The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, stawns said:

Miller

I knew you had him in mind.

I disagree, completely.  The guy who showed some physicality last night and was actually hitting?  He and Schenn are much needed to give us a bit of an edge because we are "fun to play against" if you don't have guys with a little snarl on the ice.  

I disagree 100%.  

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd bet my bottom dollar there's a power struggle between Bo and JT

I completely doubt it.  That's just your own brain connecting dots with NOTHING substantial.  

Opinions are fine (and I did ask), but this is drama that is completely unfounded and likely based on surface value observation of JT.  He's a grumpy bear...but we need a grumpy bear on the ice.  

Anyhow...mine, too, is surface value observation so....

JT's likely my favourite player and I am biased.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean it's also possible FA set an internal budget for coaches and it is what it is.. 

green is being paid 1mil per year on his contract or was on his previous i don't see him getting more than what he did on his current..

gerald gallant on the other hand is getting 3.5mil per year.. gerald's 4 year contract would be enough to pay for 14 years worth of green.. so maybe FA doesn't want to spend extra if he doesn't have to as long as he can squeeze into the playoff for the revenue winning or not don't matter.

Green got a raise from 1M.  Chris Johnston was saying that the Brind'Amour contract was the comparable.  

Just now, stawns said:

I think that's an accurate assessment, though I don't see lack of push back as much of an issue.  They don't look bullied to me out there, they look like they're unsure of their teammates right now.

Remember Colorado a few years ago........I feel van is in a similar spot.

Totally agree with the Av’s comparison. They went deep in the playoffs and then fell backwards for 2-3 years. Fans were calling for Sakic’s blood. No they didn’t look bullied but the Oilers were working the boards well. 

I would add Podz and Bailey to the push back group. They were making regular contact. I like them both for regular TOI.

11 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

I love Miller but he was the worst player on the ice tonight. What an absolute stinker

of a game for him. Just floating and making bad passes all night. Why does 

he not get benched like Garland? Like WTF messages are you sending Green?

I am so sick of Green and his "favorites", You and your favorites "SUCK" Green! That Garland guy is playing pretty OK though. Actually, anyone that is NOT on the LOTTO Line is playing better. B)

I would have played the heck out of the 2nd and 3rd line last night but what do I know.

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I disagree, completely.  The guy who showed some physicality last night and was actually hitting?  He and Schenn are much needed to give us a bit of an edge because we are "fun to play against" if you don't have guys with a little snarl on the ice.  

I disagree 100%.  

Yes he does that, but he also repeatedly makes dumb passes, then stands there for a couple of seconds to get mad at himself; before getting his butt in gear to backcheck.

Way to much pouting, for my liking.

Also he's still worth a lot in trade, and he is the oldest of the top forwards-which might be part of the problem in itself.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's decades of being in dressing rooms and classrooms and knowing what it looks like

You haven't been in this dressing room though.

And, as a teacher/coach, you can't stereotype players based on others that you've seen before.  To assess based on previous groups because individuals are just that.

Anyhow, you've made some good points but you've also rallied against the top line for a long time now so I'm sure you're biased (too).

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Green was showing favoritism to Boeser over Virtanen, he was obviously very correct in doing so. Just sayin'

In Green's defense, I was also thinking that.

It's the stuff we don't see that a coach does.   The attitude, work ethic, maturity, character flaws.  Seems he nailed this one.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yes he does that, but he also repeatedly makes dumb passes, then stands there for a couple of seconds to get mad at himself; before getting his butt in gear to backcheck.

Way to much pouting, for my liking.

Also he's still worth a lot in trade, and he is the oldest of the top forwards-which might be part of the problem in itself.

And for all the line juggling that TG does, you never see Miller on Bo's line

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I completely doubt it.  That's just your own brain connecting dots with NOTHING substantial.  

Opinions are fine (and I did ask), but this is drama that is completely unfounded and likely based on surface value observation of JT.  He's a grumpy bear...but we need a grumpy bear on the ice.  

Anyhow...mine, too, is surface value observation so....

JT's likely my favourite player and I am biased.

I love JT as well. Love how he hates losing. Not liking him his end to last year, and to start this year. For one, his passing is atrocious. 

6 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Green has been using the same system that is so bad defensively and inability to score the first goal for a long time.  He is repeating the same system expecting the different result is a definition of insanity. Same combination, same method of training camp, same bag skates, same PP, same dump and chase which doesn't work at all.  I feel that the Canucks players doesn't learn a new system.   I wonder if JB insisting that system because it seemed a similar system that WD used to employ.  JB, prove us wrong with new coach with new system that fits in this current core.  

I would like to add to my statement.  He does not trust his players to produce more offense and using dump and chase is very telling.  How can he coach this team if he does not trust them?  Benning brought those players so that Green can produce a new system that fits and encourage offence.   He has opportunity to create 3 scoring lines but he is play8ing them like all 4 checking lines.   Benning has to make a hard decision concerning Green and he lost few good players to waivers because Green doesn't trust them making the team and had to trade them away.   Win or lose, I would want some trust by my coach.  Green sure didn't show his trust in his own players.  I feel that it is time to let him go.   Hopefully Benning sees that way sooner rather than later. 

• Vintage 1

Imagine we could start 4-0, 6-0,8-0.  It’s the same thing every year. At the end of the year they say it’s unacceptable and they can’t start this way. What do they do? Start poorly again. Something is wrong with the makeup. They need a player to take charge. Not only say enough is enough but actually make a difference on the ice. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont think this is it. At all.

JT and Bo are far too pro and all round good guys.

This is a developing core with a coach that may not be very good and have to go . 

I wouldn't want Miller on my team.  

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I disagree 100%.  

Different people approach the game differently. Miller seems to amp out his stress to create energy and is very visual. That can be received differently by team mates. Bo seems to internalize a lot more and since he is captain might not think he can be as visual as Miller is. Indirectly they could compliment each other. Their team mates could draw from both depending on the situation. 

Stawns does bring up an interesting point however. Is it a winner take all on who leds a team? For some players it might be. Being a fly on the locker room wall might be interesting.

Edited by Boudrias
Error

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that's an accurate assessment, though I don't see lack of push back as much of an issue.  They don't look bullied to me out there, they look like they're unsure of their teammates right now.

Remember Colorado a few years ago........I feel van is in a similar spot.

Colorado was a more competative though (6 out of the 7 ten seasons they had a regular season record of .500 or better or when Sakic came aboard).  We've been .500 or better 2 times in the last 7 or when Benning came aboard.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, rekker said:

I love JT as well. Love how he hates losing. Not liking him his end to last year, and to start this year. For one, his passing is atrocious. 

It is...it's glaring.  He's really using that no look pass that feeds the puck directly to our opponents stick right up the middle at times.  Can't disagree with that, but it's fixable.

• Cheers 1