The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good is the Canucks D now?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Poolman is better than last year's Schmidt.

Poolman played the tougher minutes on the Jets like Schmidt did?  I seriously doubt it.   He’s a solid 3rd pairing guy that can play up higher for short periods of time higher up in the lineup in case of injuries but he isn’t a top 4 guy imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

My guess is the right-side guys get pretty similar minutes and the pairings get switched up a lot depending on matchups.  As long as Hughes isn't paired with Myers, we're fine.

That's the challenge right there.  If right side guys get the same minutes so do left side guys?  Combine that with Myers/Hughes limits and you combos are at risk especially on the pk.

Poolman, Hamonic, Myers in particular with the unknown of OJ and Rathbone might expose some holes.

Any team with good LW depth will eat us alive. We have four third pairing defenseman manning that side. And if OEL does not revert to something resembling pre-Tochet form our offense will not be able to compensate for our defensive shortcomings.

Barring Shaw implementing a defensive system that utilizes every dman's max potential I think we're in for a rough go this year. 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who replaces Schmidt?

I'm not knocking Schmidt as a player, but do you think he improved our team last season?  I think it came down to his fit with the team or the systems.  Either way, we never really saw the full benefit of Schmidt to worry about who replaces him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I like the left side with OEL Hughes Rathbone and Juolevi.

The right side is below average because there is no top pairing right side Dman.

Both Myers and Hamonic have played top4 minutes their whole careers.  They just need 20-22 minutes in a defined role and these 2 will allow QH and OEL to work their magic.  

I think the d will be a strength.  They have more suitable players playing more suitable roles.

Edited by Dixon Ward
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Russell has always interested me. He always seems to get his nose dirty but he always seems to not be very good. I can't put my finger on it.

His cheap cross checks to Petie's ribs last March are what I remember. He never fights and never had to answer for it. I'd like to see DiGusepie Luke or Keeper take a good run at Russell. 

Because Russell never fights or owns up for his cheap crap. Petie shouldn't have to fight him for those cheap shots. Russell needs some payback. 

• Vintage 1

who knows.. personel wise we might have slightly upgraded OEL is prolly better than Edler given his age alone? poolman last year's defensive stats is prolly better than Schmidt? but it's possible Poolman benefited in winnipeg's sytem just like Schmidt benefitted from vegas system and simply wouldn't work in vancouver's system. and it's also possible OEL decline is a trend and not an product of playing on a bad team. we seen how fast players declined as soon as they hit that 30 look at Player Name lol even markstrom last year had a significant decline from previous years facing a lot fewer shots and probably a better defense.

9 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

According to Travis Yost,the worst D out of all Canadian teams.

Not unexpected.

https://www.tsn.ca/grading-the-defencemen-on-canada-s-nhl-teams-1.1691570

Ya....we'll just hang onto this fluff for later review.

Shortly after releasing our dogs of war at seasons start 

it will be clear to all this has become a new and formidable team.

Gloat we shall with vessels raised high draining them in celebration with Yost's hollow words in mind.

A winning future for us all is around the next corner!

Edited by Cat Man

Our D is, and will continue to be a work in progress until QHs figures stuff out.  Him and Myers together were simply not good .... Myers was fine otherwise, and brings enough to warrant a top four spot (which of course he's had since coming here, his minutes don't lie).    Wish we had a shutdown guy like Mitchell around.   Heck i'd even take early 90's Dana Murzyn at this point.   Losing Edler...will be curious to see who replaces those PK minutes.   OEL?  Not Hughes.   Maybe OJ. 

I think there's more at play here. Because when I look at the forward group. There's more defensive responsibility there than before. And they can all skate. If they defend as a unit, that will help the defence, which in turn helps the goalie. We also need to be more physical. Use sticks to block passes, and cut off lanes. Blocking shots should be only the last resort. That's how I noticed Tampa plays defence. And they are very aggressive in getting the puck back. That's why players like Hoaglander are so valuable. Not only does he provide offence. Even if he loses the puck, he works like hell to get it back. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We have four third pairing defenseman manning that side.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Do we have a shutdown stud on that side where we need him? No. Perhaps Myers and Hamonic would be 3rd line players on a stacked team, but on any other team I think they both slot into a 2nd pairing role. (Assuming Myers plays like he did last season. I felt the year prior he was indeed a little lackluster).

I still feel our D could use some work, I just don't find it *quite* as dire as you suggest.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yes, the writer is completely biased and this thread is a pillar of objectivity.

Yes.

What would one expect from our Canuck's fans' site?   There are other teams' supporters, who can pretend objectivity and use our site for their fishing grounds.  

• Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What would one expect from our Canuck's fans' site?   There are other teams' supporters, who can pretend objectivity and use our site for their fishing grounds.  

CDC is infested by Chicago and MTL fans. We must root them out and shame them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2