The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The OP has been updated.

There are currently 39 players remaining on the Canucks roster. 

Cc: @CanucksJay

Thanks for doing that. There is something deeply and oddly satisfying of seeing names get crossed off the list.

There are quite a few on there that seem like obvious choices to get sent down. Does anyone know the reason for keeping they might want to keep members of the AHL crew up for a bit longer?

36 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’d rather have Miller on the wing then at Center.  Yes Miller can play center, but he’s more comfortable and effective as a winger.  Personally speaking, I think a line of

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland would be pretty effective from a two-way standpoint.  I would go 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin 

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland

Gadjovich-Petan-Highmore 

Chiasson

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn (until Hamonic comes back)

Juolevi-Myers

Hunt

Demko

Halak

1) I would even consider switching Petan and Dickinson if Petan’s superior playmaking abilities can generate more offense from that line.

2) Juolevi makes the team ahead of Rathbone for me.  Rathbone is a better overall dman than Juolevi right now, but Juolevi is a bit better defensively, and his style will mesh a little better with Myers imo.  Send Rathbone to Abby and let him log big minutes in all situations.  If Hughes or OEL go down with injury, Rathbone gets called up and fills their spot.

3) If Hamonic is slated to be out for a long time (yes, relative term), then I would consider making a trade for Buffalo’s Mark Pysyk.

Would actually consider switching Miller and Pearson in my hypothetical lines:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Miller-Dickinson-Garland

Gadjovich-Petan-Highmore

Chiasson

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Myers

Hunt

Demko

Halak

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah good points. PK is going to be a point of issue.

In my mock-up the PKers would be, Dowling/Sutter, Di Guiseppe/Motte, Dickinson, Pearson. Then maybe Horvat, Miller or even Podkolzin as secondary.

But given Lockwood is waiver exempt maybe that plays into it aswell, they have alot of bodies including Highmore who can PK, and then see what happens with Chiasson.

I just think Lockwood 5 on 5 could be the most impactful. Really like his speed & we need that in the bottom 6.

yeah I really like him too. I don't think he'll need a lot of time either, if he goes to Abby with the specific job of PK time, I think we'll see him back up later this year.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's good Hamonic will play, because we need him on our D.  He's a good partner for Quinn.  Hopefully, he's up to speed within the first 10 games.  

Alf, your faith is waning. I can feel it. The Cup parade will be postponed to 2023:lol:

Edited by Maddogy
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

There was some discussion of Podkolzin possibly starting in Abbotsford just to give him more time to catch up with systems.  I'm not entirely opposed to that and I don't think that would affect him negatively either.  If that's the case, then I think Gadjovich and Di Giuseppe make the team.

Drance brought up a good point on 650 that by sending Podkolzin down his cap hit would double if you brought him back up; 925k now up to like 1.7M or something, essentially the cost of an extra player.

Not sure we have the wiggle room for that.

I don't think we should send him down regardless, but if so that might be a decision of either NHL or AHL for the whole year. 

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Drance brought up a good point on 650 that by sending Podkolzin down his cap hit would double if you brought him back up; 925k now up to like 1.7M or something, essentially the cost of an extra player.

Not sure we have the wiggle room for that.

I don't think we should send him down regardless, but if so that might be a decision of either NHL or AHL for the whole year. 

I am confused why would his cap hit double? 

Just now, JamesBlondage said:

I am confused why would his cap hit double? 

Something to do with his rookie bonuses kicking in - possibly because the Canucks are into LTIR with Ferland.

Not totally sure on that second part but I know it's to do with bonuses. I'm no capologist but Drance is pretty on-top of those quirks. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Something to do with his rookie bonuses kicking in - possibly because the Canucks are into LTIR with Ferland.

Not totally sure on that second part but I know it's to do with bonuses. I'm no capologist but Drance is pretty on-top of those quirks. 

Thanks for the explanation, some of the salary cap rules elude me...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Comeback_Kings said:

With Boeser out I'd like to see Podkolzin play with EP40 in a pre-season game.  Not sure who the other winger should be on the line though.   

Pods can play both sides, so it could be a righty or a lefty.  I too like the idea of Pods with Petey.  

Okay, here's how I see us starting the season, subject to tweaking in combinations:

22 man roster of:

Forwards

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dickinson Podlolzin

Highmore / Gadjovich Petan Lockwood (I think Petan being able to play LW / C / RW, wins this for hiim)

Defense

OEL Poolman (Yes, I think this is the top pairing)

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Schenn

Hunt

Goal

Demko

Halak

IR: Hamonic / Motte (I'm not sure how Hamonic gets handled, does he get suspended until his personal issues are resolved?)

LTIR: Ferland / Sutter / Keeper

Cap Hit of $80,711,492

Space $788,508

I think Rathbone starts in Abbotsford to play top minutes for a month or two, I think Podkolzin has shown that he is defensively responsible enough that he starts with the Canucks. I think Klimovich starts in Abbotsford. 

I think this lineup gives us a lot of ability to move guys around on forward positions, including the ability to put Miller at center and push Petan to the wing for a game or two when we are playing a team where we need more size down the middle. It's possible that we add one more guy either on defense or forward to stay with the team for the first 6 games, considering we are on a long road trip, mainly on the east coast and our farm team isn't out there any longer for fast call up.

This should be a playoff lineup.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Coach Green should try out the  Dickenson Garland combo next game.  Loved the game Garland played last night, total * disturber, so confident.  

Considering he wouldn't look out of place in a production of The Wizard of Oz, I was surprised at how effective he is, physically. He hits a lot better than I would have thought.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1