The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

58 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

does this include all bonuses monies too? does cap friendly add all monies into their totals? can their  sign petey and quinn without using ferland's ltir?

Yes to both. their is a bonus cushion in the offseason, so we can be over the cap and place Ferland on LTIR during the offseason.

Timing is everything with LTIR, and we should have no worries.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, Team Bagues said:

Hughes 5.5 - he'll get more once his own end matches his offence - and he stops with the ozone giveaways.

Pettersson 6.5 - maybe 7.0, but he hasn't shown Barzal consistency yet.

done.

Why would Hughes take less than OEL when he's better in every way?

• Wat 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, Team Bagues said:

Hughes 5.5 - he'll get more once his own end matches his offence - and he stops with the ozone giveaways.

Pettersson 6.5 - maybe 7.0, but he hasn't shown Barzal consistency yet.

done.

I couldn't agree more. You think people would have learned about huge money going out without consistency being proven. Hughes is really good, but needs to improve his defensive game, and giveaways. Petey looks great, lets see some more of him before maxing out his contract.  I'd rather bridge and know what I'm signing long term than go long term and find out Petey's always injured, ala Tanev. They're going to get the big money down the road regardless and I'd hate to see us handcuffed again. If he works out and decides not to be here then god bless him on his next contract but we could trade him for some valuable pieces.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why do GM's need to overpay on expiring rookie ELC's? We can thank the Laffs for that, wish the Canucks went the Tampa Bay route...sign guys to decent to undervalue bridge deals then lock them up long term after that. Keeps the cap hit down to maintain an even deep roster then when the stars get paid you lose your depth but hopefully you draft well and can get top College and Euro FA to sign cheap contracts to fill out the roster.

OEL got paid on his 3rd or 4th contract not his 2nd. OEL is a much more well rounded D man than the 1 dimensional Hughes at the moment.

Those last 3 words of your post caused my brain to short circuit haha!  Hughes can easily get better and I think of a guy like Ryan Ellis who was still spending half the year in the AHL at the same age.  But OEL has already developed the D side of his game.... but is he still that same guy? And... Error Error CPU is overheating!

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why do GM's need to overpay on expiring rookie ELC's? We can thank the Laffs for that, wish the Canucks went the Tampa Bay route...sign guys to decent to undervalue bridge deals then lock them up long term after that. Keeps the cap hit down to maintain an even deep roster then when the stars get paid you lose your depth but hopefully you draft well and can get top College and Euro FA to sign cheap contracts to fill out the roster.

OEL got paid on his 3rd or 4th contract not his 2nd. OEL is a much more well rounded D man than the 1 dimensional Hughes at the moment.

Hey I'm all in for "following the Tampa route" but to follow that route you need a GM capable of pulling it off.. a winning team to make taking discounts be worth it, and/or an internal cap where nobody gets paid more than your stars like when the Sedins were here.  The Canucks have none of these things.

As far as the Toronto thing.  Pettersson isn't Matthews..  and there's no reason for the Canucks to pay youngsters the way that Toronto does, any more than there's reason for Toronto to pay bottom 6 forwards and average defensemen the way Vancouver does. 

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Hey I'm all in for "following the Tampa route" but to follow that route you need a GM capable of pulling it off.. a winning team to make taking discounts be worth it, and/or an internal cap where nobody gets paid more than your stars like when the Sedins were here.  The Canucks have none of these things.

As far as the Toronto thing.  Pettersson isn't Matthews..  and there's no reason for the Canucks to pay youngsters the way that Toronto does, any more than there's reason for Toronto to pay bottom 6 forwards and average defensemen the way Vancouver does. 

i wouldn't call it the tampa route.. they are just more so lucky kucherov was signed before he exploded.. and brayden point at that time of his bridge contract he was paid pretty close to market.. he was a 0.75ppg guy until kucherov lit the league on fire.. so his 6.75x3 contract was pretty fair at the time considering his increase in production was more of a beneficary of kucherov.. they also backloaded his contract where he's guranteed to make 9mil just on the qualifying offer on his next contract.. kucherov when he signed his 4.75 was maybe 500k-1mil under market but comparable was prolly like brayden schenn in terms of production who signed for 5.1 but he was a UFA so he had a lot more bargaining power even though kucherov is prolly a better player and then after that he blew up.. all those player signed at around the market price at the time they signed so i wouldn't say oh tampa was awesome they signed these players to such cheap contract.. ya they managed it because those players didn't blow up to what they currently are now yet.

15 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I have to agree with most here, both players need to show more to get the bigger money.

5.5 to 6.5 if the most either should get at this point at a 3 to 4 year deal.

I've always thought it would be ~$5.5m x 3-4 for Hughes, ~$6.5m x 3 for Pettersson. Wouldn't mind seeing them with staggered expiries, so cap will be easier to come by.

If '19-'20 Hughes sticks around and learns to play defence like '19-'20 Stecher, then I feel the long term figures north of $8m AAV will be warranted. Petey just needs to keep on keepin' on, and work on the faceoffs with Bo.

Thinking it'll be bridge contracts for both.  JB kicking the can further down the road instead of locking them long term.  In a way, it makes sense for both the team and players.  The team gets a cheaper deal and cap flexibility in the short term.   The players will land a much higher contract next time.

So maybe EP $7.5 x 3yrs and QH $7 x 4yrs.