The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Probably not, but the $6m is just for one year and (apparently) a new contract, with more term and far less $ will be secured for the following year(s). 

There's a lot more behind this story though.  Carolina had approached the Habs regarding Koko before the offer sheet was presented.  Also, it appears that the Habs have not done a good job developing their young players; mostly due to a lack of trust and sitting them during important games.

It seems that Carolina likes the young Russian's game and believe he will develop into a better player in their system.  If they're right, they will have a 2nd C in exchange for a late round 1st and 3rd.  Not too shabby.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/stu-cowan-hurricanes-show-confidence-in-jesperi-kotkaniemi/ar-AANXa57?ocid=BingNewsSearch

I’m fully aware of the situation.  I don’t doubt they like Kotkaniemi, but this was entirely motivated by petty revenge 

15 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

I find the irony in this revenge story is quite amazing. Montreal offer sheets Carolinas Sebastian Aho and Carolina offer sheets Kotkaniemi. Both are from Finland.

That is a coincidence and not irony. Just fyi. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

And how many teams think KK is worth 6.1 mil?

The JK deal is one year, and it’s kind like a signing bonus.  I’m thinking there is an agreement in principle to an extension of 3-4 mil/ for five years more.  So all together JK will be getting (basically) 6 years x 4 mil.  That’s a steal for only a very late first and a third.  The Habs look like fools here.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The JK deal is one year, and it’s kind like a signing bonus.  I’m thinking there is an agreement in principle to an extension of 3-4 mil/ for five years more.  So all together JK will be getting (basically) 6 years x 4 mil.  That’s a steal for only a very late first and a third.  The Habs look like fools here.  

Why? Because a vindictive owner authorized paying a player 3 times his value in retribution? It’s not like Kotkaniemi was the only unsigned RFA. The offer sheet will likely succeed because of the ridiculous overpayment. No other reason. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Why? Because a vindictive owner authorized paying a player 3 times his value in retribution? It’s not like Kotkaniemi was the only unsigned RFA. The offer sheet will likely succeed because of the ridiculous overpayment. No other reason. 

A wise GM would know that after sending an offer sheet to another team's best player, he could expect a similar response in return.  With that, Montreal should have had JK already signed and ready to go for the upcoming season. 

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

A wise GM would know that after sending an offer sheet to another team's best player, he could expect a similar response in return.  With that, Montreal should have had JK already signed and ready to go for the upcoming season. 

If you say so 

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t understand why some folks saying they would take 4 firsts for Petey. He is our best player, has the potential to be a top 5 NHL player and the rest of the team would lose their minds! Why would any of our players want to stay with all this mixed messaging about competing now to back to rebuilding? The Canucks will turn into a disaster of a franchise.

For me, it is more the cap tie up. $10.5M is not a price tag that Pettersson has earned... yet. It would be too much risk for the organization long term, especially with the unpredictability of a flatter cap. There are very few players worth that - maybe 6 or 7 league wide? I'd give it to McDavid, Prime Sid, Prime Ovi, Prime Weber, Mackinnon, Matthews, Hedman, Kucherov.. I may have missed a couple. It can hamper the rest of your team - look at Toronto. The argument could also be made that you could flip those assets into a young player of similar caliber at a more cap friendly figure.

This is all hypothetical because there is slim to no chance of it happening. I would rather have Petey signed long term between 7-8M.