The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Olli Juolevi

If OJ doesn’t impress the coaches during the training camp/pre-season, there is a good chance he doesn’t make the team. OJ needs to realize he is not guaranteed a spot, regardless of his low cap hit. I wish him luck and hope he is training hard right now. 

That sad part is that if doesn’t make the team or is sent down during the season, he is likely to be claimed going through waivers. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

If OJ doesn’t impress the coaches during the training camp/pre-season, there is a good chance he doesn’t make the team. OJ needs to realize he is not guaranteed a spot, regardless of his low cap hit. I wish him luck and hope he is training hard right now. 

That sad part is that if doesn’t make the team or is sent down during the season, he is likely to be claimed going through waivers. 

Gawd.....JB's drafting has been awesome but Virtanen and Juolevi are a couple of very high picks.  One of them has to work out!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Gawd.....JB's drafting has been awesome but Virtanen and Juolevi are a couple of very high picks.  One of them has to work out!

Pettersson's pick was a freaking homerun - and so was Hughes. ;) Both probably would go higher in a re-draft.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It happens…..this is why folks need to understand that first round pick are not always going to pan out. 

I’m glad we got great first round hits with Petey, Hughes, Bo and Brock but we have had more duds than hits in the last 20 years; Jake, OJ, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroder, Hodgson & White. 

It kills me when folks around here think that it is sac religious to trade 1st round picks when you can get proper player in return. JB did the right thing in getting Miller and OEL/Garland. This is the first time in almost a full decade that we have a stacked team that can truly compete. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It happens…..this is why folks need to understand that first round pick are not always going to pan out. 

I’m glad we got great first round hits with Petey, Hughes, Bo and Brock but we have had more duds than hits in the last 20 years; Jake, OJ, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroder, Hodgson & White. 

It kills me when folks around here think that it is sac religious to trade 1st round picks when you can get proper player in return. JB did the right thing in getting Miller and OEL/Garland. This is the first time in almost a full decade that we have a stacked team that can truly compete. 

Agree....even first overall picks flop of course.  Hard to believe that teams of scouts for 30+ professional teams can mess up a top 10 pick but they do every year.  

I'm feeling good about this team but "stacked" I'm not sure of.  We'll see.  I think it's fair to say this is the deepest team we've seen in some time in terms of NHL quality.  But are they a top-end contending team right now?  I don't think so.  If they're well coached and the team gels well, they will push themselves into a team that can reliably make the playoffs with a chance to go a couple of rounds.  But I still think they need some improvement through additions or from within.  OEL, Podkolzin, Garland and Rathbone are all a bit unknown at this point as are the bottom 2 lines.  With these four players, we may see great things from them but it will depend on how quickly they mature (Pod, Rath) and how well they adjust to the new team, travel, etc.  Either way, JB has done what he can so far.......other than the 3 signings left.

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Pettersson's pick was a freaking homerun - and so was Hughes. ;) Both probably would go higher in a re-draft.

True....like I said, his drafting has been awesome, but those two picks were high so typical JB drafting would have at least nailed down a core piece between the two of them.  OJ is our last hope for this!

37 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

True....like I said, his drafting has been awesome, but those two picks were high so typical JB drafting would have at least nailed down a core piece between the two of them.  OJ is our last hope for this!

I was listening to the guys on 650 and they are not convinced that the coaching staff can truly trust OJ. He barely played games last season and they were sheltered minutes. OJ, in their opinion, is a 7/8 option while the defensive group had become much more tighter. They think he will be cut. I hope OJ the best but the ball is now in his court to really impress. 

This is the definition of a show me contract. Love that he took less money to give himself more of a chance to make the roster.
I thought he was looking really good before he got sick with COVID. I expect him to prove he belongs in the NHL after a healthy offseason.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This was fine when Hughes was just getting eased into the league and he had a simple job of just protecting the kid. Now that Hughes is a 20+ minute dman, I don't think Schenn will be able to keep up that regular shift. I think he can do well in a similar role next to Juolevi in the bottom pairing, for example, but it would most likely happen if we come across an injury to Myers, Hamonic or Poolman. Between injuries and possible covid risks, Schenn could still get a good share of games in, but I find it doubtful that he would be Hughes' regular partner this go around.

That's a valid point, for sure. But if that's what it takes to make Quinn to feel more comfortable, so be it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Juolevi is fine. The media just talk about him because they’re so focused on draft position. Oh…..wait …….that and salary.

Rarely do they ever the discuss the performance of the actual athlete outside of hero sharts and medial shot vectors when divided by the hypotenuse of a puck. 

Juolevi's WAR chart must be absolutely brutal...

I expect him to have a great training camo and preseason and I think he will be on the opening day roster.  With OEL in the lineup we don't need Rathbone right away.  He can play in Abby on the top pairing and get called up for injuries.  No way Juolevi ever gets put on waivers.  This kid showed in limited minutes that he can be a top 4 defenceman.  Our 3rd pairing of Juolevi/Myers is going to dominate the opponents 3rd and 4th lines.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I was listening to the guys on 650 and they are not convinced that the coaching staff can truly trust OJ. He barely played games last season and they were sheltered minutes. OJ, in their opinion, is a 7/8 option while the defensive group had become much more tighter. They think he will be cut. I hope OJ the best but the ball is now in his court to really impress. 

OJ has only just entered the league....granted a few more years later than preferred, but injuries have been a problem.  He's still very young and this has been a weird time for new players to come into the NHL.  Sheltered minutes.......not many players play less than 25 games in the league and get the tough assignments!  While this is a bit of a show-me contract, it's also a vote of confidence to have him signed in the NHL and not a 2-way.  Way too premature for the guys on 650 to come out with such rubbish.

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

OJ has only just entered the league....granted a few more years later than preferred, but injuries have been a problem.  He's still very young and this has been a weird time for new players to come into the NHL.  Sheltered minutes.......not many players play less than 25 games in the league and get the tough assignments!  While this is a bit of a show-me contract, it's also a vote of confidence to have him signed in the NHL and not a 2-way.  Way too premature for the guys on 650 to come out with such rubbish.

When one tunes out the media, the Canucks are instantly better.

• Cheers 2

On 8/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, grandmaster said:

My Californian buddies are saying that Ducks talk radio is now rife with discussion of a Juolevi - Volkov trade.  Firstly, they need young left D in their system and secondly, apparently they don't think Volkov has fit in after coming from Tampa.  (If consummated, would give Podz that Russian speaking buddy JB wanted)

Edited by Googlie
For clarity
  • Cheers 1