The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Eichel and 2023 3rd to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, 2022 1st, and 2023 2nd

qwijibo

What a cutthroat organization. Only five remaining members left on that original Vegas Squad. McNabb, Karlsson, Theodore, Marchessalt and Smith. Sure players want to play in Vegas but if they keep being disloyal  and trade away players that wanted to be with that team (Vezina winning Flower) you will probably have players having second thoughts about signing or being traded there. 

You know Vegas has to trade someone else to make room for Echel. They aren’t done and will have to do a Nate Schmit trade to get cap compliant.

I really hope they fail on their window without a cup and have no prospect pool. Gotta grow your talent like everyone else. What home grown Vegas pick has been a home grown star sticking around anyways?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, coryberg said:

So vegas will slip him onto the LTIR and then bring him back on day one of the playoffs? This is kucherov 2.0.

I'm hoping the league can close up this cap circumvention loop hole in the future. I would like a rule that a player has to play at least 20 regular season games (AHL or NHL) in order to be eligible for the stanley cup playoffs. I mean come on, kucherov couldn't play all year but miraculously could play game 1 and look healthier than any other player in the league... but of course he couldn't play any regular season games, he wasn't ready.

Any team could do that except for the Canucks, which will get punish immediately.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Eichel to be out 5 months, keeps him out until playoffs.

Cap problem solved, until the offseason.

Vegas, without Jack, might not make the playoffs.  They could be a lottery team.  It was very smart to top ten protect that first.  They might end up with a top ten pick in 2022, and a healthy Jack Eichel.  Then next year, with a healthy Jack, they go on another deep playoff run and Buffalo ends of with a pick in the late 20s.  

Buffalo ends up with:

Krebs who is a big question if he's even an NHL player.

Tuch, who has injury issues.

A first round pick that is late 20's

Pretty much the Sabres are happy with clearing Jack's full contract, and that might be all they end up from this deal.  

• Upvote 1

Good point on NHL Network just now. They called Kings the losers here saying LA could of quite easily scraped together a similar package. I tend to agree. LA is deep enough with young talent to take the gamble and if it paid off they would be set moving forward. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

What a cutthroat organization. Only five remaining members left on that original Vegas Squad. McNabb, Karlsson, Theodore, Marchessalt and Smith. Sure players want to play in Vegas but if they keep being disloyal  and trade away players that wanted to be with that team (Vezina winning Flower) you will probably have players having second thoughts about signing or being traded there. 

You know Vegas has to trade someone else to make room for Echel. They aren’t done and will have to do a Nate Schmit trade to get cap compliant.

I really hope they fail on their window without a cup and have no prospect pool. Gotta grow your talent like everyone else. What home grown Vegas pick has been a home grown star sticking around anyways?

Well, I don't think that would bother any players if that means they can go to a Cup contender.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Good point on NHL Network just now. They called Kings the losers here saying LA could of quite easily scraped together a similar package. I tend to agree. LA is deep enough with young talent to take the gamble and if it paid off they would be set moving forward. 

I guess the Kings know they are rebuilding and it is better for them to pile up draft picks and prospects than chasing another star player. After all they already got 2 Cups in the recent years.

4 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

True. Couple things to add to that. Players sign cheaper to play in Vegas with it's low taxes and favorable weather. Let's face it, it's Vegas baby! Then it seems they are quite easily traded. I don't know, I'd be leary of signing cheaper there. I look at Tuch and this trade has probably cost him at least a million dollars moving to a high tax New York team. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm obviously in the minority as I see this as a terrible trade for Vegas, who are already on their way down.  Now, they trade Tuch, a blazing fast pfwd with good hands, a #17 pick (who many had pegged to go higher), next years first and a 2nd or 3rd..,......for an injury plagued guy who might never be the same and who's had some good seasons, but hasn't accomplished much yet in his career.

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At first blush I thought the Sabres didn’t get enough. What they get now will help a roster that has been doing much better than expected. Add some first rounders and whatever they work out to be.  Moving Eichel let’s them move on. The deal was obviously the best out there. Buffalo is building up quite a stable of young talent.

Most of the risk in this deal is on Vegas. To much time at the roulette wheel IMHO. Their doctors must have been happy with the prognosis but Eichel hasn’t even had his surgery yet. This deal could blow up in their faces. 

I hope you and Stawns are right, &^@# Vegas. I hope he doesn't return to form.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He's an ugly dude, their ugly colours will suit him.

• Haha 3
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, ey40 said:

I guess the Kings know they are rebuilding and it is better for them to pile up draft picks and prospects than chasing another star player. After all they already got 2 Cups in the recent years.

Ya, but 24 year old players like Eichel don't come available often. He would fit right in. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out and it totally depends on how Eichel looks next year. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Servalli claimed there was a defenseman involved.

I assumed it was Theodore to make the dollars work. 

Also this deal is garbage for the Sabres. They’re getting a late 1st, an okay prospect, and a 25 year old 50 point player?

This has the potential to become one of the worst trades in NHL history if Eichel get healthy and back to 100 point level.

And if Eichel never plays again if the surgery goes poorly, or Vegas misses the playoffs gives up a lottery pick and has to gut their team next year because all their players come back from LTIR making them 15 mill over the cap, or Krebs becomes an elite C man like he’s projected to be, this has the potential to be one of the worst trades in NHL history Vegas way.  Vegas has taken all the risk.

Edited by Rindiculous