The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

55 minutes ago, Nave said:

People saying Pettersson is playing like an AHL player need to get a grip. He got an assist and several scoring chances. His shot isn't where it should be, but if Shesterkin didn't get a piece of that one timer that hit the crossbar, he would have got a goal.
As frustrating as our power play was to watch, Shesterkin deserves some credit for blanking us. 

So what your saying is if the goalie hadn’t saved the Pettersson shot he would have scored? No $&!#

And yes Pettersson is getting the odd chance, but not $7.25 million dollars worth of chances. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seriously, let's be real. Our powerplay has been garbage and our PK is leaky. We went &^@#ing 0/6, Podz couldn't have done any worse than the other guys did out there tonight on the powerplay or PK. 

#FreePodz 

Chiasson is garbage, they need to take his sorry a$$ off the PP. He's terrible 5 on 5, he's basically in the lineup to be a backboard on the PP which is a waste. I'd rather see Hogs or Podz in there. Hell, even Bailey, anybody but Chiasson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Like I’ve said before you can always tell when the Canucks are about to get out of a slump.  They’ve played pretty good 5v5 the last 3 games.  The offence will come if they play defence first.  And they need to get rid of the special teams coaches, the PP and the PK need an overhaul.   

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

The no more automatic whistle when goalie loses equipment is the dumbest rule ever.. like the ref can't make a discretionary call and blow the whistle if they deem it wasn't intentional? So what if demko gets a slap shot and his reflex throws his hand where the puck is and shatters/breaks it? Or his hand is on the ice and someone accidentally skates over it? Do they sue the league if he's injured? It was amazing he made the saves but it was super sketchy 

Yea that was ridiculous.

Should be the same as if the goalie lost his helmet. He could have done serious damage to his hand and even lost fingers.

Obviously if the goalie does it on purpose it’s delay if game. There shouldn’t be any issue blowing the whistle either way though.

• Vintage 2

43 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Absolutely! The kid had a beast of a game (1 goal, 3 shots, 6 hits) and only got 7 mins of ice time. Man Green drives me nuts sometimes. 

#FreePodz

He's basically EVERYTHING we were hoping out of Jake Virtanen. Take away the goal and Podz still had a good game.

This was Peterson’s best game s9 far this season. Yeah he only got 1 assist but his defensive positioning and work ethic was the Petey were used to seeing.  He was unlucky not to score but as long as his offence comes from and flows through his defensive game he’s going to start pilling up the points.   Just need a brand new PP and PK system. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea that was ridiculous.

Should be the same as if the goalie lost his helmet. He could have done serious damage to his hand and even lost fingers.

Obviously if the goalie does it on purpose it’s delay if game. There shouldn’t be any issue blowing the whistle either way though.

Ya neimi made a save couple years ago with his bare hand too and he was lucky it wasn't a hard shot. We are lucky demko didn't get hurt or we can write off the season and have more excuse for green and Benning lol

6 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Chiasson is garbage, they need to take his sorry a$$ off the PP. He's terrible 5 on 5, he's basically in the lineup to be a backboard on the PP which is a waste. I'd rather see Hogs or Podz in there. Hell, even Bailey, anybody but Chiasson

I think low key they wanted Chiasson on the 1st PP unit because they don’t want Boeser to have a monster year and have to pay him 8 mill after this season.  It’s kinda dirty, there’s nothing wrong with Boeser’s right hand shot on that left side.  It opens up Petey’s shot.  Right now their PP is far too predictable because they have hardly any shooting options. 

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Canucks need a threat to score on the left side of the PP.  Miller isn't a threat to score from that side.  Garland unfortunately can't shoot it as well as Brock can.  They need that one timer option or a hard accurate shooter which should be Brock.

I agree. Miller being on that left side makes the PP very predictable. We all know he's gonna do that stupid back pass to Hughes when JT has a wide open shot. The team can't just keep going back to the routine of setting up EP40 or Hughes for the shot. Teams know what we are doing and the coaching staff and the players aren't adapting.

