The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

4 hours ago, tas said:

green laughed out loud in a reporter's face (well, over zoom) last year when asked if macewen might get a shot at center when the team was beaten up down the middle. 

lammikko will be fine. macewen isn't an nhl player. 

That is terribly unprofessional on Green's part. No surprise that Macewen wasn't going to get more of a shot on Green's team.

Horrific coach.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:56 AM, aGENT said:

Pearson and Horvat also have solid chemistry.

And as loath as some might be too admit it, Pearson being a solid defensive presence likely also allows Horvat to worry a bit less about his own defensive coverage and create more offensively, as he knows he has reliable defensive coverage with Tanner.

There's nothing wrong with having a player with some 'little things' on Horvat's line, streaky offense or otherwise. Adding one of Hoglander or Garland there should only make them more potent of a match up/counter punch line.

Just want to throw out that Pearson is a proven quantity on a team with a significant roster turn over.  Add a couple of injuries, having a solid but not super flashy line to stabilize the game with Horvat at center makes great sense.  Pearson has a decent net presence and plays a reliable game.  He is a streaky scorer, but doesn’t take stupid penalties or give up a ton of turn overs.  

Hoglander’s game is a whole other level beyond Pearson’s, but he is still inconsistent at times.  I would think Podz will be a similar player.  

Injuries, chemistry and production will be forcing Green to adjust all season long.  

The forwards are not a source of concern, the defence is going to need more time to fully gel.  I would expect the GA to drop around 20 games in, provided no significant injuries… knocking on wood… as the whole mix is new. 

Both Hughes and OEL will be expected to be better without the puck.  Let’s hope both have been focusing on that… 

with a big shift of players, after a hard season like last year, I kinda hope for an early long road trip to get kinks worked out.  

Full on fire wagon hockey and Demko is our only hope, but, no there is another… 

Clarke is like a ‘Yoda’ for goalies.. we may need that… 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I was really impressed with Lammikko against the oilers today. I know it’s just one game, but I’m feeling very encouraged by this trade now. 

I was expecting solid d-side from him but his line looked good in the ozone as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

So Florida has their season opener tonight and OJ apparently isn’t in their lineup (yet) or even a healthy scratch.

Appears to currently be listed as “injured.”

Hmm… :huh:

It’s interesting. The Panthers released an opening 23 man roster earlier that included Juolevi, but after Nutivaara (injured in practice IIRC) was moved to IR, they called up both Kiersted and Priskie (two AHL Dmen)

And Kiersted is expected to play 3LD tonight, in place of Nutivaara.

Unless Juolevi has actually been shifted to IR for some reason, they’d have 24 active roster players (by my count), which isn’t allowed. 

So I guess OJ isn’t currently on the active roster, despite what’s been released officially?

Maybe it’s something with Covid protocols? And they’re just waiting on negative test results?

Or Juolevi had some delays actually getting to Florida?

Otherwise, you have to wonder why he’s gone from officially listed on the 23 man roster, to being replaced on the active roster by an AHL call-up:

Just makes me wonder if there’s something else going on. Like maybe OJ picked up an injury. Or possibly the Panthers “found” one, and are setting things up for an conditioning loan, to stash him in the AHL for a little while?

It’s probably nothing. Most likely just some delay, but it’s definitely curious, and nothing is getting reported on OJ’s current roster status.

Anyway, this is what their roster looks like in the most recent pregame reports I’ve seen today:

23 Carter Verhaeghe // 16 Sasha Barkov // 13 Sam Reinhart

11 Jonathan Huberdeau // 9 Sam Bennett // 74 Owen Tippett

77 Frank Vatrano // 15 Anton Lundell // 70 Patric Hornqvist

94 Ryan Lomberg // 19 Joe Thornton // 10 Anthony Duclair

52 MacKenzie Weegar // 5 Aaron Ekblad

42 Gus Forsling // 7 Radko Gudas

8 Matt Kiersted  // 62 Brandon Montour

72 Sergei Bobrovsky

30 Spencer Knight

Scratched: Eetu Luostarinen, Chase Priskie, Mason Marchment

Injured: Noel Acciari, Markus Nutivaara, Kevin Connauton, Olli Juolevi

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So Florida has their season opener tonight and OJ apparently isn’t in their lineup (yet) or even a healthy scratch.

Appears to currently be listed as “injured.”

Hmm… :huh:

It’s interesting. The Panthers released an opening 23 man roster earlier that included Juolevi, but after Nutivaara (injured in practice IIRC) was moved to IR, they called up both Kiersted and Priskie (two AHL Dmen)

And Kiersted is expected to play 3LD tonight, in place of Nutivaara.

