The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini on Sportsnet 650

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

47 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Wow Aquilini really making his support for Benning known here - "I'm backing Jim so if you want to diss anyone diss me. Jim and his team are working hard to put the best team on the ice." 

Hope Benning gets it right. 

Surprised at so much support for a man who's been the GM of this team for 8 years now and counting. 

I like what Benning has done this summer, not a fan of some of his moves before. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Surprised at so much support for a man who's been the GM of this team for 8 years now and counting. 

I like what Benning has done this summer, not a fan of some of his moves before. 

Looking back it feels like a planned process.

1st year was about going all in to try to give the Sedins one last shot at the cup. And if I’m being honest whatever we had to give up to do that was worth it for two of the best NHL players ever to get another crack. They deserve the Stanley Cup. They’ve given so much to us as Canucks fans it felt right to do so for them.

Next 2-3 years we had no prospects and no set roster, trading and inserting placeholders in and out of the lineup. Whoever we could get to sign with us regardless of NHL ability. It wasn’t so much a team, but a mishmash of AHL’ers and vets.

Then things start to change.

The last 2-3 years our draft picks are starting to enter the NHL and regulars are starting to solidify their spot. We start having assets we can trade for upgrades in positional needs that other teams actually want. Holes start to get plugged and the Canucks continue improving.

Rebuilds take a minimum of 5 years to do, so if you take out the Sedins last shot year and the COVID all hell breaks loose year you get about 6 years to build this core. It’s really not that bad of a job done overall. JB like all GM’s has made mistakes, but none have irreparably harmed our team.

These next few years are the really fun ones for us fans. It’s when a rebuilt core starts to gel and compete hard in the regular season and playoffs. We have a great goalie and capable backup, a complete top 6, a good/decent bottom 6 and a good top 4 D. As long as we stay healthy we’re going to be a team to watch every season for a potential run at lord Stanley.

We’re right there now with the talent on our roster, just need to have some years playing together to build chemistry between the lines to really threaten for the finals and the ultimate end goal of winning a cup.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

3 hours ago, combover said:

And teams that stick one that continuously fails don’t go anywhere. Kevin lowe. 

but we've already surpassed Lowe. Since the Linden split, the team has been going the right way on hone grown prospects. We should have over 10 players in the lineup next year that we drafted and developed.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

but we've already surpassed Lowe. Since the Linden split, the team has been going the right way on hone grown prospects. We should have over 10 players in the lineup next year that we drafted and developed.

Yeah, shoulda cut ties with Linden earlier so we could have Glass instead of Pettersson :bigblush:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Yeah, shoulda cut ties with Linden earlier so we could have Glass instead of Pettersson :bigblush:

good one. 

I'm not slamming Linden. But there was something off with the combo of he and Jim together. Add to that a doomed from the start re-jiggy and yeah, something had to give. 

Not a supporter of Benning whatsoever but I think Aquilini did a good job of backing his guy here.

Looks good on the owner and organization, which probably matters when/if he decides to look for the next GM.

I think he made it clear that we need to be making the playoffs and I would say the majority of fans are in the same boat expectations wise. Not everyone is going to agree on the way we got here but I think most will agree that it's time to push and if we don't, changes need to be made.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Not a supporter of Benning whatsoever but I think Aquilini did a good job of backing his guy here.

Looks good on the owner and organization, which probably matters when/if he decides to look for the next GM.

I think he made it clear that we need to be making the playoffs and I would say the majority of fans are in the same boat expectations wise. Not everyone is going to agree on the way we got here but I think most will agree that it's time to push and if we don't, changes need to be made.

yeah I think you'd get support on that 9/10 times here. I would think likely a mid-season coaching change is the most likely, but Green coached a good game last night so we don't need to rush into that. 

I thought FA was a bit defensive and made a lot of excuses.  "It's tough...Covid was tough...etc", like it wasn't for every team.  He didn't say the goal was to win the Stanley Cup...but said he'd be disappointed if we didn't make the playoffs.  He sounded quite in awe of Benning and the "analysis" he does.  Also, he slammed the fire Jim banner (fair enough) but , he was not asked to address the issue:  many fans are not happy with the job JB has done and a lot of people have called for change.  Does he care what the fans think?  He never mentioned "our fans" once I don't recall.     

As I mentioned previously J.B. is unlikely to be the G.M. who wins the Cup with the Canucks. Most teams have to switch G.M.'s couple of times before eventually getting it done. The G.M. who drafted the core players is unlikely to be the one who sticks around long enough to win. 

J.B. is an average NHL G.M. which means that he is very intelligent and capable. Average G.M.'s are not easy to replace. By definition it is very difficult to find exceptional G.M.'s available for hire. Most teams should be thankful that their G.M.'s are average rather than incompetent. Do you need an exceptional G.M. to win the Cup? Nope. Will an exceptional G.M. guarantee a Stanley Cup win? Nope. 

Edited by Maddogy

14 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Glad owner Frank called out those plane banner folks for the losers they are. 

Not a surprise that banner took off from "Pick-up Truck & Fly country" way out in Pitt Meadows - out in the Valley - beyond the edge of the civilized city limits. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

yeah I think you'd get support on that 9/10 times here. I would think likely a mid-season coaching change is the most likely, but Green coached a good game last night so we don't need to rush into that. 

A too many men penalty, defensive breakdowns, and letting Pearson shoot in the SO instead of Hoglander is good?