The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure who’s dumber for buying the BS, Benning for believing Green when he’s says they’re moving in the right direction, or ownership for listening to Benning when he defends his coach.

I'm not sure we'll ever get to the bottom of that mystery - but to many of us who have been around longer than most, one thing that was never a mystery was that we knew from the very outset when green took over from Uncle Willy, that green was nothing more than another interim coach plunked in during the inevitable rebuild (that Jimbo kept delaying) and offered ZERO possibility of elevating the team to cup contender.   

But like you said, the real mystery is how the heck he's managed to stay around for so long after so many years of dismal results with not the faintest sign of improvement to this team despite an almost entirely new lineup from when he got here.......and they actually renewed his contract last year!  Go Figure ????

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

Green mistakes this season:

1. Screwing up pre-season by not having our regular lineup play preseason games for multiple game like seattle krakens so the team can gel quicker

2. Not fixing PK or PP by changing it up and having a different style

3. Taking Garland off of Horvat line with no reason so thats why we can barely score 1 goal. I mean why take Garland who was our leading scorer and put him on 3rd line? 

4. Lack of practicing the system and having stable lines. He keeps shuffling lines every game so no line is connecting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Well.  This is getting real.   Five games is always the threshold i figured Aquaman would stomach this year, as in a losing streak.   Didn't think it would happen this quickly and maybe it won't.   The players pretty much now have Greens balls in a vice, and JB's too to a certain degree,  because once he plays that card, it's his last joker/bluff or whatever it may become.  

For now i'm going to go unlock the shed.   Not ready to get the pitchfork out yet,  but going to carve Gadjovich's and OJs name into it just in case.  Just hope IF things go there, that it's the end of the "Burke/Nonis" type era as in we are very close in personnel, and the gifts JB has created are enough to make this team work in the near future.   

image.gif

• Like 1

Mr. Jeff Paterson believes if they lose all of these home games , Green is out for sure.

But what if they just win one ? 

Green is just a cheap homegrown coach. Easily expendable. It's not like we have Babcock on a 6 million/yr salary. That would be different. I wouldn't support a firing in that case 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Green mistakes this season:

1. Screwing up pre-season by not having our regular lineup play preseason games for multiple game like seattle krakens so the team can gel quicker

2. Not fixing PK or PP by changing it up and having a different style

3. Taking Garland off of Horvat line with no reason so thats why we can barely score 1 goal. I mean why take Garland who was our leading scorer and put him on 3rd line? 

4. Lack of practicing the system and having stable lines. He keeps shuffling lines every game so no line is connecting.

Yup.

I thought we had 5-6 new players but my friend told me we had 13-14 new players.   That's like half the team that needs to learn a new system and gel with teammates. 

Green wasted training camp and the preseason auditioning 3rd/4th liners.

SMH.

No chemistry as described by the media (Sportsnet radio hosts after the game).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I don’t know why Green keeps benching Garland ,I don’t see the problem. After the Detroit game he made a comment that “Garland is a Feisty skilled player when he keeps his feet moving

that comment leads me to think green thinks Garland has lazy tendencies. 

I really don’t see it though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm pretty sure he's referring trade those picks away again back when they traded not the picks we have so i have no idea what you are referring to by saying no the pick is gonna be a top 3 pick lol.. pretty sure he's not implying trade the current 1st round pick

That’s exactly what I was saying. Trade the pick if he can pull off another trade like Miller or Garland and OEL. 

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Mr. Jeff Paterson believes if they lose all of these home games , Green is out for sure.

But what if they just win one ? 

Green is just a cheap homegrown coach. Easily expendable. It's not like we have Babcock on a 6 million/yr salary. That would be different. I wouldn't support a firing in that case 

If it takes all the home games im going to cry inside.

• Cheers 1

Chemistry has always been a big thing for me with Greens coaching ever since that season when Vegas joined the league.  They had a pack of 3rd liners, disciplined, motivated and knew how to get the puck to each other in all 3 zones. We have a bunch of more skill players who don't seem to know where each other are or how to support the puck. Vegas absolutely destroyed us that season, and pretty have since.  Tho i know they have added a lot of skill and salary since then. 

I'm seeing the same thing in every game again this season. Mini, Phili, EDM, All trapped us in our zone for extended periods, breaking up outlet plays again and again, and retrieved the puck with ease on our offensive plays, despite players like Hogz, Horvat, Garland, Miller, all looking strong along the boards. 

Always hated the Green Line blender. I know sometimes it can help inject some life into a flat game - but he deploys it constantly. Like one bad shift and its the switch-r-roo again. Now I'm no pro-athlete, far from it, but i've played team sports constantly for 30+ years and there's something, well a lot actually,  to be said for having that chemistry to know where your team mates are and what they are likely to do.  

We have a few new faces sure - but like many here have pointed out we squandered pre-season on the 'plug auditions' while our divisional rivals were building chemistry and confidence feasting on our AHL lines. That's on the coaching - for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

I don’t know why Green keeps benching Garland ,I don’t see the problem. After the Detroit game he made a comment that “Garland is a Feisty skilled player when he keeps his feet moving

that comment leads me to think green thinks Garland has lazy tendencies. 

I really don’t see it though. 

There’s a lot green apparently sees that we don’t, I think he’s had to many blows to the head, no one in their right mind would treat arguably the Canucks best player like that

• Like 1

We are already into next season mode.

It's time to look at our lottery draft 2022 and which position to use our lottery pick on

Also do we have current upcoming   ufa assets that will be unlikely to re sign and let's move them on to help with the next rebuild

Look I'm a die hard canucks fan and will watch and cheer them no matter what. But we need to face reality that this current team is in year 2 now of its tanking with no signs it will end.  I'm sure the players here now will improve a bit as the season  moves on ... but given that some ufa`s won't want to stay it means we face an on the fly partial rebuild in 

a couple, of years anyway

All I'm saying is if the owners are keeping this coaching staff then let's start that partial rebuild now so we can a head start and maybe in a few years have a playoff ready team