The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Just now, hammertime said:

Im curious if they make a large donation to Canucks for kids or.....

That would go a long way of showing they want to plant roots here. Then again PK Subban made a $10 million donation to Montreal Children's Hospital and was traded away not long afterwords. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This is absurd. 

I don't even know how this is a debate. 

Did the Sedins really try to max out their pay??? 

You don't think they could have gotten more as back to back art Ross winners and literally 2 of the best players in the league? They both won an art Ross. They were both  in the running for the hart trophy. 

Petterson and Hughes are not yet in the conversation as the best players in the NHL... 

Once Petterson wins an art Ross and is up for the Hart and Hughes wins the Norris or the Hart, maybe then we can compare? 

These millennials drive me crazy lol

I do have faith that Petterson and Hughes can be Hart Norris, Art Ross winners but they are not there yet. 

Neither Petey or Quinn are millennials….

They also signed pretty fair contracts given the market, so I’m not sure what there is to be upset about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m just stoked that this should put an end to the ridiculous trade proposals.  Short of QH and EP demanding a trade Vancouver was never going to move these two guys out

It won’t as long as there’s 2 brothers on the other team, people are crazy. You are right though they ain’t going anywhere 

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This is absurd. 

You don't think they could have gotten more as back to back art Ross winners and literally 2 of the best players in the league? They both won an art Ross. They were both  in the running for the hart trophy. 

Petterson and Hughes are not yet in the conversation as the best players in the NHL... 

Once Petterson wins an art Ross and is up for the Hart and Hughes wins the Norris or the Hart, maybe then we can compare? 

I do have faith that Petterson and Hughes can be Hart Norris, Art Ross winners but they are not there yet. 

Sedins took team friendly deals and donated to the childrens hospital in their prime… how much do you think Pettersson is going to demand in 3 years… 

another thought… how can Pettersson walk in and say hi to Brock and JT and say “hey i feel im worth 2 million more than you”

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If you followed the conversation, I'm talking about @wai_lai416 view that Sedins tried to maximize their earnings just like Petterson and Hughes

I just found it super disrespectful to paint the Sedins in that light as they have been nothing but giving during their Canuck careers. 

D-Jizzle a little slow if you know what I mean… I think he may be Gen Z 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, ABNucksfan said:

Sedins took team friendly deals and donated to the childrens hospital in their prime… how much do you think Pettersson is going to demand in 3 years… 

another thought… how can Pettersson walk in and say hi to Brock and JT and say “hey i feel im worth 2 million more than you”

These guys spend their entire lives working towards this goal. If they're as good as Petey, they deserve it. We can't expect everyone to be the Sedins. 

The players also realize Petey is their best player; it's been said multiple times. I'm sure they'll be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That would go a long way of showing they want to plant roots here. Then again PK Subban made a $10 million donation to Montreal Children's Hospital and was traded away not long afterwords. 

that was just pk building his brand, though. 

• RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Dirtman said:

These guys spend their entire lives working towards this goal. If they're as good as Petey, they deserve it. We can't expect everyone to be the Sedins. 

The players also realize Petey is their best player; it's been said multiple times. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Define best player… Because I would say JT miller is better right now. 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This is absurd. 

The sedins hadnt won anything when they signed those deals. Henrik won the year after they signed and daniel won the year after that. Petey and Quin also signed for a smaller cap hit relative to the sedins at the time. Do you really think the sedins would have signed the same deal if they played today? I bet they would be in the 7.5 to 8.5 million range as well

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If you followed the conversation, I'm talking about @wai_lai416 view that Sedins tried to maximize their earnings just like Petterson and Hughes

I just found it super disrespectful to paint the Sedins in that light as they have been nothing but giving during their Canuck careers. 

The Sedin’s were anomalies. They never got the respect they deserved around the league (or with some of our own fan base).

They definitely took being part of a team and the city to the next level! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

When did Wayne sign his last contract? When did the Sedins? Has your wage risen as much from when the Sedins signed to today? Didn’t think so… kids are entitled today. 

Well let's compare apples to apples here:

The Sedins each signed 3 year bridge deals with an AAV of $3.575 million which at that time accounted for 8.13% of the cap. Pettersson is speculated to sign a 3 year bridge of $7.7 million in the very near future which accounts for 9.45% of the current salary cap. Those are two very comparable contracts, percentage wise at least, they are each taking up an almost identical sized portion of the pie, it's in no way Pettersson's fault that the pie has become so much larger at this point.

At the time the Sedins signed, Henrik had put up 0.553 P/GP and Daniel had 0.559 P/GP. Pettersson at the time of his signing is at 0.927 P/GP. Pettersson has already won the Calder Trophy and has received votes for the Lady Byng twice as well as votes for the Hart, at this point in the careers for the Sedins, Daniel had finished 8th for the Calder as his only award votes and Henrik was 55th for the Selke in one season.

The simple fact is that even though the numbers are larger, the percentage of the cap is nearly equivalent which has to be seen as a win because Pettersson, at this point in his career, has achieved far more than the Sedins.

And on a side note: You clearly need a stronger union representing you becuase my wage increases 2-3% annually.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Define best player… Because I would say JT miller is better right now. 

Miller is a good player, He’s not on Petey’s level though I don’t think. 

That being said, he’s definitely in line for a raise on his next contract. 

• Cheers 1