Unless Juolevi has actually been shifted to IR for some reason, they’d have 24 active roster players (by my count), which isn’t allowed. 

So I guess OJ isn’t currently on the active roster, despite what’s been released officially?

Maybe it’s something with Covid protocols? And they’re just waiting on negative test results?

Or Juolevi had some delays actually getting to Florida?

Otherwise, you have to wonder why he’s gone from officially listed on the 23 man roster, to being replaced on the active roster by an AHL call-up:

Just makes me wonder if there’s something else going on. Like maybe OJ picked up an injury. Or possibly the Panthers “found” one, and are setting things up for an conditioning loan, to stash him in the AHL for a little while?

It’s probably nothing. Most likely just some delay, but it’s definitely curious, and nothing is getting reported on OJ’s current roster status.

Anyway, this is what their roster looks like in the most recent pregame reports I’ve seen today:

23 Carter Verhaeghe // 16 Sasha Barkov // 13 Sam Reinhart

11 Jonathan Huberdeau // 9 Sam Bennett // 74 Owen Tippett

77 Frank Vatrano // 15 Anton Lundell // 70 Patric Hornqvist

94 Ryan Lomberg // 19 Joe Thornton // 10 Anthony Duclair

52 MacKenzie Weegar // 5 Aaron Ekblad

42 Gus Forsling // 7 Radko Gudas

8 Matt Kiersted  // 62 Brandon Montour

72 Sergei Bobrovsky

30 Spencer Knight

Scratched: Eetu Luostarinen, Chase Priskie, Mason Marchment

Injured: Noel Acciari, Markus Nutivaara, Kevin Connauton, Olli Juolevi

I think this same thing happened with both Gadj and MacEwan. I believe it related to a holdup with their work visas.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think this same thing happened with both Gadj and MacEwan. I believe it related to a holdup with their work visas.

Probably. And just another example of the difference between the Florida and Vancouver fanbase and media. If it was a player coming here, we’d already have several articles (and about a hundred tweets) on the visa issues (if that’s indeed the reason) and why there’s a delay. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably. And just another example of the difference between the Florida and Vancouver fanbase and media. If it was a player coming here, we’d already have several articles (and about a hundred tweets) on the visa issues (if that’s indeed the reason) and why there’s a delay. :lol:

Haha true

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well I mean, we do have threads where we write about players visa issues even though they're not actually with our team anymore...

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I wonder if we have the Florida fan beat already with the few posts here ::D

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Most likely. Gadjovich was skating with Abbotsford still on Monday, several days after being claimed by San Jose.

Looks like Olli has now joined the Panthers team. 

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/notebook-duclair-moves-up-juolevi-joins-practice/c-326975956

Hope it works out for him. I like the new guy we got in Lammikko, but still wish we didn't make this trade yet and kept Olli. I know it may be a bust, but just feels like he hasn't gotten enough playing time for us to know yet. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Looks like Olli has now joined the Panthers team. 

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/notebook-duclair-moves-up-juolevi-joins-practice/c-326975956

Hope it works out for him. I like the new guy we got in Lammikko, but still wish we didn't make this trade yet and kept Olli. I know it may be a bust, but just feels like he hasn't gotten enough playing time for us to know yet. 

"It was a good skate today, high-pace," Juolevi said. "It's a really good team here. I'm just excited to be a part of this team and get to know everybody. … It's a really good chance. I'm really happy to be here. This feels like a really good place to play hockey right now."

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

"It was a good skate today, high-pace," Juolevi said. "It's a really good team here. I'm just excited to be a part of this team and get to know everybody. … It's a really good chance. I'm really happy to be here. This feels like a really good place to play hockey right now."

Quennville is a no nonsense coach.

Im guessing we’ll find out pretty quickly if it was Olli that was the problem or our coaching staff.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The one year it looks like Olli could make our bottom 6 and get some decent minutes he’s shipped out. This trade feels like it was probably 2-3 months too early. Should have given the kid a chance to really sink or swim.

GMJB seems to be very impatient these days, which I guess given all the losing he should be.

I just think back to the days when we gave so many scrubs opportunities, now we’re just dumping our own drafted players left and right.

This team could have afforded a wait and see approach with both Juolevi and Gadjovich you’re right. We’d be in the same position two months from now. I don’t think guys like Dowling, Petan, or Hunt are the difference between us winning or losing…

• Like 2