The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

You win some, you lose some.  Drafting is always a gamble.  Besides, we're not trying to build a resume, we're trying to build an NHL team that can win some games on the ice.  Hanging on to ineffective players just for the optics is stupid.  I think that Jim has had an outstanding off season, filling holes and dumping deadweight.  It's now up to Green and the players to put some wins on the board.  I'm looking forward to this season.  I've had enough of negative nellies.  There are of course no guarantees but personally I think the future looks good for us and that Jim has done well with what he has to work with.  Go Canucks Go!

You think he filled the holes on pk and right side defense. I am all for being optimistic but there has to be a dose of reality. That defense and pk is a big weak spot at this point.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You think he filled the holes on pk and right side defense. I am all for being optimistic but there has to be a dose of reality. That defense and pk is a big weak spot at this point.

Noah Juulsen.  Hamonic not reporting wasn't Jim's fault.  We've got enough spare parts (i.e. overall depth) to cover the PK.  And I don't believe that you're "all for being optimistic".  For that to be true there has to be at least a little optimism.  GCG!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Noah Juulsen.  Hamonic not reporting wasn't Jim's fault.  We've got enough spare parts (i.e. overall depth) to cover the PK.  And I don't believe that you're "all for being optimistic".  For that to be true there has to be at least a little optimism.  GCG!

Yes let’s continue to add pieces that teams don’t want because that has worked out in the past. If Juulsen makes you feel ok about the right side then I don’t know what to say.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

Lind Gadjovich Gaudette juolevi Forsling.

Gonna have a pretty nice looking third line and defence pair of young players out there of our cast offs playing for other teams this year and for years to come.  

Forsling had a nice season last year.  43 games 17 points and plus 17.  I assume mostly 3rd pair usage as he was claimed off waivers.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Gonna have a pretty nice looking third line and defence pair of young players out there of our cast offs playing for other teams this year and for years to come.  

Forsling had a nice season last year.  43 games 17 points and plus 17.  I assume mostly 3rd pair usage as he was claimed off waivers.  

Coach Q knows how to use a player to best of his abilities.

I think OJ will find decent success in Florida much like Forsling. I wish him the best.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I get what you’re saying, but that’s not a nice 3rd line. That’s a bottom feeder 3rd line. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

4th in icetime per game for defensemen this past season for the Panthers.  One guy ahead of him in icetime per game played but 12 games.  He's a top 4 D on that team.

Who says Benning can't draft?  This guy was a real find in the 5th? round.  Problem is, our professional (not amateur) scouting is a real mixed bag since this guy was dealt for dog****.  Either a home run (JT Miller) or a *REALLY* bad swing at the bag (Gudbranson) or in this case (Forsling for Clenn-dinga-ding-dong).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

It’s a damn shame about OJ, but at least we got a couple of assets coming the other way. A waiver claim of OJ wound have been disastrous. OJ’s defenders love to diminish the whole bag skate situation but I’m telling you Juolevi lost a TON of goodwill from his teammates AND coaches over that episode so I think he was pretty much gone at that point.

I love how proactive the Canucks are being right now. And for the record, the mediocre preseason doesn’t worry me all that much. If they can claw thier way to a .500 record on that first road trip, they will be set up nicely.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

OJ’s defenders love to diminish the whole bag skate situation but I’m telling you Juolevi lost a TON of goodwill from his teammates AND coaches over that episode so I think he was pretty much gone at that point.

For all we know it could very well be indicative of a greater issue that only those behind the scenes are aware of. Regardless, it's not just about the bag skate itself. It's about how a player responds to physical stress and adversity. He didn't need to make the spectacle out of it that he did.

• Cheers 2