The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is the greatest FIGHTER in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who is the greatest FIGHTER in Vancouver Canucks history?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This one was tough, pun intended.  :)

But in the end I chose the guy who knocked out one of the greatest fighters in NHL history...

He also won a fight against in my opinion one of the top 5 heavyweights in NHL history...

Bingo. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Pound for pound..... Rypien...

RIP wee man. Heart of a lion...

Cheers but don't forget Walker.   Fought in an era with a lot better fighters and won quite a few .. was one of the better middleweights of his era - fun fact beat the tar out of another guy on this list after getting cheap shotted terribly by him in a fight filled affair.   If i knew how to add the video i would (Petit bloodied Walker with three hard punches when his arms were tied behind his back in a scrum)...    But yes he did have lots of heart RYP. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

-Brashear was the toughest guy in the league at one point and so I’ll probably have to go with him (although Brash sometimes had a tendency to forget about his role)

-Rypien may have been pound for pound.

-Odjick probably understood and relished the role of the enforcer better than anyone

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

rypien. watching the way he protected himself and darted around, it was almost impossible for the other guy to land a punch. like fighting a pit viper. 

as an aside, watching these clips and thinking about these goons makes me really glad that this part of the game is dead and gone. hockey is so much better for it. 

• Upvote 3

Rick, toughest guy pound for pound I have ever seen, Rypien.  RIP.

Though he wasn't really a designated fighter, honorable mention to Harold Snepsts for tuning up Dave Schulz when it was much needed and nobody else could (saw that one live and will never forget).  Also honorable mention to Gino Odjick for just being Gino.  

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Awesome topic!!!  

Here's my list:

1. Brashear - not particularly likeable but was the best fighter in a Canucks uniform

2. Rypien - best pure fighting skills but not a heavyweight

3. Fraser - didn't start them often but almost always finished them, superb puncher

4. Odjick - best enforcer in Canucks history, hands down, not debatable

5. Kurtenbach - not on the list but was an unbelievable fighter

Honourable mentions go to:

Glenn Cochrane - big, mean and nasty...but let off the gas a bit with the Canucks

Craig Coxe - Coxe vs Probert x2 is enough said

Tim Hunter - sneaky and entertaining

Scott Walker - YouTube Walker vs. Keane.  Had many superb battles

Darren Langdon - terrific fighter who sadly played only ~45 games for the Canucks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Brashear is absolutely the correct answer for this question.  At some point (because I have seen this discussion play out before lol) someone will hop in this thread and start banging the "huggy Brashear" drum.  So before that happens I'll just point out some other fighters who were criticized as being "huggers".  Floyd Mayweather, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Lennox Lewis and Georges St. Pierre.  I don't think I need to explain the point that is being made here.

• Vintage 2

NOBODY was tougher than Rypien period.  

He'd have fought

Brashear

Momesso

Odjick

Snepts

Williams

Any of our greatest and come out with a nod or an outright win.

But since we have such a short body of work with the gem; it's Brashear.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2