The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

There could be other factors like “team fit”.  When it comes to borderline bottom 6 players, it doesn’t take much to let them go. There may be other attributes the coaching team prefers with big Mac. This is Green’s team. He is the coach for a reason. Have some faith for gods sakes.

The problem is the reason isn't because he can be trusted to properly evaluate talent.  This isn't the first time his inability to do so has caused a problem and frankly there's no excuse for his continued employment.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

OJ had injury issues and it takes longer for D men to develop. He gets a wee bit extra slack. This is basically his last year of show us what you got or your done, hence the 1 year contract.

Most same the same about power forwards taking extra time. And gads did show us in the ahl last season,  he  never got a chance in the nhl. 

Here they rather go with recycled plugs than give there own a legit chance. 
hope he gets the opportunity in SJS that he was never given here. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I feel bad for Macewan. 
I’m blaming Green’s love for Mac on Gads getting waived.  
If Mac isn’t a total monster that is money in front of the net, I’m pooping on him this year. 

Mac was so so last year.  This camp so far he's been a non factor.  Why throw away a guy with upside like Gadjovich to keep a guy who has plateaued in Mac?

I don't mind Mac but i would have been less upset if we lost him than Gadj. Why? Simple.  Gadjovich is still developing.

• Cheers 4

Just now, combover said:

Most same the same about power forwards taking extra time. And gads did show us in the ahl last season,  he  never got a chance in the nhl. 

Here they rather go with recycled plugs than give there own a legit chance. 
hope he gets the opportunity in SJS that he was never given here. 

I find those development camps so funny now.

We have no loyalty to our own prospects. Seems like we cast them aside at the first chance of a waiver wire pickup or AHL star becomes available.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I find those development camps so funny now.

We have no loyalty to our own prospects. Seems like we cast them aside at the first chance of a waiver wire pickup or AHL star becomes available.

It's not a good look for our organization.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is the reason isn't because he can be trusted to properly evaluate talent.  This isn't the first time his inability to do so has caused a problem and frankly there's no excuse for his continued employment.

Green’s team cuts in the past pre-seasons have never come back to bite us. You can’t say that.

If he fails to make the playoffs this year, you will get your wish. Otherwise, leave the evaluations to the experts….

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Green’s team cuts in the past pre-seasons have never come back to bite us. You can’t say that.

If he fails to make the playoffs this year, you will get your wish. Otherwise, leave the evaluations to the experts….

However, his ability to evaluate players sure has.  This is the same guy that kept icing a useless Player Name, employed Baumgartner, and refused to play OJ when he was playing well and clearly needed more minutes.  Green is simply not capable of evaluating performance.  I agree we should leave this to experts, which necessitates replacing Green with a coach who won't destroy the team with his poor decisions.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

However, his ability to evaluate players sure has.  This is the same guy that kept icing a useless Player Name, employed Baumgartner, and refused to play OJ when he was playing well and clearly needed more minutes.  Green is simply not capable of evaluating performance.  I agree we should leave this to experts, which necessitates replacing Green with a coach who won't destroy the team with his poor decisions.

Back on your old horse, aren't you?

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Put it this way.

When Shinkaruk was traded I never blinked an eye. Thought Granlund would be alright. Fizzled into nothing 

Corrado on waivers. Thought meh as well.

Gaudette traded for Highmore. Little upset at first but realized pretty Meh again.

Dahlen traded. Kid must be whiney.

Those are off the top of my head

First time I thought of losing a player like this a huge mistake. That was today. He’s exactly what this team needed in the bottom 6. Couldn’t have given him a couple games then sent him down? 

I'm disappointed too. Had high hopes for Gadj. I'm going to chalk this up to unfortunate timing and a potential mistake rather than getting worked up about it.

Unless or until Gadj really breaks out with SJ, no sense in melting down until it actually becomes a mistake. 

Also too ... I think the disaster of last year and all of the changes, signings this offseason, the increased competition, impacted his momentum and opportunity. 

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Not gonna lie guys, I'm extremely gadjitated to hear this news!

We need physical players who can mix it up a bit.  Some snarl.  I felt like the had potential to offer some of that.

Benning needs better AGMs. Gear has been killing it on contracts. The team needs an AGM with an eye on the future... maybe the Sedins?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nothing of which pertains to pre-season cuts.

In reference to what you said. Did you not think that useless Player Name was being played for hopes of being traded to the Coyotes? That trade was 2 years in the making. Useless Player Name would have been harder to unload if he was completely off the ice. 

As for OJ, he was hit real hard with injuries and later with Covid. How do you forget that?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Nothing of which pertains to pre-season cuts.

In reference to what you said. Did you not think that useless Player Name was being played for hopes of being traded to the Coyotes? That trade was 2 years in the making. Useless Player Name would have been harder to unload if he was completely off the ice. 

As for OJ, he was hit real hard with injuries and later with Covid. How do you forget that?

He was healthy at the beginning of last year and Green still wouldn't play him.  The bottom line is that Green has some serious issues accurately judging performance, and his incompetence cost us a very useful player in favour of keeping some AHL pylons.  This kind of blunder simply isn't acceptable in any industry.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm disappointed too. Had high hopes for Gadj. I'm going to chalk this up to unfortunate timing and a potential mistake rather than getting worked up about it.

Unless or until Gadj really breaks out with SJ, no sense in melting down until it actually becomes a mistake. 

Also too ... I think the disaster of last year and all of the changes, signings this offseason, the increased competition, impacted his momentum and opportunity. 

You’re right man. It’s a tough one. I wish I didn’t get so worked up. I just can’t make sense of it.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that San Jose is working on a deal for Eichel.

My question is.... can they turn around and flip him as part of a deal?

Sure. A waiver wire pick up thrown in as a piece for an elite young centreman. Haha.

No...the answer is no.

Well, I find this news to be a bit of a disappointment. This move uses up a lot of the goodwill I fell towards this franchise.

I suppose that the team didn't find Gadjovich as much of an interesting prospect as some others, including me. Perhaps the team felt that they could sneak Gadjovich through waivers, kind of like how they did with Markstrom a few years back.

Potentially, there is the chance that the Canucks might be able to reclaim Gadjovich should the Sharks waive him. If this scenario arises, might there be some kind of deal in place where the Sharks have claimed Gadjovich as part of a deal where they get other assets in return for sheltering Gadjovich from waivers?

Maybe not...

regards,  G.

58 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Mac was so so last year.  This camp so far he's been a non factor.  Why throw away a guy with upside like Gadjovich to keep a guy who has plateaued in Mac?

I don't mind Mac but i would have been less upset if we lost him than Gadj. Why? Simple.  Gadjovich is still developing.

Agreed.   Mac has always left something to be desired.  
He has been Meh his whole career, and bad this camp. 
Much rather would have kept Gads

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm not overly happy that Gadjovich got claimed but not overly upset either by it.

I remember when I got really upset when we lossed Frankie Corrado but largely became inconsequential in the long run. I love Gads but this isn't the end of the world.

Wait till we trade Boeser this offseason when he asks for 10M