The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jason Dickinson

9 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

The only defensive weakness Dickenson has is his faceoff ability in the defensive zone. I can see Horvat still taking a lot of these faceoffs. Nonetheless, Dickenson's other defensive abilities are off the charts. He is in  the top 1% of all NHL defensive centers. So - a great signing, in my opinion.

that seems to be the one area needing a tweak.  He was at 46% last season all situations (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=p&playerid=8477450).

I'm hoping that this is something where Sutter might be able o give some tips on ways to squeeze out a few more face-off wins.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

The only defensive weakness Dickenson has is his faceoff ability in the defensive zone. I can see Horvat still taking a lot of these faceoffs. Nonetheless, Dickenson's other defensive abilities are off the charts. He is in  the top 1% of all NHL defensive centers. So - a great signing, in my opinion.

Sutter and Miller can share that load too.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

The "Sutter we ended up with", when he plays is usually on pace for 15- 20 goals, even last year ... that's not what Dickinson is.  

You're right

But WHEN he plays isn't good enough.

The biggest detriment to Sutter was he's injured and unreliable, but was always able to come back and play so he could just be replaced because of cap implications. 

15 hours ago, wildcam said:

Rathbone will come out flying, elite skater and hockey smarts...# 4 D man by December..So much skill...

Yep but read last off season and people had him on the scrap heap and Rafferty in the show. Yet when anyone pointed out it’s likely the be the other way due to the development curve for Rathbone and his ability to read the game at an elite level people scoffed.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Wanless said:

Sure

But Sutter quickly showed that he was a great 3rd line center at best but really was just an average 3 line center with good faceoff ability.

I'm not comparing the Sutter we signed but the Sutter we ended up with

well - players get injured.  that's the risk and reality, particularly of playing hard minutes at the NHL level.

Nothing wrong with the acquisition - or the signing - it was simply a matter of bad fortune for Sutter - and therefore, not really fair - a hindsight revisionism to be expecting him to live/limp up to that contract while sustaining serious shoulder injuries, etc.