The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

But it’s really of value to no one to release that information. I don’t think they’re super common. But you have to think GM’s approach player agents every spring about how much interest their client would have in signing with them. 

Are you even allowed to negotiate with the RFAs agent before hand? 

I thought you just had to make the offer and hope they sign.

Carolina done us all a favour here and they really made a statement that just because they are in a small market they won't be bullied by other teams trying to price them out of keeping their own talent. Of course this was an owner pushed move - doesn't really makes sense for their team on the ice if KK signs - but does from a strategic business POV, likely saves them money in the long run as it will scare a few teams off from looking stupid again by trying to inflate contracts of their RFAs . . 

Just old BargainBin who was bulging out his pink shirt with pride after the massively underwhelming offer sheet on Aho is now doing.  Now Carolina is reallllly making him look like a chump.  He now has to overpay for a RFA who isn't worth it or lose a #3 overall pick for what could be a underwhelming return if its a late 1 & 3. 

In a flat cap era these offer sheets are dangerous AF.  As this is exactly what happens down the line - payback gets dropped hard when u can least afford it and end up losing a valuable asset for magic beans. 

If we had made the offersheet on Aho - you could have been dam sure they would have done the same in offering Garland a 6M deal, meaning they get a good player a bit more expensive in AAV but cheaper in assets than we likely paid ( depending on how u view the value of the other pieces in that deal ). That's how u really get hurt -  Teams are always going to match on franchise players. So what's the point. If those idiot Vegas fans plan played out - we would still match on Petey and resign hughes to big money, if they had to,  but then have to trade out another piece or asset to make the room. Then watch out Vegas on any future RFA's - and lets be honest they are one of the most cap challenged team around. Big risk to take for something with little chance of succeeding in the first place. Benning as even said he will match any O.S on Petey. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Speaking of which that channel I shared of the Habs YouTube channel some interesting (and hilarious) points they made in the video:

- Hurricane organization are ran by Children and Babies

- Offer Sheets suck 

- Canes organization are using Kotkaniemi's and taking advantage of his vulnerable state 

- the Habs offer sheet was fair and structured and the Canes offer sheet was unprofessional and made to troll 

I agree with some of those sentiments to some degree.  The Aho offer sheet was in line with his value. Which is probably  why it failed.  The Kotkaniemi offer sheet is  2-3 times his actual current value. It’s retaliatory and designed to screw Montreal regardless of what decision they make.  The inclusion of the $20 signing bonus was childish. End of the day though they’re operating in the rules.  They sent a message about trying to snatch their players away. They may end up paying a big price if they have to keep Kotkaniemi at $6m and he struggles.  Time will tell 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

But it’s really of value to no one to release that information. I don’t think they’re super common. But you have to think GM’s approach player agents every spring about how much interest their client would have in signing with them. 

I actually just found a list of some reported offer sheets that were rejected. I guess it is more common than I thought.

Marner rejected two in 2019 from Columbus and Minnesota.

Point rejected one from the Canadiens in 2019

Benn rejected a 1 year 7 million dollar deal from the Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also has a player ever not signed an offer sheet? I’ve never heard that.

I don’t even think his agent would let him not sign it. It would be stupid not to.

Montreal can match if they really value him. Then negotiate a long term deal on a more reasonable salary. Something in the 4-5 million dollar range.

Any agent who doesn't ultimately make the player make the final decision should have his license revoked immediately.  No one wants the second coming of Eagleson.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Any agent who doesn't ultimately make the player make the final decision should have his license revoked immediately.  No one wants the second coming of Eagleson.

I don’t mean actually not let him just strongly advise.

Career length is not guaranteed. Not taking a deal that pays him almost triple his current value in one season would just be bad business.

Just like teams make financial decisions based on business, players should be no different.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I actually just found a list of some reported offer sheets that were rejected. I guess it is more common than I thought.

Marner rejected two in 2019 from Columbus and Minnesota.

Point rejected one from the Canadiens in 2019

Benn rejected a 1 year 7 million dollar deal from the Canucks.

It makes you wonder how the situation of the teams were doing as there was no retaliation.

perhaps an honest offer is so looked down upon, but an offer set up to screw a team is

what did Benn end up signing for, or what year was it?

edit

i just looked it up, it was discussed but never proposed, Benn signed for 5.25

the canucks and Gillis were also talking with Shae Webber about an offer sheet, shae said not interested 

Edited by Wanless
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also has a player ever not signed an offer sheet? I’ve never heard that.

I don’t even think his agent would let him not sign it. It would be stupid not to.

Montreal can match if they really value him. Then negotiate a long term deal on a more reasonable salary. Something in the 4-5 million dollar range.

Pretty sure Shea Weber refused one from the Canucks, Gillis? When Shea played for Nashville. He then signed the one from Philly 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree they don’t matter. It shows loyalty by the player.

With how every detail is reported nowadays you would think those stories would come out if it happened that often.

I agree. I bet Petey wouldn’t even think about signing an offer sheet. He strikes me as a good guy. 

20 minutes ago, rekker said:

Pretty sure Shea Weber refused one from the Canucks, Gillis? When Shea played for Nashville. He then signed the one from Philly 

Nope. They considered it but didn’t follow through with making Weber an offer.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/vancouver-canucks-considered-offer-sheet-to-shea-weber/wcm/591d3030-3f76-4173-9ae0-acfc27418278/amp/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I remember it well. Weber was in talks with Canucks. He chose to sign Philly offersheet instead so there was no need to make it.

Canucks wanted to. Had discussions with Weber. Obviously no need to send him offer when it was known he would not sign. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I agree. I bet Petey wouldn’t even think about signing an offer sheet. He strikes me as a good guy. 

Being a “good guy” has nothing to do with it.  It’s a business. Kotkaniemi got an offer that’s 3 times his market value.  Aho signed with the Canadiens.  Are you saying Shea Weber lacks character? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yes. After lengthy discussions canucks did not officially send offer because by then it was known Weber would not sign it.

• Thanks 1

let's be real the only time player don't sign an offer sheet is either they don't want to play on that team.. or he's close to getting a similar deal from the team he's with.. if someone is offering you a better contract then the one that's given from your team you'd sign it unless you don't want to be there or you think/will get a similar offer from your team. nothing to do with loyalty or not.. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

I agree with some of those sentiments to some degree.  The Aho offer sheet was in line with his value. Which is probably  why it failed.  The Kotkaniemi offer sheet is  2-3 times his actual current value. It’s retaliatory and designed to screw Montreal regardless of what decision they make.  The inclusion of the $20 signing bonus was childish. End of the day though they’re operating in the rules.  They sent a message about trying to snatch their players away. They may end up paying a big price if they have to keep Kotkaniemi at $6m and he struggles.  Time will tell 

How would they have to keep him? They can walk away from him next year.

I don't think I remember a team that fell off this quick after making the Stanley cup final only a couple months ago (Sens in 2017 didn't make the actual final). 

The draft controversy, Weber likely never playing another game again, Danault (their playoff MVP imo) leaving town and now Kotkaniemi making it clear by signing that deal and reports coming out that he's already been wanting leave just 3 years after being drafted 3rd OA. 

Yikes, Montreal.

• Cheers 1