The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Why can't petey be more like McKinnon!!!!!  Man.. let's trade for McKinnon... 

We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

From, Avalanche’s MacKinnon on contract: ‘On my next deal, I’ll take less again’, Sportsnet.ca, 12/05/19

Edited by aznmonk
?
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

From, Avalanche’s MacKinnon on contract: ‘On my next deal, I’ll take less again’, Sportsnet.ca, 12/05/19

Don’t be fooled he signed his current deal after his 153 points in 218 games. Petey is clicking at a much faster rate to start his career. Looks really good on Mackinnon now but people talk a big game until negotiations start

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’re also over the cap.

They can declare with 21 players; put Gardiner on IR & they are good to go with a cpl mill to spare. 

It might mean Josh Leivo goes on waivers?  No big loss, Calgary will probably pick him up.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

MacKinnon will probably still get 10+ Mill on his next contract.  He'll just say he will take less because he'll believe he is worth 12M+.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, JM_ said:

Barry is probably demanding Marner money for that tho. 

Dunno, I guess I'd be OK with 1 UFA year given the lower AAV. None of this is ideal. 

Dude - JP Barry is not involved in this.   Pat Brisson is the agent for both players.    Did JP run over your dog or something.   You even started a thread just to bash JP.    Met the guy and he isn't that bad - really.    :lol:

• Cheers 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, JM_ said:

Barry is probably demanding Marner money for that tho. 

Dunno, I guess I'd be OK with 1 UFA year given the lower AAV. None of this is ideal. 

Dude - JP Barry is not involved in this.   Pat Brisson is the agent for both players.    Did JP run over your dog or something.   You even started a thread just to bash JP.    Met the guy and he isn't that bad - really.    :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Google Debbie Downer, then you'll get it. 

I have said this before on here.  "Fan" is short for "fanatic".  Fanatics don't spend their time looking for the most logical, rational, contrarian or pessimistic viewpoint so that they can seem like a big thinker to the other fanatics.  Saying that "all that matters is a cup" will lead you to nothing but disappointment.  I know that my team, of which I am a fanatic, has a small chance of winning a cup.  There are 32 teams trying and only 1 gets it every year.  So I would rather be entertained and escape in thinking that my team is maybe a little better than they are and have a better chance than they probably do.  If every fan had your attitude, there would be nobody cheering for 70% of the teams and the league would fold.

I know what you're getting at Dixon, but I think that @bbllpp was simply stating where the contracts came in compared to where he was expecting them.  

I've said a few weeks ago that I was looking for either less then 16 million combined, or more then 9 years combined.  If the rumours are true, then we landed right on the 9 years combined mark, and under 16 million so I'm happy but also feel that both Elias and Quinn got roughly what they deserve.  Not a crazy good deal for either side, but both sides should be happy.  

To be honest I was pretty excited about this season even knowing that Elias and Quinn might hold out for a while.  We have so many new exciting players that it was going to be interesting for me to watch either way.  Now with these two onboard, we're going full steam ahead!  

Next stop: playoffs! 

1 minute ago, hammer82 said:

Ok listen, this forum is addicting for the varying degrees of opinion of everything that is Canucks. Some of it is ridiculous , and some it it is well thought out. Over the years here’s one observation…

I have come to realize that half of cdc “arm chairs” think they are Steve Yzerman , and actually believe that they could have signed better contracts than JB and/ or had all of the relevant information to have done anything different. I have a suspicion that there are very few individuals on this board who have even a vastly remote knowledge of contract negotiation of this magnitude, or how to possibly run a massive business that is a hockey team. 

In my opinion I am happy that both Petterson and Hughes will have a couple weeks of pre-season/ practice, and excited for the next season. Lots of smart additions and subtractions this summer that could help translate to a playoff team. Money/ term/ value unless your Aquilini who cares. Nothing is guaranteed, just try to enjoy the product. Go Canucks!!

Well put, and welcome to the board. 

You have used up your one post per decade, so better pace yourself ;) 

Which new player to the team are you the most intrigued/excited by? 

6 years for Hughes is slightly more ideal than 5 year deal. Which was worst case scenario imo. I like the dollar but a year or two more and it's a near perfect contract. Petey was exactly what I was hoping for if not a 7 or 8 year deal. Short term deal, keep his RFA rights, a 5+ year deal after this one is great. I just don't like 5 or 6 year deals on players that are 21/22 years old.

4 hours ago, bbllpp said:

Isn’t Hoglander up too?  He’ll want his piece of the and got his eyes on Garland money 

Hogs has 2 years left on his ELC but Mott and Sutter and a few other fringe prospects contracts end.  It’s going to be tight but Benning’s been pretty good with his signings. 

15 minutes ago, hammer82 said:

Ok listen, this forum is addicting for the varying degrees of opinion of everything that is Canucks. Some of it is ridiculous , and some it it is well thought out. 

Honestly, same reason why I come back. After a bad game I always say "staying off CDC for the next one".

Then next thing I know I'm posting in the GT hours before the game. It's fun.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I’m curious is JP is involved or not, I know Pat Brisson represents both of them but JP also works at that same agency and has Tyler Myers as a client (he also represented Player Name). So I wonder if he’s got any voice in these negotiations or if that’s even allowed..