The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini on Sportsnet 650

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Actually, yeah. Trolling!

I heard about the fire GMJB “protest”, but it’s actually true that someone was flying something around as well?

Yeah some goofball started a Go Fund Me to raise money for a Fire Benning banner flown around. Might of did it twice, can’t remember 

• Vintage 2

The banner was a bit ridiculous, but just like the "protest", it was a few very sad individuals and not indicative of the fanbase as a whole. Just like the "Canucks twitter" meme. Which if we're being honest, shouldn't be any sort of indictment on Canucks fans because you can't be the most mentally healthy person if you're on Twitter at all.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IRR said:

Great interview! Totally nailed it on a few points...no class is right!! As i've said before, the media and some of this fan base aren't fans, just negative, hateful, ignorant, entitled & immature people that have nothing better to do than attack this team and those that work / play for it. Sad really! 

Exactly.  

There's a small, but vocal segment of our fanbase that is actively cheering for the Canucks to fail just so that their hate of Jim Benning can be vindicated.  

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly.  

There's a small, but vocal segment of our fanbase that is actively cheering for the Canucks to fail just so that their hate of Jim Benning can be vindicated.  

100%! There are a few, but Taj1944 & Uncle Laleet stand out...nothing but hate for Benning and attacking this team at every opportunity. Sadly, the media and some fans eat up everything they say / do. You know they're not fans because they're never positive or cheering for the team to succeed or do well and they can't even give praise or credit where credit is do. Not everything the team does is a f up or negative no matter what they think or say. Sadly, there is a few on here just like that. 

I can only speak for myself, but i'm excited about this team and for this season!!!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Francesco just confirmed that he's of the philosophy of "As long we get in, anything can happen..."  He hasn't learned a thing. Its not getting into the playoffs by any means necessary, ( & shedding picks) that is important. Living by day to day. Its about getting into he playoffs because the team has naturally grown into their roles, under a good system, until they are elite enough through player development and acquisitions who already have played enough games with the new team to be a sustained level of respected contender by other teams, every season.

We'll see if this gamble works.  Right now its a bit rag tag. A lot of new players. IMO its going to take a little time to gel.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I like hearing that ownership is committed to a particular rebuilding path. Teams that change GMs too quickly tend not to go too far.

Honestly, owners shouldn't hire a GM if they aren't on board with the vision presented during the interview. Owners might disagree when a shift in direction is suggested by the GM (like when Gillis wanted to start a rebuild) but only execution is the question otherwise. If they don't like a GM's execution early on, that's the owner's fault for hiring them.