The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19th, 2021 | SNP, 4:00PM PT

Rate this topic

-SN-

Coach Green this morning on 650:

Lammikko, Highmore & Dickinson - trusted, heavy line.  

D - has the structure changed?   "overall team game has been solid...worked on it a lot in camp/new personnel.  Team d isn't just about d or about structure...it's a commitment to do it (from forwards & d).  If you don't have the buy in...." 

Brock? - not sure yet.  Still on the ice...he'll talk to the trainers when he gets off.  Hoping he is (in the line up).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Conscience said:

Lol it doesn't matter which side his ice time is on, left or right its still too much and not a recipe for success in a long season and hopefully playoffs. 

Yeah better make sure he's rested so we miss the playoffs and he's not too fatigued to work on his golf game over the long off-season. 

We're not Tampa, we can't cruise through the regular season at half speed and then just waltz through the playoffs. We pretty much need to be firing at all cylinders to have a chance.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Would like to see Schenn play and get some PK time, we can't keep playing Hughes 29 minutes a night...

This is a surprisingly big game for so early in the season, don't want to be embarrassed by what should be a terrible team, and want to keep our heads over 0.500 because we've learnt it's so hard to crawl back from going under. This road trip should be a gift of average teams so we really need to bag some easy points here. 

Our offence has been clicking nicely, even against Detroit we should have scored more, but I worry about our defence and mainly our PK which is at around 50%. One of the worst PK and worst faceoff % in the league which is a shock, time to turn these ugly stats around.

5-0 Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

What I find sad is their arena was packed compared to the Sens, Sabres, Panthers, and the Cali teams. They have much better fans then  they are given credit for.

The Sens honestly don't deserve a team, I don't care if their owner is a douche,  9000 fans for a home opener is pathetic,  even worse for a Canadian team and this has been an issue for years now.

Worst fan fanbase in Canada imo.

I think you might be a bit harsh here.

he Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators will be able to open their rinks to 50 per cent capacity after the Ontario government increased limits for crowds on Friday.

Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, said indoor venues can now increase capacity to 50 per cent or 10,000 people -- whichever is less.

• Cheers 1

Heaps of gratitude for the GDT! Well done and it's nice to close off that last thread with fresh optimism.

Here's hoping the team takes a unity step forward. I like what I see but still see a work in progress given the lack of experience together. GCG

In particular I like how the D-men are being aggressive along the boards pretty much all the way up and down the ice (well from our faceoff circle to theirs, anyway).

As long as the forwards do their job and support through the middle, it works, which the forwards have been doing thus far, at least compared to last year.

It's the way to go in the new NHL. Sometimes you will get burned being too aggressive by good players/plays on the opposition but it's better than giving the other team time and space consistently (perhaps unless your team is specially built to "protect the house" which we are not).

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

On 10/18/2021 at 9:19 AM, -SN- said:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS (1-1-1) @ BUFFALO SABRES (2-0-0)

The 'Nucks face off against an undefeated team, the powerhouse Buffalo Sabres, also known as the Buffalo Random Player Name Generators. 

image.pngimage.png

The beautiful arena:

image.png

Estimated attendance: 16

image.png

image.png

image.png

VS

image.png

image.png

image.png

Previous Highlights vs Detroit

Why is Lammiko playing ahead of Dickinson as far as our center depth goes?  

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

What I find sad is their arena was packed compared to the Sens, Sabres, Panthers, and the Cali teams. They have much better fans then  they are given credit for.

The Sens honestly don't deserve a team, I don't care if their owner is a douche,  9000 fans for a home opener is pathetic,  even worse for a Canadian team and this has been an issue for years now.

Worst fan fanbase in Canada imo.

Yes, not many fans in Kanata, too bad the team botched it recent attempt to bring the rink to the people in Ottawa. I can drive to Montreal in about the same amount of time. Perhaps a new home in Quebec City...

17 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

he Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators will be able to open their rinks to 50 per cent capacity after the Ontario government increased limits for crowds on Friday.

Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, said indoor venues can now increase capacity to 50 per cent or 10,000 people -- whichever is less.

what's the date on that article?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-senators-raptors-full-capacity-home-games/

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

To counter that article (from oct 8th):

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/ontario-full-capacity-arenas-1.6205752

Raptors, Maple Leafs, Senators cleared by province to host full-capacity crowds

Seems Vancouver is the only team without full capacity now

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Cheers 1

See some comments on Hughes ice time.

Couple things from me. I was not happy with it last year after covid. I felt Quinn looked tired and covid recovery would have been a contributing factor. Also he was not out in a position to be successful.

This year looks much different to me. He’s surrounded by better structure it seems. Lots of Elite defencemen play the kinda minutes Quinn has played and he looks sharp. If giving him an optional skate now an then helps him play those minutes effectively I see it nothing but wrong with it at all

• Thanks 1