The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Pre-Season Jets @ Canucks Sunday, Oct. 3/21 - 4:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

OEL's intensity is what's missing in OJ's game.

+1 for that 4th line.

Also, seems like Green isn't terribly pleased with Pods so far. He could hit the AHL to start the season, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I feel like he needs to release his true game out on the ice. Hed way too timid so far. Maybe he's still scared to make a mistake and get benched for full periods Iike in the K. Hopefully he just needs to get his legs going. 

I think it's just Podz personality and we are seeing why he didn't get playing time in the KHL. He plays much too reserved and timid while he is getting used to the speed of the game. I think he'll get there but it's going to take some time for him to gain his confidence and pick up his pace.  Eventually in every league or tournament he's been in he produces but he just seems like a cautious player that need time to adjust

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

not at all what the gif was in reference to. look at the part of his post that I bolded.

Yup, I noticed that. I was going to include 2009cupchamps but I forgot to cc that person. My bad.

regards,  G.

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Too many kids want the next shinny toy. It's Jack Rathbone,  not Brian Leetch, and the position is defence, not run around and do whatever you want. Send him to Abby, where he belongs like a normal prospect who is almost ready to contribute. Learning how to play d as the guy will be far better than watching all year in the pressbox.

Agreed. He has looked really good at times, but so has Petan. Preseason leads to high offense players looking really good. I have nothing against Rathbone and do think he will be a great player for us. But right now I think OJ is more well rounded and a better fit for the team.

If Travis thinks otherwise I'll support Rathbone regardless.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

OEL's intensity is what's missing in OJ's game.

+1 for that 4th line.

Also, seems like Green isn't terribly pleased with Pods so far. He could hit the AHL to start the season, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I feel like he needs to release his true game out on the ice. Hed way too timid so far. Maybe he's still scared to make a mistake and get benched for full periods Iike in the K. Hopefully he just needs to get his legs going. 

I wouldn't have considered it going into the season but I actually think it might be best for him. Even if he's only there until Christmas, it's not like past years where we're sending him across the continent. Even last year in the KHL he was up and down between the minors and the K, where both teams were also in the same city.

I think he might end up only playing 40-50 games in the NHL this year which is not the worst thing for his development. I don't see any glaring deficiencies and he is solid defensively but it could serve him best in the long run to get bigger minutes in Abby and to polish off his skating some more.

I think Rathbone is in a similar boat. It will only help to have some real blue chip prospect depth at the top of the call up list, especially if it means not having to waive a guy like Gadjovich who I think has had a really strong showing this pre-season. 

• Cheers 1

Likes and dislikes.

There were no game sheets and with so many new players made things difficult and I have no idea who was on the Jets defence.

Podkolzin looked no better than many new faces.

OEL looked very good

Rathbone made two glaring errors but the actual errors were good moves only poorly executed

Petan looked really engaged, good skills, but don't hold your breath, other will catch up IMO

Bowey didn't look out of place.

Halak impressed me.

The team looked fast, certainly faster than the Jets, that might chnage as others catch up. They had Winnipeg on their backfoot for long periods

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I have liked Petan's camp so far. I liked that he was able to be very efficient in the draws and was able to play the PK as well. 

Makes me wonder what kind of role he could get if he continues to show well here in the preseason.

I like Petan too!! local boy with some decent skills and speed.. the knock on him is his size and lack of grit!

BUT.. if he can prove that he can help out in the PK... then he's gonna win the 4C spot over Highmore!!

On a separate note, I think Hunt will get the last D-man spot if Hamonic is confirmed to request a trade out of Canada.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

In one of his pressers Green reminded that the PP was successful when their 2nd unit also contributed.  Last season he commented that the 1st unit was at times staying on the ice for too long.  With more offensive options this season, they might be trying for 2 fairly balanced units.  

It's going to help a lot.   So many wingers and 3/4 legit options for the pp on the back end is going to change things.   Might take a month or two to gain traction, or maybe not.    But it will eventually and will be patient about it.   Going from 4 to 25th hurt us last year.   EP wasn't himself and then out which of course didn't help.     The Sedins just before BB were around there too and we climbed all the way to 9th that year.    One weapon.   We have so many now it's great! 

-OEL looks very good.  Reminds me of a 29 -30 YO Edler, that is a very good thing

-Pearson-Bo-Hogs that line should stay put, no reason to overthink that one.

-Rathbone looks like a gem, tons of potential, but he is not better than Juolevi right now for the role that is needed.

-Halak looks like a solid goalie,  Should keep us in the 20-25 games he gets

-MDP looks shaky in my view, still not ready for the NHL yet.

-Bowie looked pretty good.  Not sure where he fits in, but a solid spare.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

I like Petan too!! local boy with some decent skills and speed.. the knock on him is his size and lack of grit!

BUT.. if he can prove that he can help out in the PK... then he's gonna win the 4C spot over Highmore!!

On a separate note, I think Hunt will get the last D-man spot if Hamonic is confirmed to request a trade out of Canada.

Where did that come from?\

Is that the new rumour?

If so, he asks to be traded to western Canada, then asks to traded out of Canada

makes very little sense 

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Where did that come from?\

Is that the new rumour?

If so, he asks to be traded to western Canada, then asks to traded out of Canada

makes very little sense 

Dude... I just read it from some credible source on Twitter... I did not make that up nor would I be interested to!

It's pending confirmation but it's got to do with his vaxx status and he would prefer playing on a US team with limited travel to Canada... 

AND... if you do see him in a Nucks jersey again, then you can call my rumour came from a BS source! fair?

• Haha 1

Minnesota is close to Manitoba

to MIN: Hamonic

to VAN: Kulikov and 3rd (2020)

I know Kulikov is a LD, but he's a year younger than Hamonic, cheaper and he would also help out Podkolzin

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes

Kulikov - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Juolevi - Schenn

13 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Too many kids want the next shinny toy. It's Jack Rathbone,  not Brian Leetch, and the position is defence, not run around and do whatever you want. Send him to Abby, where he belongs like a normal prospect who is almost ready to contribute. Learning how to play d as the guy will be far better than watching all year in the pressbox.

The other side to that coin is players like Hughes and Rathbone can “run around” because their skating and skill allow them to. They can cover more area and have the speed and to bail out their teammates when they make a mistake. Someone like OJ wouldn’t be able to do that because his skating isn’t quite there yet that’s why his role is different.  Stay at home Defencemen don’t need to be fast just smart.   4 turnovers doesn’t look good on Rathbone but he’s still learning. Limit his icetime on the bottom 4 D and give him time.  Defence can be taught and he’ll learn a lot from Harmonic or Schenn.  

19 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Minnesota is close to Manitoba

to MIN: Hamonic

to VAN: Kulikov and 3rd (2020)

I know Kulikov is a LD, but he's a year younger than Hamonic, cheaper and he would also help out Podkolzin

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes

Kulikov - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Juolevi - Schenn

Kulikov is not going to help our D, especially in terms of playing as a shut down D. We need Hamonic back ASAP.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Kulikov is not going to help our D, especially in terms of playing as a shut down D. We need Hamonic back ASAP.

I think Kulikov is a shut-down Dman? He certainly doesn't produce much offensively. Has some size, does he have an edge to his game? I don't know much about him really. 

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Kulikov is a shut-down Dman? He certainly doesn't produce much offensively. Has some size, does he have an edge to his game? I don't know much about him really. 

I think Kulikov was considered by advanced analytics as the worst Dman in the league...worse than Gudbranson.  I'd probably stay away from that.

• Haha 1