The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Pandora papers' leak - a massive list of probable tax cheats

Dazzle

https://www.cbc.ca/news/pandora-papers-offshore-tax-avoidance-1.6197303

Some current PMs/leaders listed here: the Kenyan and Czech PMs, and King Abdullah II of Jordan. All corrupt people.

This is what the Kenyan PM said, according to the article.

"Every public servant's assets must be declared publicly so that people can question and ask — what is legitimate?" Kenyatta had told a BBC interviewer in 2018. The leaked records show he and his mother were beneficiaries of a secretive foundation in Panama, while other family members own five offshore companies with assets worth more than $38 million. Kenyatta and his family did not reply to ICIJ partner journalists' requests for comment.

(Journalist's note: He himself, however, seems to have been an exception.)

:rolleyes:

Also, Shakira is listed here.

I think these leaks are politically motivated though. To me, there's probably a lot of rich Americans that are dodging taxes, but for some reason isn't listed here or in other papers. We all pretty much know how corrupt Trump really is, so there are different kinds of corruption.

Seems to me that this story was meant to divert attention to other people, instead of something else. Nonetheless, this leak is still important to get rid of rich people who got rich from their own people (and in some cases, foreign aid)

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Gotta good laugh at CBC reporting this as "Tax Avoidance" when clearly it is "Tax Evasion" (i.e., a crime punishable by law).  Way to protect the hand that feeds you there, CBC. "Communist Broadcast Company".

Maybe its me, but I wouldn't go to a communist for tax advice.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Gotta good laugh at CBC reporting this as "Tax Avoidance" when clearly it is "Tax Evasion" (i.e., a crime punishable by law).  Way to protect the hand that feeds you there, CBC. "Communist Broadcast Company".

Is this somehow a 'dig' at a leftist news company? I take it you're not a fan of Trudeau either and you're someone on the 'right' (Conservative/capitalism) ;)There's a lot that can be derived simply from how you frame a sentence like you did above.

I don't see why there is a need to say CBC is communist - do you even know what communism is? I don't think you do. Why not "capitalism broadcast company?" It's far more applicable to this situation of tax evasion. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

The wealthy continue to hold on to their wealth by any means necessary while the average middle/lower class citizen pays tax out the ass, same old situation. 

Two sets of rules, and the wealthy aren't typically hammered with consequences the same way the average person is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

The wealthy continue to hold on to their wealth by any means necessary while the average middle/lower class citizen pays tax out the ass, same old situation. 

Two sets of rules, and the wealthy aren't typically hammered with consequences the same way the average person is. 

They also have a different mentality from the rest and that is pure greed..

The problem with the average middle/lower class citizen is most aren’t taught proper finance like in school, so essentially they’re left to fend for themselves either not working, working odd jobs, or crappy jobs with low pay. Most would say they are financially sound but are not. For example, Remember wasting money on the Canucks won’t help you if you can’t feed your family.. or self. 

One thing I noticed wealthy people do is they have multiple sources of income from various things (like rent) and they collect things lol.. 

I have been fortunate enough to say I am in the upper middle class bracket now through investing/other things (rental properties, etc) 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

^ bingo.

We get the system we deserve. If someone isn't active then complaining about a legal activity is a waste of time.

The system will never change because there are too many people and only a handful of successful out of that pool..

The middle class and lower class have been traditionally left to fend for themselves for scraps. 

Things will only get worse. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

The system will never change because there are too many people and only a handful of successful out of that pool..

The middle class and lower class have been traditionally left to fend for themselves for scraps. 

Things will only get worse. 

You have to be a disruptor, and get them to change.

Provided they let you think outside the box.

CBC isn't commie. A commie would be publications like Pravda.

Might as well say all of Canada is communist because we have welfare and socialized medicine.

What I find is interesting is in Sweden they pay up to 57% tax. Yet they seem to get a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to services.

Including Free Post Secondary Education. Swedish government departments seem to be run a lot like private industry where they

want to keep costs down and still provide good levels of service.

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You have to be a disruptor, and get them to change.

Provided they let you think outside the box.

CBC isn't commie. A commie would be publications like Pravda.

Might as well say all of Canada is communist because we have welfare and socialized medicine.

What I find is interesting is in Sweden they pay up to 57% tax. Yet they seem to get a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to services.

Including Free Post Secondary Education. Swedish government departments seem to be run a lot like private industry where they

want to keep costs down and still provide good levels of service.

Yeah tell that to Donald trump and the other billionaires out there that don’t pay their fair share of taxes.. 

Wait until there are trillionaires.. 

People have tried things like occupy Wall Street and like all protests with no clear leader or objective they failed. 

The problem with raising taxes to levels of 50 percent or above in countries with low rates is you see a max exodus or brain drain of wealthy people/companies.. there goes jobs and industry. Then the average person suffers. France is just recovering from that exact instance. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Yeah tell that to Donald trump and the other billionaires out there that don’t pay their fair share of taxes.. 

Wait until there are trillionaires.. 

People have tried things like occupy Wall Street and like all protests with no clear leader or objective they failed. 

The problem with raising taxes to levels of 50 percent or above in countries with low rates is you see a max exodus or brain drain of wealthy people/companies.. there goes jobs and industry. Then the average person suffers. France is just recovering from that exact instance. 

Yet the Nordic countries don't seem to be suffering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet the Nordic countries don't seem to be suffering.

The Nordic countries have traditionally known to have high taxes… that is also why you don’t hear about any other major advancement or industry from there other than IKEA.. lol

Edited by drummer4now

1 hour ago, drummer4now said:

They also have a different mentality from the rest and that is pure greed..

The problem with the average middle/lower class citizen is most aren’t taught proper finance like in school, so essentially they’re left to fend for themselves either not working, working odd jobs, or crappy jobs with low pay. Most would say they are financially sound but are not. For example, Remember wasting money on the Canucks won’t help you if you can’t feed your family.. or self. 

One thing I noticed wealthy people do is they have multiple sources of income from various things (like rent) and they collect things lol.. 

I have been fortunate enough to say I am in the upper middle class bracket now through investing/other things (rental properties, etc) 

You are right here. The rich do have a different mentality.  It's about capital preservation and staying wealthy generation over generation.  They teach their kids how to manage their money and they don't discuss these things outside of the family.  They also have the wherewithal to pay sharp accountants and lawyers to structure their finances to their advantage within the tax laws.

I'm not commenting on corruption but corruption isn't always the reason why people become wealthy.  Of course there is no reason why people can't learn how to manage their money well and if the knowledge isn't being passed down within the family it should be taught in school.  There are plenty of good books out there.  The fact is, most people can't be bothered to learn on their own.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Money talks, bull$&!# walks!