The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

and when he does?  I don't think it's a coincidence a breakthrough in these signings happens when potentially 3M in space opens up in an opt-out.

Regardless, my original point was in regards to some here who were acting like Hughes and Pettersson were being too greedy and capping us out with their reported AAVs.

I agree with your premise, just don't make unfounded claims to support said premise.  

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

But why should a pro hockey player have to live off of $1 million a year when it's the players that put the fans in the seats, that the owners then use to generate hundreds of millions a year in revenue?

This has been my point for years now, why shouldnt the players be getting a large chunk of the revenues when its their bodies on the line. I would rather players to get my ticket/ merch money than see more of it go to aqualinis pocket

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Sedins took team friendly deals and donated to the childrens hospital in their prime… how much do you think Pettersson is going to demand in 3 years… 

another thought… how can Pettersson walk in and say hi to Brock and JT and say “hey i feel im worth 2 million more than you”

No, but they, like any other player in the NHL will say, good for you guys, now let's get to work. Do you honestly think that EP would say, I feel I'm worth 2M more than you? Grasping at straws so early in the morning.

3 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

But why should a pro hockey player have to live off of $1 million a year when it's the players that put the fans in the seats, that the owners then use to generate hundreds of millions a year in revenue?

Im just using $1 mil as an arbitrary number to say that inflation doesn't effect a millionaire as much as someone on min wage or in the trades…

Just now, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

This has been my point for years now, why shouldnt the players be getting a large chunk of the revenues when its their bodies on the line. I would rather players to get my ticket/ merch money than see more of it go to aqualinis pocket

Especially when there are "a few" ethical concerns regarding the owners business practices. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

No, but they, like any other player in the NHL will say, good for you guys, now let's get to work. Do you honestly think that EP would say, I feel I'm worth 2M more than you? Grasping at straws so early in the morning.

Why would he say that? He doesn’t have to. He did it when he signed the contract. Not as bad in the Canucks dressing room but imagine sitting across from mitch marner and knowing you hit more block shots and lay your body on the line more yet he thinks hes worth 9 million more… 

3 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Sedins final contract was after all their awards… stanley cup finals and two presidents trophies. And it was still only 7 mil a year. 

Quinn and Petey have 1 playoff series win and they sat out training camp and preseason to milk as much money as possible 

When they signed their last contract they already werent in their prime. Daniel had 47 points and hank had 50. Not exactly greats stats to be paying 7 million for. I would sign petey for his contract before either of the sedins for their last contract anyday. 

3 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I mean, I hold no ill will towards owners…. They make the investment for a reason and deserve return on it. In a perfect world owners are happy AND the players make a fair chunk of the profit as there wouldn’t be a game without them. 

2 minutes ago, WiseOne said:

Especially when there are "a few" ethical concerns regarding the owners business practices. 

I think you probably need to substantiate a claim like that? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

So pay the trainers more… the concession stand people… the grinders… idgaf but Pettersson can’t tell me he works harder than Miller or Motte… 

1 minute ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

When they signed their last contract they already werent in their prime. Daniel had 47 points and hank had 50. Not exactly greats stats to be paying 7 million for. I would sign petey for his contract before either of the sedins for their last contract anyday. 

One would almost say they earned it… hmm funny how that works. Young kids don’t need to earn it anymore i guess

7 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Sedins final contract was after all their awards… stanley cup finals and two presidents trophies. And it was still only 7 mil a year. 

Quinn and Petey have 1 playoff series win and they sat out training camp and preseason to milk as much money as possible 

Huh? Minnesota, St Louis, a ROY, a Calder nominee, and three all star appearances for the two of them.

Thing is Petey won’t be more effective playing an all out grinding style.  We does well by using his best skills and attributes.  Motte isn’t an nhl player without his playing style.  Miller is more effective because he has skill and can use physical tools to control the puck in the attacking end of the rink.

Just now, ABNucksfan said:

So pay the trainers more… the concession stand people… the grinders… idgaf but Pettersson can’t tell me he works harder than Miller or Motte… 

He is more effective at his job than either of those two and he would be in much higher demand in an open market. Thats why he gets paid more and by year 3 of this contract will definitely be earning his cap hit if not more

Just now, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

He is more effective at his job than either of those two and he would be in much higher demand in an open market. Thats why he gets paid more and by year 3 of this contract will definitely be earning his cap hit if not more

Is he more effective? How do you quantify that? Miller had almost a point per game this last season. Miller also plays a heavy hitting game and is a strong leader as well.

7 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Huh? Minnesota, St Louis, a ROY, a Calder nominee, and three all star appearances for the two of them.

Huh? Is right. 

Edit. Minnesota bubble hockey wasn’t considered a round.

Van won against St.louis in the first round of the playoffs. And thats it.

Edited by ABNucksfan
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Just trying to interpret the cba, maybe someone can help me. When is Hughes eligible to become a UFA. Will it be at expiry of this contract or is he still rfa?

UFA.   6 years covers 5 RFA years + 1 UFA year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ABNucksfan said:

One would almost say they earned it… hmm funny how that works. Young kids don’t need to earn it anymore i guess

And most would say, paying athletes based on past performances, especially in their 30's is a big mistake. That's how you end up with players like Player Name making $6 million, Wheeler making $8.25M for 50 points to age 39, Karlsson making $11.5M and long list of other contracts that aged incredibly poorly.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, AV. said:

Good on the star boys for getting as much as they could get.  They're legit talents and they know it.  Not their fault the GM doesn't ever budget correctly.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Yep.  13.7M in space and only 10F listed (that's already including Ferlend on LTIR).

But no Hamonic opt-out, I'm told.:rolleyes:

Makes you wonder...