The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, tas said:

because often the person in the dressing room is more important than the player on the ice. 

There are very few of those left in the league anymore sadly they are a dying breed...I understand why it’s come to this but I won’t deny loving guys like Gino Odjick and the emotion they brought to an arena...

8 minutes ago, tas said:

absolutely he can be streaky, which is why he makes $3 million and not $6 million. but his chemistry with bo, combined with the fact that he makes other meaningful contributions even when he's not scoring, makes him a valuable piece in the top 6. 

So in your mind it’s not worth it in the preseason to see if Horvat can build chemistry with other, better offensive players that have been added before just deciding he definitively has to be with Pearson?

Despite the prevailing pigeonhole opinion of him, Horvat is kind of overrated defensively and underrated offensively on CDC. He is good defensively but he really isn’t the top end Selke type people here make him out to be. And offensively I think he is not far off top line C material with the right consistent offense type wingers.

With the additions the Canucks have made, I am not sure why going with the same role for him is a smart move. I mean, Horvat and Pearson had that role last year and we were kind of $&!# defensively anyway. I would much prefer Dickinson and Pearson taking those minutes and freeing Horvat to center an offensive line. It actually suits him more IMO.

EDIT: That doesn’t mean Pearson is a $&!# player, he’s not. As a 3rd line guy he would massively improve our balance and depth both offensively and defensively.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Although fighting is down in recent years, it is still a part of the game and one of the main deterrents for cheap shots on your star players.

And a deterrent that also acts as a cast off so that if a Petey gets run over, a guy like ZM is the pawn that gets sent out/sacrificed not to just scrap, but to avenge…like maybe serving up a nice tasty slash on the wrists. I can see Matthew Upchuck crying in pain right now…and it pleases me.

Also need a warm body to serve the 1,372 minutes of too many men penalties Green is going to rack up this year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

absolutely he can be streaky, which is why he makes $3 million and not $6 million. but his chemistry with bo, combined with the fact that he makes other meaningful contributions even when he's not scoring, makes him a valuable piece in the top 6. 

Pearson is a guy who plays in straight lines too.  (Direct, as Green likes to say now)  He is a good example for younger players to learn from.  

Just now, RWJC said:

And a deterrent that also acts as a cast off so that if a Petey gets run over, a guy like ZM is the pawn that gets sent out/sacrificed not to just scrap, but to avenge…like maybe serving up a nice tasty slash on the wrists. I can see Matthew Upchuck crying in pain right now…and it pleases me.

Also need a warm body to serve the 1,372 minutes of too many men penalties Green is going to rack up this year. 

I think it was Yzerman (I really can’t remember for sure) who said he had to tell one of his teammate to stop taking runs at the opponent’s star player, because he was becoming a target of cheap shots.  I don’t know if guys play that way anymore though.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it was Yzerman (I really can’t remember for sure) who said he had to tell one of his teammate to stop taking runs at the opponent’s star player, because he was becoming a target of cheap shots.  I don’t know if guys play that way anymore though.  

I think the incident you're referring to is Yzerman telling Avery to stop running his mouth at Sakic.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

image.gif.7f45e8cbf5685b2e4842884386327d4b.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

I think this waiving of Gadg had to be timed when clubs were flush with their own skaters in camp and the waiver wire was full to bursting with talent: today was the single best day to try to sneak a guy down that you want to keep for your own system/club while knowing that he will not be a starter on said club. 

If Gadg was a baddie they either would have cut him earlier or kept  him later to get valuable teaching tools in his noggin before losing him. I think it speaks to his being almost ready that he was waived today of all days. 

Username checks out

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Did we actually keep Petan for a bottom 6 role over Gadjovich? :picard:

This team is going to be so easy to play against. Our biggest tough guy is now MacEwan who is an average fighter and can only play 7 minutes a night…

I would love to see a whole behind the scenes style video from training camp. I need a better understanding of how our franchise values and utilizes it's players. Seems like an odd gamble, Based off what we as fans have seen of gadj, And thinking the likes of a frozenPizza / petan / dowling /chaisson will have a greater impact of the group.

I like what these guys have all shows though. We are the canucks after all. Need as much quality depth as possible because of our lovely injury luck yearly. Already is showing whats to come lol

Edited by Mustard Tiger

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

For a team thin on high quality prospects, waiving Gadjovich is a big gamble. Why wouldn't they use him? He's big, smart and cheap.  He's probably thinking "WTF do I have to do to make this team?"

He doesn’t play C, he doesn’t kill penalties.  Case closed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, no idea why they sent Gadj on waivers. He will probably get claimed.

Also, no idea why we are not icing a full final team with only 2 practice games to go? We are going to get lit up in game 1 if our D and PK doesn't come together. I can see the excuses already: "Those guys hadn't played together yet, and there was some miscommunication. They will be better next game." Months later... miss the playoffs by 2 points.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

There are very few of those left in the league anymore sadly they are a dying breed...I understand why it’s come to this but I won’t deny loving guys like Gino Odjick and the emotion they brought to an arena...

for what it's worth, being a fighter or tough in general isn't what I was referring to at all. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Pearson does get too much flak.

But he has hit 20 goals and ~45 points twice in his NHL career. 

That’s the trouble with him, he is offensively streaky and hit and miss from year to year.

Great 3rd liner, but we have better 2nd line offensive options now.

Anyone who get's on a very reliable player like pears is something else. What else can you ask for from a 3m guy? Always been a real good 3rd liner, Can play 2nd on a shallow offence team, Can play all special teams, 12-24 goals a year for his first 6 of full time nhl, Average 35-40 points. Won a cup playing every game And his one and only down year other then his first 2 years bouncing between AHL and NHL was our horrible last year.

So yeah pears ain't too bad at all. If anything either horvat or green are the problem at times for refusing to explore outside their comfort zones 

People need to calm down. Gadj will probably clear waivers. He had an OK training camp and was just OK in preseason games. He's getting way to hyped around here.

I would definitely put Dowling, Di Guiseppeeepppepe and Petan infront of him. Probably even Lockwood because of his physicality