The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Pre-Season Jets @ Canucks Sunday, Oct. 3/21 - 4:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

I'm a bit surprised how similar our PP looks to last season despite the change in PP coach. Players still remain so static and it's still Miller either passing to Horvat in the slot for a one timer or doing a back pass to the point. 

whos our PP coach again?

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Garland as 1LW if Miller is 3C.

Miller's strength is that he plays well with anyone. We can even try Dickinson on wing and have someone else center the 4th line.

Garland-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Dickinson-Miller-Podkolzin

4th line: 3 of

Lockwood

Gadjovich

Highmore

Chiasson

until Sutter and Motte are back.

Which brings me back to my point: none of the guys listed really impressed me all that much as a candidate for the 1LW position (at least not right now). Should Miller be moved to 3C, and Garland is put on the 1st line, then I shall be cheering him on and hoping for the best.

regards,  G.

Nice win. But the real ones count in a couple of weeks. Nevertheless, it’s always nice to get one and get something to feel good about. Petan, Pearson, Horvat, Bowey looked real good. Halak showed his flashes of brilliance and his shades of Boston days tonight. Hope the boys continue its preseason, finish strong and carry it over to the start of the regular season! GCG!

Edited by Beary Sweet

4 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Which brings me back to my point: none of the guys listed really impressed me all that much as a candidate for the 1LW position (at least not right now). Should Miller be moved to 3C, and Garland is put on the 1st line, then I shall be cheering him on and hoping for the best.

regards,  G.

I think Garland should be given the opportunity to play alongside EP in the next few preseason games to see if there is a fit there.

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Which is too bad because I really like Big Mac and I had high hopes for him to show well this season. 

Same here...  I had high hopes for big Mac two years ago and he just suddenly lost the drive! For him to thrive and prove his value, he gotta almost play like Ryan Reaves, very impactful in a fearsome way!  Reaves is 34 now and still got a job!! 

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Well Petan will be playing on 3rd line and Chiasson will be a 4th liner. Those 2 will not be in lineup once Motte and Sutter come back.

Motte should be back in the near future as he's making a full recovery... It's Sutter that has a more serious health concern!  

Chiasson is definitely an NHLer!! We gotta keep him over the likes of MacEwen and Highmore!!  Di Giuseppe is good as a fill in for Motte. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petan is kind of small to play the role he will have when the team is complete.  Where does he fit?  He’s more of a contingency guy for injuries to skill guys.  We need to be able to play a heavier game than before.  Chaisson does that.  

Petan has been playing a heavy game 

2 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Dickenson - Podkolzin

Gadjovich - MacEwan - Chiasson

Looks pretty close to our opening line-up!! 

I'd swap Garland with Hoglander and put in either Petan or Highmore in 4C.... Big Mac will be lucky to even get an extra forward spot! 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Same here...  I had high hopes for big Mac two years ago and he just suddenly lost the drive! For him to thrive and prove his value, he gotta almost play like Ryan Reaves, very impactful in a fearsome way!  Reaves is 34 now and still got a job!! 

I know what you’re saying, but Big Mac is nowhere near a Reaves level deterrent. Nor will he ever be. But as a middleweight grinder, yes, he needs to be sticking up for his teammates when called upon, but the rest of the time he needs to be out there hitting everything that moves. Play with high energy and intensity. Make the other team second guess themselves when he’s on the ice. Keep ‘em looking over their shoulders!

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, khay said:

I think Garland should be given the opportunity to play alongside EP in the next few preseason games to see if there is a fit there.

Wouldn't hurt. Pre-season is when you try out stuff like that....

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Wtf GIF - Wtf - Discover & Share GIFs

John and John were discussing Rathbone during this game, and while they admitted to liking Rathbone, they also noted that he was a high risk guy in his own end (with video to back up that statement which showed a giveaway and a risky pass which went in front of the Vancouver net).).

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Petan has been playing a heavy game 

A heavy game in preseason is quite different than a heavy game in the regular season.  We have enough smaller players on the team.  Petan has never been an NHL regular and he is 26.  He could be a nice fill in in the top 6 with injuries but he's not a 4th line guy.  I'd rather we trade for a pure 4th line centre who has size and can kill penalties on a regular basis.

• Cheers 3