The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I’m looking more at the records of the teams we’ve played / lost to, and thinking this road trip had more difficult teams than first anticipated.

Canucks will come around. The Hawks and Kraken will be just what the doctor ordered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Slegr said:

I’m looking more at the records of the teams we’ve played / lost to, and thinking this road trip had more difficult teams than first anticipated.

Canucks will come around. The Hawks and Kraken will be just what the doctor ordered.

Hopefully. 

That's what we thought about Det and Buffalo lol

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hopefully. 

That's what we thought about Det and Buffalo lol

Canuck luck means there is a good possibility we lose both games, especially if those teams start their back up goalies, against us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

They've never skated together in pre-season.  It’s only in the few practices since the start of the season as healthy scratches.   

Green simply decided to replace Burroughs with Schenn.  The two skated a fair bit together at camp.  Hunt-Myers also spent time together at camp once Juolevi fell out of favour.

you don't think recency matters?

regardless, let's say my reason is wrong, and my other reasons are wrong, whatever. it makes no difference. the point of having depth is to use it, and it's only advantageous to rotate guys through. keeps guys fresh, and keeps guys from getting rusty. gives the coaching staff the ability to have teaching moments by saying, hey, take a night or two off and watch the game from the press box, and keep an eye out for a, b and c. it makes the team stronger and deeper. it keeps everyone involved, bought in, pulling in the same direction. 

there has been zero indication that the coaches are unhappy with burroughs's play, and unless they see something way different than I do, it seems plain as day that he's filled that role more than adequately.

people just like to assume negative things because it makes them feel good to lash out at public figures on the internet. 

Edited by tas

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Keep reading what i posted as the answer is within? Nice reach for something to complain about lmfao

so ... it's a must win or they'll lose to seattle? that's the ultimate consequence of the "must win"?

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol high event hockey. What does that even mean? Tons of scoring chances for the other team?  Other teams certainly seem to enjoy our high event hockey. 

missed this one, sorry. did you ever actually look up that the canucks are being dominated in scoring chances? before you said you hadn't checked. 

but I mean, they outshot detroit 41-21. they outshot the 2 previous teams as well. what are you asking for? nobody is denying they stunk it up in buffalo, the team and coaches included. 

honestly, goaltending looked shaky in both of those losses and I feel like if they had got their normal standard in goal both nights, things might have gone differently. certainly not suggesting that a goalie should have to stand on his head every night, and elite teams are at least sometimes able to bail out their goalie on an off night, but the canucks aren't elite and they're going to need timely saves and sometimes a little extra. 

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

Did you not see him when Pearson had to take that double minor?  He literally skated out wide to let the Buffalo player to skate straight to the net, causing Pearson to reach in and take the double minor.  It literally looked like Pouliot out there.  Remember how many games he cost the Canucks by having one goal directly responsible as his fault every game?  Also, I hate everyone constantly trying to push the toughness agenda.  It is literally not needed to just have a straight tough guy in the lineup.  You liked what Roussell did in the Vegas series?  That was embarrassing.  You need tough guys who can play, not passengers who can fight.  This is not the 70's, this style of play has been obsolete for almost 20 years.

No I didn't see that and I'm not going to try and find it.  But I highly doubt Schenn, who is not afraid of physical contact, purposely allowed a player to "skate straight to the net".  Too slow to catch him maybe. And its a big stretch to put the high sticking, double minor on Pearson at Schenn's feet.  A holding or hooking you'd think would be the result of the scenerio you suggested.

And Schenn is not a player who costs one goal each game.  Did you not see the plus/minus stats I posted? He is literally tied with the best +/- with Rathbone at an even 0.  (He had a +2 playing for Tampa last season).  Back up your claims at least.

Plus...he adds toughness.  Yes there should be a "toughness agenda" for every team.  You need a balance. Obviously you don't want a whole team of goons. But you do need SOME players who are bigger and willing to get their hands dirty on every team, especially when the playoffs come. And we don't have many, or any, besides Schenn.  And his skating is fine. As a 5/6 D especially if he's not full time, he is perfect for this team.

19 minutes ago, tas said:

so ... it's a must win or they'll lose to seattle? that's the ultimate consequence of the "must win"?

Why are you digging soo deep?? I'm simply saying going into the first ever game in seattle with a win over chicago will help us as it will be a loud, Intimidating building... Nothing more lol

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why are you digging soo deep?? I'm simply saying going into the first ever game in seattle with a win over chicago will help us as it will be a loud, Intimidating building... Nothing more lol

sorry, I've seen many people throughout the last couple gdt/pgts refer to these early games as must wins in earnest. yours looked much the same. it is what it is. 

