The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good is the Canucks D now?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

On 9/28/2021 at 7:04 PM, cripplereh said:

our D group  without QH will be good, with him we will be great

we have made our team better but hold outs will hurt us, but not as much as people think

Our D is still the big weakness of this team. Especially if Hamonic doesnt comeback soon. We need a pure shut down D that can actually shut down top lines. Hughes still needs a stable partner.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Putgolzin said:

Agreed - it’s a work in progress like our forwards have been for years.

Like when we had a couple/few good top line forwards and seventeen third liners and another twelve fourth liners.

Seems like our forwards are finally sorted, but it’s gonna be a bit still to get our D in championship form.

Can the D issue be solved by trade deadline? Am looking at Seattle trading Giordano if they are out before deadline. 

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Way to early to make an assessment after a few preseason games.  Real test will be when we play a Cup contending team.

we are lacking in D, I know poolman and OEL have played great but our other D men dont look that good. Myers is still Myers. Rathbone is good offesively but still makes defensive mistake. Hopefully Juolevi can take a huge step this year. Schenn and Hunt are not good.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

we are lacking in D, I know poolman and OEL have played great but our other D men dont look that good. Myers is still Myers. Rathbone is good offesively but still makes defensive mistake. Hopefully Juolevi can take a huge step this year. Schenn and Hunt are not good.

Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of the parts.  Yeah, old cliche' but I think it's relevant here.  You even can get the opposite effect when two otherwise LEGIT top 4 D have absolutely zero chemistry (eg., Edler & Bieksa).  Those two were worse than anybody we'll have in our top 4 this season (even if there are no changes).

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of the parts.  Yeah, old cliche' but I think it's relevant here.  You even can get the opposite effect when two otherwise LEGIT top 4 D have absolutely zero chemistry (eg., Edler & Bieksa).  Those two were worse than anybody we'll have in our top 4 this season (even if there are no changes).

Edler was good defensively early in his career, but became worst defensively and I will say both were not the typical stay at home dmen. Right now we dont have a legit defensive D man like a Tanev or Larsson in our D group. We need one for Hughes and Hamonic is the closest thing to that and ge is still out. Just hoping Hamonic plays soon.

Our D just got a whole lot better with the TERMINATION OF YO-LEVI !  That guy was one of the worst 1st round picks since Lazy Jake "The Ripper".   Uncle Jim just doesn't know what to do with 1st round picks, either gives them away or makes terrible decisions half the time and some think he's a genious?  OMG -

OEL       Myers

Hughes  Poolman

Beyond that, the team doesn't have much in the way of NHL dmen.  If Rathbone is going to be rushed into the NHL, he will need a very good NHL shut down dman to support him.  Preseason Schenn is not the guy.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

OEL       Myers

Hughes  Poolman

Beyond that, the team doesn't have much in the way of NHL dmen.  If Rathbone is going to be rushed into the NHL, he will need a very good NHL shut down dman to support him.  Preseason Schenn is not the guy.

As most people say if you have two pairings you trust, you can cover up the third pairing.  But even then Rathbone could be really good and we have some serviceable replacement level guys on the right side.

A dman like Cernak from Tampa would have been soo good for this team. Yes they don’t come around often and you have to develop them. We really don’t have any of those type of dman in our system. I don’t know how they will fix this issue. They may have to wait for a team to start out poorly and try to pounce on them in a trade. It really is  something that looks rather bleak to fix at this point.

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

A dman like Cernak from Tampa would have been soo good for this team. Yes they don’t come around often and you have to develop them. We really don’t have any of those type of dman in our system. I don’t know how they will fix this issue. They may have to wait for a team to start out poorly and try to pounce on them in a trade. It really is  something that looks rather bleak to fix at this point.

Did Tampa develop Cernak?  I thought they traded for (or signed as UFA) all their Cup team D except for Hedman?  

Edited by Alflives

On 10/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, DefCon1 said:

Poolmans played great?

On 10/10/2021 at 9:21 PM, Rindiculous said:

As most people say if you have two pairings you trust, you can cover up the third pairing.  But even then Rathbone could be really good and we have some serviceable replacement level guys on the right side.

Rathbone cant defend, so im not sure how you expect him to be good.

Cup contending teams dont have one dimensional D's.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, DefCon1 said:

Our D is still the big weakness of this team. Especially if Hamonic doesnt comeback soon. We need a pure shut down D that can actually shut down top lines. Hughes still needs a stable partner.

With Hamonic out, have to think the next defensive defenseman is Poolman, if not Schenn. Who else would work with Hughes? I can't see Myers being partnered with Hughes, hasn't seemed to work in the past, not sure if it's going to work now. OEL doesn't strike me as a defensive defenseman either. Neither Poolman or Schenn screams top line defenseman, so that worries me as well. Might be playing too far up the lineup for those two guys.

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Rathbone cant defend, so im not sure how you expect him to be good.

Cup contending teams dont have one dimensional D's.

I'm curious about the defensive pairings. Anyone know who's been practicing with who? 

On 10/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Our D just got a whole lot better with the TERMINATION OF YO-LEVI !  That guy was one of the worst 1st round picks since Lazy Jake "The Ripper".   Uncle Jim just doesn't know what to do with 1st round picks, either gives them away or makes terrible decisions half the time and some think he's a genious?  OMG -

I'm not sure how losing depth is a good thing at the backend, considering this team isn't very good with its current corps of defenseman. I love what the team has done with its forwards, but if you can't defend, you can't win. That old adage is true, defense wins championships, and right now, we're not very good at the backend, at least on paper, who knows how it'll translate onto the ice. I'll be watching closely tomorrow night for the opener. 

• Thanks 1