The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

that beats being pissed off for 60 minutes per night and how much longer the afterglow lasts. 

I'm tired of watching the way the team is being deployed as well. If it doesn't change soon, I might cancel my SN Now and pick up the AHL package and enjoy watching Klimovich develop. 

That’ll learn em’ 

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

And that eventually happens with all coaches. 

Right now the line blender starts very early in games but you never see Pearson without Horvat. That limits what should be a very flexible top 6. 

Pearson needing to be with Horvat is Green’s kryptonite. Garland, Hoglander, hell even Podkolzin should be top 6 ahead of Pearson especially on a team struggling to generate offense. Trying to balance every line to do all things rather than carving out roles for lines is a huge weakness of these coaches. That’s why we see Highmore getting offensive shifts, etc. No actual role based on their actual strengths, just based on what Green hopes they can be. 

He is incredibly biased and it’s clouded his judgment too far now to get back to objectivity.

Yeah; and the players (for the most part) know the hierarchy in the locker room.  Sucks for some and gravy for others; no real accountability, rather only a false one at it.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same here. Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat are more than capable of taking over a game. Same with OEL and others. With this roster, the output should be a lot better. One thing I notice is the varying degrees of effort from player to player. Some play all out, others seem tentative. The only way the team makes a dent is of they’re all on the same page. Will it happen?

what I don't see is lazy or apathy from the guys, not yet. Some pretty great individual efforts actually, I really like watching Hughes get back to break up plays this year, he's busting his ass. 

If this team isn't firing on all lines, Green gets exposed. We never seem to have a game plan when things are down, other than the blender.

dan aykroyd blender GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what I don't see is lazy or apathy from the guys, not yet. Some pretty great individual efforts actually, I really like watching Hughes get back to break up plays this year, he's busting his ass. 

If this team isn't firing on all lines, Green gets exposed. We never seem to have a game plan when things are down, other than the blender.

Full video of the Green Blend-o-matic:

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not getting my SN money? maybe it will. It'll help my blood pressure too. 

I watch this stuff for fun, not to get annoyed. 

Exactly. More often than not watching Canucks games these past few years has bummed me out. I’m not paying to bum myself out so I canceled my SNNow subscription a few days ago. I got 2 more games out of it, hoping I’d see something in those games to give me hope, but nope. I’ll resubscribe after the coaching change ;)

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, JM_ said:

That’s delicious bass. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I checked out in Feb last season because I was sick of watching Green forcing the same bull$&!# structure night after night and finding every single way to explain the losses without ever once holding himself and his staff accountable.

He's employing the same losing tactics night after night and somehow expects different results. Just an epic coaching fail. He makes no effort to change the structure, just the line mix.  

Very disappointed he wasn't canned in the summer. Imagine thinking he deserves another shot when he's unwilling to adapt at all. New roster, same problems.

What does that tell you?

I guess it's all Bennings fault the new guys can't play under greens system. Time to make green head coach and gm. So he can implement his system correctly.  If that fails then time to sell the Canucks. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

If we score on a couple of close ones, which we had lots of................yes, it wasn't as bad as some say

Always hate when people say things like this. If what actually happened didn't happen then the outcome would have been different.

I think I watched 5-8 seconds of the game. Turned it on, goal for Oilers, saw 2-0, turned it off.  Haven't watched a full Canucks game in 2 years.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Greens systems are outdated for the current NHL. The lotto line is struggling for sure. But the team is just not built to play the style and systems Green and Baumgartner want them to play.

A new coach, preferably an experienced one, would likely be able to get more out of this group. Sometimes a fresh perspective on players makes a big difference.

I struggle thinking of any other coach who would demote and reduce the ice time of the one guy showing some hustle and emotion. 

Pearson, EP, Miller, Highmore, etc all should lose ice time before Garland.

How are those systems outdated?  If anything they're more relevant now than when you could hook, hold etc.  They're just not executing

5 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Always hate when people say things like this. If what actually happened didn't happen then the outcome would have been different.

I think I watched 5-8 seconds of the game. Turned it on, goal for Oilers, saw 2-0, turned it off.  Haven't watched a full Canucks game in 2 years.

Too bad, it was actually a pretty good game

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

How are those systems outdated?  If anything they're more relevant now than when you could hook, hold etc.  They're just not executing

If you need to ask how a passive 5 man box defense is outdated, or a passive, stationary pk is outdated, or a dump and change or shoot from the perimeter offense is outdated, I really don’t know how to help you figure that out.

A good start is watching how other teams feast on it offensively with tons of high danger chances for and how they shut it down defensively without breaking a sweat.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

and that's not passion, that's a tantrum

Kind of disagree a little.   Yelling has its place in hockey...sure it's "harassment" in most other fields, but this is a sport and trying to wake up your troops has its  place in the game.   Not going to say more then that.    Don't think it's a distraction anyways.   Could hear Myers shouting at OJ last season too.    Where to go and what to do. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

If you need to ask how a passive 5 man box defense is outdated, or a passive, stationary pk is outdated, or a dump and change or shoot from the perimeter offense is outdated, I really don’t know how to help you figure that out.

A good start is watching how other teams feast on it offensively with tons of high danger chances for and how they shut it down defensively without breaking a sweat.

The box +1 isnt passive, persay.  It's oppotunistic.......you pressure the puck in certain areas (like corners and points) where you can confine the puck carrier and you jump on mistakes.  It's an excellent system when executed properly and it's far more effective in an era where you can't hook, hold etc.

44 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that beats being pissed off for 60 minutes per night and how much longer the afterglow lasts. 

I'm tired of watching the way the team is being deployed as well. If it doesn't change soon, I might cancel my SN Now and pick up the AHL package and enjoy watching Klimovich develop. 

Snag here is that just when you've watched Klimovich be ready for a try up in the bigs, management'll waive or trade him to accommodate has-beens or never-wozzers.

Gadj/Mac/OJ/Lind/Gauds/Rafferty/Dahlen .... the amount of young talent lost to our innate coaching naivety/stubborness has become stuff of legend.

At least tracking Guds, Marky and Tanev's resurgance under Flame's coaching is an entertaining watch, though a tad sad.

Calgary.  Of all places.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1