The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Eichel and 2023 3rd to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, 2022 1st, and 2023 2nd

qwijibo

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

And if Eichel never plays again if the surgery goes poorly, or Vegas misses the playoffs gives up a lottery pick and has to gut their team next year because all their players come back from LTIR making them 15 mill over the cap, or Krebs becomes an elite D man as good as Theodore like he’s projected to be, this has the potential to be one of the worst trades in NHL history Vegas way.  Vegas has taken all the risk.

Krebs is a forward. But point still taken.

5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

And if Eichel never plays again if the surgery goes poorly, or Vegas misses the playoffs gives up a lottery pick and has to gut their team next year because all their players come back from LTIR making them 15 mill over the cap, or Krebs becomes an elite C man like he’s projected to be, this has the potential to be one of the worst trades in NHL history Vegas way.  Vegas has taken all the risk.

I believe the pick is top 10 protected   But yes. Vegas is taking the risk and on the flip side may get the bigger reward for it. 

F*ck 

Vegas just became a powerhouse. 

Our only hope is that they keep sucking without Stone and Eichel. 

They're going to blow out the rest of the division along with Edmonton next year. 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I believe the pick is top 10 protected   But yes. Vegas is taking the risk and on the flip side may get the bigger reward for it. 

If they pick top 10 this year, they could very well be just as bad next year after gutting their team as well, especially if Eichel doesn’t get back to form.  While I never want to see an elite player to have that happen, screw Vegas lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

If they pick top 10 this year, they could very well be just as bad next year after gutting their team as well, especially if Eichel doesn’t get back to form.  While I never want to see an elite player to have that happen, screw Vegas lol.

Or they could suck this year while having all their big guns on ltir, pick top 10, get their top guys back plus a top young player and bounce back next season. 

Knowing Vegas, this is what will happen :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

F*ck 

They're going to blow out the rest of the division along with Edmonton next year. 

They’re gonna have to probably trade 2 of Paciorretty, Marchessault, Martinez, Theodore, Karlsson, or Dadonov for basically nothing to get under the cap next year.  They’re becoming way too top heavy like Toronto.  They now have 3 players taking up 30 mill of cap, 2 of them with a full NMC.

• Vintage 1

Eichel's still pretty young so there are still quite a few years for him to contribute positively to Vegas.  They're clearly in "win now" mode though, even if all their top forwards are injured at the moment.  The huge wildcard is whether Eichel will perform at the same level he did prior to his injury.  There's good reason to believe he should be able to, but he's been out of action for awhile, so even if he is able to get back to that level, it might take awhile and may not even really happen this season.  Considering Eichel's probably not going to be back until after the Olympic break, my guess is this season may be a bit of a "write-off" if the remaining healthy players on the team cannot keep pace to be competitive for the playoffs.  They don't really have a great deal in the pipeline so they're going to need restock over the next few years.

Personally I think this is an even trade.  Yes, a healthy Eichel around 2-years ago would have probably rewarded the Sabres a lot more, but as far as his current situation goes, I don't think this is a slam dunk for Vegas.  A disk replacement sounds very serious.  I think Tuch is a good complimentary player but as others have pointed out, he is injury prone.  Still, Tuch will provide the Sabres a deeper forward group and they are already playing more like a team than they have over the last few years.  Krebs joins a team with a relatively large group of young players who might just be starting to find their game in the NHL.  They are still far from a contender but the trade should at least translate an injured, disgruntled player with a huge contract into pieces that should help make them more difficult to play against in the immediate term.  Obviously a "lost" trade if you compare the return with what Eichel was and could still be, but not terrible when considering the risk that Eichel may not return to full form after his surgery.

2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

so let me get this straight... Vegas is rolling the dice, HOPING that Eichel can EVER return to playing.

I'll be the first one to let out a big belly laugh if this trade goes down as a great big cluster**** for Vegas. 

OR, they gambled that either way Eichel will help out the franchise by putting up PPG for the next few years…or giving them another LTIR candidate which equals more cap space to use and abuse in acquiring other talent/pieces and or contracts when their older players are too banged up to play (aka Robidas Island) and they have to bury contracts…

it’s Vegas. The house will win on this bet.

3 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

That rumoured flames package seemed way better!

Usually in these situations there is one team that s seriously in it and another gets used as a decoy.

Craig Button has reported that the Flames were never in on this which makes me think that Buffalo played this well. I doubt the Flames offered Tkachuk on this.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

F*ck 

You have almost gotta wonder if they are gonna purposefully tank now this season. Trading 2 roster players for someone that likely doesn't play till the TDL at least.  Protection on that first round pick.  Lots of injuries and lots of salary to move. 

Either that or they are planning a Tampa and hoping they can creep into the playoffs then unleash the LTIR crew to massive advantage. 

Either way its a smart play, by a continually aggressive team who aren't afraid to make ballsy moves to compete at a high level. 

You gotta like the fit of Eichel on VGK too - even when we played them in the bubble - the narrative was Demko stood on his head, but in reality out of the 40 odd shots he was facing, very few were high danger. They needed more skill and scoring ability down the middle to complement the rest of their really strong possession, checking and defensive power. Stronger teams that we were have exposed that in the post season ever since.

Also sucks he was traded out west - 2 'generational' players in our div ( Well McDavid sure as $&!# is ) but glad it wasn't to the Flames... that would have really sucked. 

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

What a cutthroat organization. Only five remaining members left on that original Vegas Squad. McNabb, Karlsson, Theodore, Marchessalt and Smith. Sure players want to play in Vegas but if they keep being disloyal  and trade away players that wanted to be with that team (Vezina winning Flower) you will probably have players having second thoughts about signing or being traded there. 

You know Vegas has to trade someone else to make room for Echel. They aren’t done and will have to do a Nate Schmit trade to get cap compliant.

I really hope they fail on their window without a cup and have no prospect pool. Gotta grow your talent like everyone else. What home grown Vegas pick has been a home grown star sticking around anyways?

Taxes, the city, NHL darling franchise, ownership willing to spend…it’s always going to be a viable player destination unless they start putting together a Coyotes caliber roster.  Even then, it makes for an amazing retirement home for an aging NHL vet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Crazy too see how much Eichel's value fell.

It fell for sure - still that's a pretty good haul for the sabers there. 3 First round picks was always mentioned as the kinda bench mark and that is what they got.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It fell for sure - still that's a pretty good haul for the sabers there. 3 First round picks was always mentioned as the kinda bench mark and that is what they got.

Not a bad haul, no doubt. Tuch is probably a top six forward when healthy. Krebs oozes potential, but he hasn't done anything in the NHL just yet. Likely just a matter of time.

26 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Taxes, the city, NHL darling franchise, ownership willing to spend…it’s always going to be a viable player destination unless they start putting together a Coyotes caliber roster.  Even then, it makes for an amazing retirement home for an aging NHL vet.

I agree with what you say with the beginning. Both Schmit (bought a house and still has it in Vegas but now plays in Winnipeg LOL) and Fleury thought it would be a nice retirement home as well. But were both loyal and key parts to the team only to be traded for nothing. It’s nice for the players that stay there but my original point being there are not many players leftover from the expansion team. They need to have championship success for this method to be sustainable. Hope they don’t and it doesn’t. 

bottom line is I’m sure it’s great to play in Vegas until you don’t play in Vegas anymore.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 2