The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

How can the officials be such absolute trash? Yesterday was especially pathetic, to both teams. Hopefully the owners get Bettman turfed and someone takes over that will hold the officials accountable for their horrific standards of practice. The blown calls, the garbage make up calls, both are such a blight on the game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah the first call of that was ESPECIALLY week. But I'm talking about the blatant pick a NYR (Zib?) made on Hoglander in OT. It ended up turning out fine, but it was BLATANT interference.

Some game management going on for sure.   

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That shot hits his exposed hand or a stick does or a skate does. I mean it’s a no brainer to stop the play immediately.

Looked like some "game management"

crap too me ... OR they were just mesmerized by Demko.   It happens!

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How can the officials be such absolute trash? Yesterday was especially pathetic, to both teams. Hopefully the owners get Bettman turfed and someone takes over that will hold the officials accountable for their horrific standards of practice. The blown calls, the garbage make up calls, both are such a blight on the game. 

Ohh man the Boo's came down loud and proud. It was great! And timed good with a stoppage at that moment. The refs stood at center ice and just took it. 

If I was a mind reader I would say they were thinking that it's a good thing that there is glass between us and them. You know like where the soccer mom runs right onto the soccer pitch screaming. 

Some dufus walked by saying let's go Rangers I yelled at him Rangers suck! And that was at 2-0 lol

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Haha 2

Not pretty but (cliche alert) hopefully something they can build on.

The energy from the players and fans towards the end of the game was a first this season. Hopefully this is the start of a turnaround.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if the Rangers are thinking "We took steps tonight. At least Pettersson didn't score 5x5" :lol:

Rags are 6-2-2 in the season.  Nucks needed this win more than they do and those multiple consecutive PP's in the second, surely had an affect on there game.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bettman might have the trashed the game long term but short term, he has been making the owners alot of money:  expansion money.   Good chance, he retires and puts in a prodigy and still waiting on his decision on the Kyle Beach situation.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Looked like some "game management"

crap too me ... OR they were just mesmerized by Demko.   It happens!

I don’t think it was necessarily anything malicious. It just so rarely happens that it looked like the ref had no clue what he was supposed to do.

The thing to me is that really should be a common sense moment. Blow the whistle and protect the goalie there.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don’t think it was necessarily anything malicious. It just so rarely happens that it looked like the ref had no clue what he was supposed to do.

The thing to me is that really should be a common sense moment. Blow the whistle and protect the goalie there.

It also looked like Demko waved the ref to his right off with his exposed hand, or maybe he was showing the zebra that he didn't have his blocker. Man, if a puck hit his digits? 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ice Hockey Dad GIF by CBC

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I low key really like Lammikko. Big body and plays hard. Once Motte returns I think those two and Bailey might make for a good 4th line.

plus he has the most chantible hockey name. Ju-ho Lamm-i-kko! 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think I'm in the minority here in agreeing with the ref not to blow it down right away. Yes I understand it's dangerous, but everything about hockey is dangerous. Demko knew enough to protect his hand. It's long practice not to stop forward momentum, even when a defender goes down hard blocking a shot. Also consider the fact that Demko lost his blocker because of his own players diving to cover the net.

If it was the other way around and the Nucks were pressing for a game winning goal I would be pissed if they blew it down while we still had momentum. Could you imagine how much a goalie like Smith would abuse this if he only had to drop a piece of equipment to stop play?

I'm not saying to never stop play, just agreeing that the ref waited an appropriate amount of time to allow play to unfold, then blew it down. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sounds to me like the refs were given instructions a few years ago to not blow the whistle until the defending team got control of the puck or got it out of their zone. Either way it’s a stupid and dangerous way to interpret a rule. 

9ED0B790-3E51-46B2-9597-FBA21A40875E.jpeg

Thanks @4petesake. That's a very stupid rule. A goalie could have every bone in their hand shattered by a puck. This league...

• Vintage 4

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think I'm in the minority here in agreeing with the ref not to blow it down right away. Yes I understand it's dangerous, but everything about hockey is dangerous. Demko knew enough to protect his hand. It's long practice not to stop forward momentum, even when a defender goes down hard blocking a shot. Also consider the fact that Demko lost his blocker because of his own players diving to cover the net.

If it was the other way around and the Nucks were pressing for a game winning goal I would be pissed if they blew it down while we still had momentum. Could you imagine how much a goalie like Smith would abuse this if he only had to drop a piece of equipment to stop play?

I'm not saying to never stop play, just agreeing that the ref waited an appropriate amount of time to allow play to unfold, then blew it down. 

This is exactly why they didn’t blow it down.

I can see it from their perspective. Goalies would start dropping their glove on purpose to get a whistle. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

What do you guys think of the Schenn - Hamonic pairing?? I think they got the job done... you could tell it wasn't easy for Schenn to play on his unnatural left side... I really wonder how much longer this will persist... we need a solid LHD to round out the defensive pairings... Schenn is great as the 7th guy!! 

12 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Exactly. It incentivizes a G like Smith to concentrate 100% of his acting on flops rather than attempting to stop play when he feels like like throwing a tantrum (and his equipment).  Should call it the Mike Smith rule.

• Upvote 1