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Like I’ve said before you can always tell when the Canucks are about to get out of a slump.  They’ve played pretty good 5v5 the last 3 games.  The offence will come if they play defence first.  And they need to get rid of the special teams coaches, the PP and the PK need an overhaul.   

ummm in the last 3 game Canucks 5v5 has been horrible, caused bad penalties and cost us games, it's been good in short stretches but the team is getting used to each other and it's improving and will continue and as for the PK and PP the system is there but it's not being executed fast enough but again that will improve at the same time, but how much time is the question but I'd rather see slow progression at least than none at all and all it will take is more practice and game time together. Simple...

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think low key they wanted Chiasson on the 1st PP unit because they don’t want Boeser to have a monster year and have to pay him 8 mill after this season.  It’s kinda dirty, there’s nothing wrong with Boeser’s right hand shot on that left side.  It opens up Petey’s shot.  Right now their PP is far too predictable because they have hardly any shooting options. 

interesting take if it's true but who knows for boeser and next year, can always be countered by possible chronic wrist problems in the future and his back as well but if he stays healthy and plays even decent according to his ability he'd probably bring in 6.5-7.5 depending on points he ends up with, if 30 goals it's 7.5 BUT also remember JB seems to be ok with bridge deals and it can be back loaded in timing with ELC's to help balance the cap but it's debatable if there's even a cap increase so it could be crucial especially if Klim works out.. 

Chaisson was signed for depth and had to be used but as Podz steals the show and Motte arriving, I don't think we'll be seeing much of him anymore.  

• Cheers 1

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that much was our defense tonight. I thought the addition of Hamonic made a positive difference to the d corps. They looked solid most of the game. The Schenn-Hamonic pairing was surprisingly not a significant drop off from the other pairings. As long as Hunt is keeping the seat in the press box warm, then I don't mind our D lineup and happy for Rathbone to be getting lots of minutes in Abby.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Miller Petterson Garland

Boeser Horvat Hogz

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Bailey Lammikko Motte

That should be our forward group going forward when Motte returns. 

No one else should be taking up a roster spot unless one of these guys are hurt or Sutter comes back 

Yeah I like the balance in that F lineup when Motte is back. Chiasson can stay at 4RW until that time.

And I'd like to see the lines play without constant changes - allow them to build chemistry and gel.

Then I would like to see the following special teams...whichever PP unit is playing best gets the first shift.

PP1A:

Pearson

Garland-Horvat-Pettersson     

OEL

PP1B:

Hoglander

Boeser-Miller-Podkolzin

Hughes

PK1:

Lammikko Motte

OEL Myers

PK2:

Dickinson Bailey

Poolman Hamonic

If a PKer is in the box, sub in Pearson, Miller or Schenn

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

What a game. Great win. Nice to finally get our first home win under our belt. Garland was a beast tonight with a pair of assists. Miller too with a pair of goals including the GWG. Huggy Bear set up Miller for the OT game winner and he did the rest. Demko was unbelievable especially late in the 3rd when there was chaos and he had to play without a glove for a moment. Let’s get the next one boys! GCG!

The stars of the game were all American born players. Next game the Canucks should skate out to Hulk Hogan’s theme song “Real American”

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

ummm in the last 3 game Canucks 5v5 has been horrible, caused bad penalties and cost us games, it's been good in short stretches but the team is getting used to each other and it's improving and will continue and as for the PK and PP the system is there but it's not being executed fast enough but again that will improve at the same time, but how much time is the question but I'd rather see slow progression at least than none at all and all it will take is more practice and game time together. Simple...

Not to worry -  we've been a slow progression for the last 8 years....................................and counting!  

(P.S.: Wake me up when we're out of the progression phase............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

image.jpeg.88ae3b8bb83a73d99a0712ba0603ef4b.jpeg

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Not to worry -  we've been a slow progression for the last 8 years....................................and counting!  

(P.S.: Wake me up when we're out of the progression phase............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

image.jpeg.88ae3b8bb83a73d99a0712ba0603ef4b.jpeg

Thank Mike Gillis for that one... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They have exactly one sequence they use over and over. Miller to Hughes to Petey. Rinse and repeat.

Well, two sequences I guess. Miller to Hughes to EP back to Hughes for a hybrid muffin/rainbow arced shot that misses the net.

You forgot the cross ice Miller to Petey that gets intercepted 80% of the time... 

• Haha 2