The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jason Dickinson

2 hours ago, Gassy Jack said:

too far...?

CARDS_2021_Dickinson.jpg.51740e4a851cdc5c001355eab23d6a93.jpg

What bugs me the most about this is that those tan lines clearly show a lack of commitment.  We need guys who are ready to commit completely and have that swagger.  Those are characteristics that wins championships. 

BTW, he's clearly not on the lower deck.  He should be shovelling coal or something below.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

AAV: $2.65 million

can you call it a re-sign if he was never played for this team. 

I think it should say the Canucks signed Jason Dickinson just like the news release says 

Or are you right because he was traded to the Canucks prior to UFA and therefor, was still signed to his contract when he was acquired

Edited by Arrow 1983

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

can you call it a re-sign if he was never played for this team. 

I think it should say the Canucks signed Jason Dickinson just like the news release says 

Or are you right because he was traded to the Canucks prior to UFA and therefor, was still signed to his contract when he was acquired

The latter.

• Vintage 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

So is Dickinson worth this 2.65mil x3 years contract? I haven't been able to notice him in the games I've watched. He is basically getting Foegele money, I'd much rather have Foegele. Garland has been amazing, it's a huge addition. Dickinson, not so much..? 

So far no.

But if he can get back to his level that he was at in Dallas then absolutely. 

I think he’s one of those guys that thrives on big games. Since the team has been playing pretty lifeless until recently I don’t think he’s had a chance to shine.

Him and Motte should fit together real nice.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think he’s one of those guys that thrives on big games. Since the team has been playing pretty lifeless until recently I don’t think he’s had a chance to shine.

Well you can't thrive on big games if you are not contributing for the team to have a chance to play big games 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

The guy had his limitations offensively I was surprised when they said they saw him as a 3C. I viewed him more as a good 4C with top PK duties. But then they signed Sutter as well so when he comes back one of them will continue to stall the offence generated on that 3rd line.

To be fair, Sutter is pretty much a career pace, 35 point player. That's not bad for your 3C, especially with the defensive/PK ability he also brings.

We could use him right now, hopefully he's getting better.

Guy's faceoffs borderline dropped off a cliff. 45% career is nothing to really praise but it's much better than the 36% he's at now. Say what you will about Sutter and Beagle but at least winning faceoffs was beneficial when they were not scoring. Dickinson is not scoring and losing faceoffs. I still like him, feel like he just needs to find his game. The only excuse is he's new here with players that are also new here. But otherwise the third line talent we have now is better than at anypoint since 2011. He should and needs to be better.

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, Sutter is pretty much a career pace, 35 point player. That's not bad for your 3C, especially with the defensive/PK ability he also brings.

We could use him right now, hopefully he's getting better.

Yeah, it’s really tough to overstate how much this team is feeling Sutter’s absence (and also Beagle’s). Going from having two of the better RH’d faceoff guys in the league, to having no righthanded options, is quite the downgrade.

I’m not normally one to puts a tonne of value on faceoff percentage, but this is one time when you can definitely draw a direct line between many of this team’s struggles, and their lack of ability to win key draws.

Starting pretty much every PK with a weak side faceoff is a serious disadvantage.

As is having only one true “faceoff ace” on the team, in Bo Horvat, who, unfortunately, isn’t really a natural fit for heavy use on the PK (even if he’s been the only one of the lefties who’s been able to win a good share of PK draws on his weak side).

Thankfully, Horvat is performing more than admirably under the load he’s carrying, but I’m not sure it’s sustainable. Piling around 30 faceoffs per game on the captain’s shoulders is a heavy load. And Green seems to be only increasing that load, as he has few, if any, better options or choices, to try to stop the bleeding. Horvat has taken (and won) the most faceoffs of any player in the league this season, and his 57.3% win rate is elite, especially considering the workload, and the number of key draws, often against the other team’s “ace,” and taken at disadvantage.

But so much would get better for this team is they had one RH’d quality faceoff option available. The PK would suddenly be starting with the puck and an easy clear on many more penalty kills, Horvat’s load would be lessened, and he could be tasked more favourably to faceoffs where he has advantage, and the other centres might have a chance to pull out of their funks, as faceoff stats generally tend to rise globally, once you have personnel available to adequately handle  the load. You’ll often see “poor” faceoff guys suddenly have respectable FOW% when they’re playing on teams with an established “faceoff ace” available for both the RH and LH sides. But when coaches don’t have adequate personnel available to manage the load, it’s often the middling/below average faceoff guys who see their win percentages plummet, whether due to lack of overall confidence, or simply the inability to shelter them.

Right now, it seems like this team expects to lose their PK and 5v5 Dzone draws, and pretty much every other key faceoff that’s not taken by Horvat, in three zones. 

That’s not to say Miller hasn’t been good. He’s over 50%. And Lamikko is just under 50%.

But when it comes to PK and Dzone, every centreman, other than Horvat, is under 50%, and well below 50% on the PK (where the team is only around 36% win rate).

Compare that to last year, where the Canucks owed the 5th best PK FOW% in the league, with both Sutter and Beagle (both RH options who can match up against the roughly 65% of league players who are lefties) winning over 50% (and Sutter actually winning closer to 55% IIRC). 

So yeah, we could definitely use Sutter right now. :( 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So yeah, we could definitely use Sutter right now. :( 

Indeed.

I'm also left wondering if Jasek would be getting a look right now if we hadn't alienated him off to Finland... Right handed, good on draws (at least at lower levels) and solid defensive play with good NHL level speed.

Here's hoping that bridge can be mended later this year or next.