52 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't think recency matters?

regardless, let's say my reason is wrong, and my other reasons are wrong, whatever. it makes no difference. the point of having depth is to use it, and it's only advantageous to rotate guys through. keeps guys fresh, and keeps guys from getting rusty. gives the coaching staff the ability to have teaching moments by saying, hey, take a night or two off and watch the game from the press box, and keep an eye out for a, b and c. it makes the team stronger and deeper. it keeps everyone involved, bought in, pulling in the same direction. 

there has been zero indication that the coaches are unhappy with burroughs's play, and unless they see something way different than I do, it seems plain as day that he's filled that role more than adequately.

people just like to assume negative things because it makes them feel good to lash out at public figures on the internet. 

Not really Green’s m.o. Players have been scratched for extended periods under him.  He has also explained in the past that he goes with the lineup that gives him the best chance to win.  Don’t think it’s necessary to look further than that. 

It could be a similar situation to Juolevi where perception doesn’t necessarily align with what the coaches see.  The coaches know the system they want to play and will notice the execution details.  They have access to far more data and can notice if players are applying/correcting what they are telling them. 

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Not really Green’s m.o. Players have been scratched for extended periods under him.  He has also explained in the past that he goes with the lineup that gives him the best chance to win.  Don’t think it’s necessary to look further than that. 

It could be a similar situation to Juolevi where perception doesn’t necessarily align with what the coaches see.  The coaches know the system they want to play and will notice the execution details.  They have access to far more data and can notice if players are applying/correcting what they are telling them. 

maybe, I guess we'll see. my money is on burroughs going back in when quinn is healthy. 

13 minutes ago, tas said:

maybe, I guess we'll see. my money is on burroughs going back in when quinn is healthy. 

Maybe already vs Chicago.  Vancouver is coming off a pretty poor performance and maybe they re-assess and see Burroughs as the better option.  

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So yes the team needs to work harder so I get why Greens working them in practice.

But the bigger problem comes down to execution. Good teams don’t have to win board battles all game long in their own zone. That’s what’s burning the team out and making them look tired by the end of the game.

The focus on practice should by making quick outlet passes and moving the puck out of the zone. We’re struggling making simple plays there and it’s causing turnovers that lead to sustained pressure.

Focus on moving the puck and making clean zone exits. That’s 100% this teams biggest area of weakness right now. More time in our own zone is gonna burn our guys out and cause injuries.

Thinking that they just need to win more board battles is counterintuitive IMO. They have the puck movers now that zone exits should be easy. The best teams in the league have 3 or 4 set breakouts they use again and again it shouldn’t be a constant struggle. The Canucks are making the simple plays look difficult right now though.

Yeah. The best defense is the best offense. Spend more offensive zone time, and that's better defense than trying to defend in your own zone. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

missed this one, sorry. did you ever actually look up that the canucks are being dominated in scoring chances? before you said you hadn't checked. 

but I mean, they outshot detroit 41-21. they outshot the 2 previous teams as well. what are you asking for? nobody is denying they stunk it up in buffalo, the team and coaches included. 

honestly, goaltending looked shaky in both of those losses and I feel like if they had got their normal standard in goal both nights, things might have gone differently. certainly not suggesting that a goalie should have to stand on his head every night, and elite teams are at least sometimes able to bail out their goalie on an off night, but the canucks aren't elite and they're going to need timely saves and sometimes a little extra. 

Haven’t looked it up yet. Had hockey practice tonight.

Outshooting a team is a good first step especially considering last year. The problem is the Canucks far too often aren’t really dangerous with the puck. They don’t get a lot of quality shots that could be seen as truly dangerous.

The goalie having to play pretty much a perfect game to have a chance to win is a strong sign your team is not playing well.

The roster is fine. A couple of holes but really should be more consistently dangerous. The problem is this is not a dump and chase, stand around passively letting other teams assault your goalie type of roster. But that’s the only system our coaches are willing to put in place.

Green and Baumgartner are huge problems. And our PP coach is clearly listening too much to the Sedins as 2011 called they want their strategy back. Before you tell me it was effective tell me who on our current team is Henrik and who is Daniel. No one plays the way they did.

The drop pass isn’t on its own bad. It’s only bad when you do it so slowly that you don’t attack the line with speed. Which pretty much sums up the last two years. When they get set up the talent sometimes takes over but even now they are far too stationary and predictable. Just like the Canucks ended up being against Boston. 

Good coaches recognize when they need to adjust. We have seen very little adjustment from last years tire fire.