was garbage.  He’s almost played as many games as ALL of last season so far this season!  That’s how little he played.  

You could say the same thing about Silovs and his lack of playing time but his game performance is much better than I would have expected.

Don't think all of Dipietro's issues are due to lack of playing time.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You could say the same thing about Silovs and his lack of playing time but his game performance is much better than I would have expected.

Don't think all of Dipietro's issues are due to lack of playing time.

There are only so many spots on a roster for goalies.  And for whatever reason, the Comets last season had us sharing that goalie spot with a goalie that was "owned" by another NHL team.

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

There are only so many spots on a roster for goalies.  And for whatever reason, the Comets last season had us sharing that goalie spot with a goalie that was "owned" by another NHL team.

While that is very true  for Dipietro, the fact remains that Silovs only played 1 game for the Moose last year but he is still performing well. Not sure what is going on with Mikey but they need him to play better going forward than what he has shown so far.

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

While that is very true  for Dipietro, the fact remains that Silovs only played 1 game for the Moose last year but he is still performing well. Not sure what is going on with Mikey but they need him to play better going forward than what he has shown so far.

As long as one of the young goalies develops it really matters not which, no?

Silovs might be the better player.  Just fine.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As long as one of the young goalies develops it really matters not which, no?

Silovs might be the better player.  Just fine.  

You always want to have more options.

Way back in Laff-land, the Laffs had not one but two "hot" goalie prospects.  Justin Pogge (a bust) was fresh off a solid World Junior performance, so they went with him & dealt "the other guy".  Who was that other guy?

A nobody that happened to win the Vezina (just not for the Laffs).:lol:  Tuukka Rask.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Thanks for dropping in UticaHockey. The page is not as good as when the team was in Utica. Not as much comment and far less knowledge of the AHL players. Your missed!!!

Ain't that the truth!

With all the so called know it all coaches/GM's on this forum you'd think we would have some of them going to Abbotsford games and giving this forum decent feedback on our prospects...think 1 poster gave good insight for training camp not sure if they have season tickets though

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ain't that the truth!

With all the so called know it all coaches/GM's on this forum you'd think we would have some of them going to Abbotsford games and giving this forum decent feedback on our prospects...think 1 poster gave good insight for training camp not sure if they have season tickets though

Yeah, I just don't get that.:sadno:   If I lived in the Lower Mainland area, I would go to as many games as possible.  It's decent hockey and you get to see how the prospects are doing.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Keep an eye on this one,  I think we might see him in Abby next year.

Aku Koskenvuo

He's going to NCAA next year if things go well for him.  We won't see him for a few years yet if things work out. 

6 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

We may not see him for a few years but he is certainly one to keep tabs on.

Yeah - he's been accepted by Harvard.  Mentioned in his post draft interview on 650 that Clarke had been in touch with him.  I don't know how much distance (or close) coaching NCAA amateur rules allow, so it might just be conditioning and nutritional tips (although they are allowed to attend prospects' camp, etc, so maybe some video or hands on coaching is permitted)

Edited by Googlie

30 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah - he's been accepted by Harvard.  Mentioned in his post draft interview on 650 that Clarke had been in touch with him.  I don't know how much distance (or close) coaching NCAA amateur rules allow, so it might just be conditioning and nutritional tips (although they are allowed to attend prospects' camp, etc, so maybe some video or hands on coaching is permitted)

I would guess that Clark would be having a few conversations with whom ever is in charge of coaching the goaltenders at Harvard. 

• Cheers 1